• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Drivers Manchester stations - February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Economist

I do wonder if Arriva will be more open to those who'd need to relocate. It does look like one of the more interesting franchises to drive for but I'd never relocate just so that I could apply without a guaranteed rejection.

Aivilo

A very experienced friend has had an application in for 2 years waiting for said depots and was told recently when chasing up that there will be no recruitment in the foreseeable future

WCMLaddict

Aivilo, pity I can't send you a message.
We are taking on some experienced drivers... let's leave this thread for trainees.

Sammy h

Just outside the radius yet again. I think my only hope is Barrow/Preston. Not many TOCS let you relocate..

Osian85

This is infuriating; I know why the 45min rule is in place, and its a sound theory that you dont want people tired from travelling to and from work but currently I work over 45mins away from home and its not even remotely a problem, I even work with people commuting double that! Surely its about best people for the job!? why limit your captive audience so? there cant be THAT many perfect candidates all with 45mins of each TOC keeping this rule ticking over...

I would love to apply for this role, and happily relocate which could easily be achieved long before the start date (ie after training is complete).

Nevermind eh...

kelv

Bit surprised at it saying "Ongoing" on the job ad as opposed to there being a closing date coupled with closing when a number of applicants being reached.

Anyone idea why this is the case for something that always attracts a high volume of applicants ? and from what I've read on here there are also people sat in talent pools ?

sw1ller

Established Member
I do wonder if Arriva will be more open to those who'd need to relocate. It does look like one of the more interesting franchises to drive for but I'd never relocate just so that I could apply without a guaranteed rejection.

Arriva will let you relocate, I got to the interview stage with them for a job well over an hour away. I just didn't convince them enough I was happy to move.

Why do you say they would be "one of the more interesting franchises to drive for"? Just curious.

Economist

Glad to hear that Arriva are happier for people to relocate, I'll likely wait until they fully take over the franchise and implement their way of doing things before I consider an application though. I've applied for Northern a couple of times living outside of the radius and haven't made it past the sift.

I think it's one of the more interesting ones for a few reasons. Plenty of routes, operates both diesel and electric, plus there is bound to be some huge stock orders to replace the Pacers that they have.

Aivilo

Bit surprised at it saying "Ongoing" on the job ad as opposed to there being a closing date coupled with closing when a number of applicants being reached.

Anyone idea why this is the case for something that always attracts a high volume of applicants ? and from what I've read on here there are also people sat in talent pools ?

Disclaimer in the advert stating they reserve the right to close early

kelv

Disclaimer in the advert stating they reserve the right to close early

yeah, there's usually a date on though. Ongoing suggests that they are always on the lookout for trainee drivers, like on the qualified driver add they have when in reality the trainee jobs dont come up so often.

Aivilo

Trainee jobs come up quite frequently they unfortunately disappear quite quickly also. A friend of mine has had a qualified application in since early 2014 with no joy

Louby

Trainee jobs come up quite frequently they unfortunately disappear quite quickly also. A friend of mine has had a qualified application in since early 2014 with no joy

Been 2 yrs since man recruited

kelv

Don't know if anyone else is encountering what I am with the 'Alerts' but mine seem to come through about 24hrs after the Job ads are Posted, which at times could see me missing getting an application in if I only rely on that as opposed to checking about a dozen times a day.
For this application I reckon I'd checked about 10 minutes before it was posted on Friday & only saw it on Saturday morning, I was about to go out so had to rush getting it in a bit, fortunately most details were already in from conductor apps but there was an extra section to complete, penny to a pound that if I hadnt done it then it wouldve been taken off by the time I got home.
The Job Alert only arrived on Saturday Evening & in previous cases the Ad wouldve have been taken down due to numbers.

bruebunny

Don't know if I've screwed up my application or worrying over nothing. I put that I don't have my own transportation in the early yes no section, but my address is in the city centre already, I just don't have a car. Will they notice that, or insta fail me from the application? Should I send an email of.clarification, or leave it be and cross my fingers? Been chasing this position for years and this is only the second time I've managed to apply for a local job application, so don't want to lose out because I didn't clarify my position well enough :(

Aivilo

My advice to everyone I've ever helped get into the industry is don't rely on alerts. Become a little obsessive, have the tocs bookmarked in favourites and check already twice a day. Once the application is available take your time but complete it as soon as possible

WCMLaddict

Bruebunny, that will very likely mean your application is not going to progress anywhere.
The question isn't asking if you own a car. Try to contact HR to amend it but I'm not sure that can be done now.

DH1986

Don't know if I've screwed up my application or worrying over nothing. I put that I don't have my own transportation in the early yes no section, but my address is in the city centre already, I just don't have a car. Will they notice that, or insta fail me from the application? Should I send an email of.clarification, or leave it be and cross my fingers? Been chasing this position for years and this is only the second time I've managed to apply for a local job application, so don't want to lose out because I didn't clarify my position well enough :(

I did the same on an application for Conductor last year, and got through the sift fine, they're subject to the same rules around travelling time/distance.

kaine19

Thought I'd liven this thread up again haha. I got invited for interview for next Wednesday but couldn't make it due to flying to florida on Monday. Gutted but she mentioned I will be on next Interviews and they are taking on loads throughout the year

bruebunny

Thought I'd liven this thread up again haha. I got invited for interview for next Wednesday but couldn't make it due to flying to florida on Monday. Gutted but she mentioned I will be on next Interviews and they are taking on loads throughout the year

Is this for the Manchester intake? It seems like your application was connected to the October post, rather than the February post for trainees.

Shrimper

Hmm, I applied in Feb and haven't heard anything either way which I hope is a good thing!

Shaves Wet

It would seem that interviews, or at least the first batch of interviews, are taking place this week. Good Luck everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.