• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver advert for Arriva Rail London now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musti

The rosters I have are for Willesden, Watford and Euston depots only. New cross gate are a separate entity so don’t have their roster(s)
I would very much appreciate if you could give us an idea on Willesden depot. Things like rosters, typical diagrams, routes signed etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpamHammer

Is anyone who is already at New Cross able to say if nights are part of the 'standard' rosters?

Are nights on a separate roster? Or is it paid as overtime?

Is anyone who is already at New Cross able to say if nights are part of the 'standard' rosters?

Are nights on a separate roster? Or is it paid as overtime?

I start my training next month and will be based a NXG. During my DMI i was told that night shifts were part of the 8 week roster.
As of yet i dont know what that roster will look like, so not sure how many night shifts ill have to work per week etc

SpamHammer

I start my training next month and will be based a NXG. During my DMI i was told that night shifts were part of the 8 week roster.
As of yet i dont know what that roster will look like, so not sure how many night shifts ill have to work per week etc

That's very useful to know, thank you. It makes the salary considerably less attractive that nights are inside the roster.

Nowhere on the job advert does it state that nights are included. I think this is a bit underhanded. How many people will make it as far as DMI before finding this out and just go along with it anyway as it's so close to nailing the job?

baz962

Established Member
Now I don't know what to believe, lol!

Im a driver for London Overground. This question was asked before and although im a Willesden driver I asked my colleagues at nxg, that I trained with and they don't do nights, unless its changed. I will check tomorrow and post again.

SpamHammer

Im a driver for London Overground. This question was asked before and although im a Willesden driver I asked my colleagues at nxg, that I trained with and they don't do nights, unless its changed. I will check tomorrow and post again.

Maybe it's something for new starters? Either way, I'd very much appreciate you finding out as I'd probably withdraw my application if nights are compulsory. No point wasting my time and theirs.

That's very useful to know, thank you. It makes the salary considerably less attractive that nights are inside the roster.

Nowhere on the job advert does it state that nights are included. I think this is a bit underhanded. How many people will make it as far as DMI before finding this out and just go along with it anyway as it's so close to nailing the job?

That being said, there is no mention of nights in my contract at present ‍

SpamHammer

That being said, there is no mention of nights in my contract at present ‍

From a personal point of view, I would absolutely want to know before I signed a contract and handed in notice to my existing job. I currently work elsewhere on the railway in a role I'm happy with and is well paid (albeit not as well paid as ARL).

Nights are very taxing mentally and the last thing I'd want is the additional fatigue they cause, particularly when getting to grips with a job which is tiring anyway.

From a personal point of view, I would absolutely want to know before I signed a contract and handed in notice to my existing job. I currently work elsewhere on the railway in a role I'm happy with and is well paid (albeit not as well paid as ARL).

Nights are very taxing mentally and the last thing I'd want is the additional fatigue they cause, particularly when getting to grips with a job which is tiring anyway.

Night shifts take some getting used to. Personally i prefer them, ive worked night shifts for 15 years in my current job, so was more than happy to sign.
Hopefully you get some clarity to your query by tommorow.

SpamHammer

Night shifts take some getting used to. Personally i prefer them, ive worked night shifts for 15 years in my current job, so was more than happy to sign.
Hopefully you get some clarity to your query by tommorow.

That's fair enough, everyone has different lifestyles and experiences.

Funnily enough, I'd probably be ok if it was permanent nights. I have worked permanent nights in the distant past and got on ok with it, not keen on working a range of earlies/lates AND nights though.

Nevergiveup

Thank you for posting the link to this vacancy! I’ve applied now fingers crossed! The only thing worrying me is the question about laser eye treatment.. I did have laser eye treatment over 10 years ago! Do ARL allow laser eye treatments?

baz962

Established Member
Just had reply from a nxg colleague and he said its a separate night link still.

Tan

Hi,
I applied last year & made it to my 2nd assessment but my mum was rushed into hospital the night before. Do you think it will mess up my chance of applying again as I couldn’t attend last time.

TTDARL

Sometimes it’s better the devil you know. Be sure to research properly the east London line though... try and speak to current ELL drivers...a lot of drivers leaving there mainly due to the constant defensive driving (driving on yellows and reds) and high intensity DOO & stop start stop start on the same route all day and every day. Money is good but there’s a reason for that!

SpamHammer

Sometimes it’s better the devil you know. Be sure to research properly the east London line though... try and speak to current ELL drivers...a lot of drivers leaving there mainly due to the constant defensive driving (driving on yellows and reds) and high intensity DOO & stop start stop start on the same route all day and every day. Money is good but there’s a reason for that!

Having had previous experience as a bus driver.... Lot of stop/start on same route everyday, lots of defensive driving. I do appreciate driving a bus is *very* different to train driving though some skills and the kinds of things experienced are transferable.

In my current role on the railway, I might make 200+ stops over an 8hr spread though reds/yellows are not so much of an issue. Makes me feel I could handle it. If I'm going to work that hard, may as well get paid for it!

I certainly will take what you say on board and try to catch a word with a current ELL driver or two though.

TTDARL

Having had previous experience as a bus driver.... Lot of stop/start on same route everyday, lots of defensive driving. I do appreciate driving a bus is *very* different to train driving though some skills and the kinds of things experienced are transferable.

In my current role on the railway, I might make 200+ stops over an 8hr spread though reds/yellows are not so much of an issue. Makes me feel I could handle it. If I'm going to work that hard, may as well get paid for it!

I certainly will take what you say on board and try to catch a word with a current ELL driver or two though.

I think it’s human nature to not be content and moan. I’m sure ‘Virgin’ and ‘Eurostar’ drivers moan and are not quite content. I often take a look at the ‘real world’ and we are very well looked after in terms of pay and conditions in comparison.....

Oggs

The only thing worrying me is the question about laser eye treatment.. I did have laser eye treatment over 10 years ago! Do ARL allow laser eye treatments?

Yes, they didn't reject me and I've had it done.
I failed at the DMI with ARL last year and applied to a different TOC and now work there.

Nevergiveup

I’m currently a bus driver and I think train driving can’t be any worse, if anything it might Ben better than driving buses in London as wont have to deal with dangerous road users!

Driver73

Don't be put off. By all means do your research but in my opinion if you know no different it should

If your not a train driver get in where you can. Keep your licence clean and move if the work is to much. Three main thing is getting in and getting through the course.

Oggs

I’m currently a bus driver and I think train driving can’t be any worse, if anything it might Ben better than driving buses in London as wont have to deal with dangerous road users!
Thanks.
I was a lorry driver so I know all about traffic, and best move I ever did.

Jellytots898

Hi can I ask what the assessment are for this role? What is the dmi etc? I'm with another toc but didn't have to do a dmi etc

DA1

All applied. Currently a shunter driver at another nearby TOC and have previously applied for ARL a while back, let’s see if I get anywhere this time round.

Class2ldn

Maybe it's something for new starters? Either way, I'd very much appreciate you finding out as I'd probably withdraw my application if nights are compulsory. No point wasting my time and theirs.

Is this for real? Nights are just part of the job and if you want to base starting a job on whether you might or not do them then you're looking at the wrong job in my opinion.
Not many people like nights but it's part and parcel of the railway and you just get on with it.
Them not putting it in the advert isnt underhanded at all. The railway runs 24 hours a day in different aspects so I think your approach is totally wrong

ComUtoR

Established Member
Nights are the easy part. Starting at 0330 or finishing at 0200 is bloody hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.