• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Guard Northern Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kdhurst380

I applied for Sheffield depot recently, they're on a big recruitment drive. I passed the assessment day and am now just waiting on medical & start date.

Things are moving very quickly and it doesn't look like people are just going to be put in a talent pool. The interview itself digs into your customer service experience and work experience, if you have plenty of this then you'll be fine, just be ready and be prepared to go into the archive of your working life and pick out your best examples. Aside from this, standard interview questions are involved, if your motives for applying fit then you'll have no problem answering these.

Good luck to anyone applying, the impression I got of the company on the assessment day made me want the job more, the managers and interviewers were great and very personable and gave it a real family feel. Just be prepared!

kelv

I have an assessment day in May, Northern told me that they are going to be recruiting a LOT in the near future.

Termak

Congradulations @kdhurst380, I have applied and hopefully all goes well. Passed first bus driver interview before, that was before I joined TFL after passing for CSA, so with a bit of luck, I might get through.

Nick82

I'm awaiting an update from Northern regarding my application. I hear there are additional assessments now since the new franchise. Has anyone any info on the maths, English and personality tests. Cheers

kdhurst380

When did you apply Nick82 and where did you hear this? I applied back in March and had my interview five days into the new franchise, they said that the current recruitment process has only been in place for a very short while. If you get as far as the assessment day and interview and meet the standard, the next stage is medical and start date. They used to do all the testing in person but its now all done online. At least this is what we were told on the day!

The online tests are verbal reasoning and a numeracy test, and a personality questionnaire. They give you the chance to take some mock assessments first to practice, make sure you do this so you get an idea of the format of the assessments, you can't really practice for the personality one, just fill it out as honestly as possible.

Last edited:

kelv

I'm awaiting an update from Northern regarding my application. I hear there are additional assessments now since the new franchise. Has anyone any info on the maths, English and personality tests. Cheers

same 2 SHL tests as before & a Saville test that builds a profile of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.