• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver - Liverpool and Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCC106

Established Member
I’d email HR as I doubt anyone on here will know how they work. Better to forewarn them than have them see an application that they think someone just hasn’t filled in correctly and reject it out of hand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TreacleMiller

It depends where you look, mine appears blank on summary but then when I look at the application itself the text is present.

The two assessments were not too bad. 20 situational questions, some with very evidently wrong answers which basically meant peer pressure and failure to adhere to regulations etc. Some answers had options than all seemed right so I went with whatever sounded the safest or most customer oriented answer.

Does anyone know how long TPEs recruitment process takes?

I've seen some people start within 5 months and others after 11 months finally get an interview....

8J

It depends where you look, mine appears blank on summary but then when I look at the application itself the text is present.

The two assessments were not too bad. 20 situational questions, some with very evidently wrong answers which basically meant peer pressure and failure to adhere to regulations etc. Some answers had options than all seemed right so I went with whatever sounded the safest or most customer oriented answer.

I've seen some people start within 5 months and others after 11 months finally get an interview....

You've sort of answered your own question there. People's experience with recruitment at all TOCs varies. I imagine a few weeks down the line you'll receive an email saying whether you've passed the sift and made the cut with your online assessment scores.

Then comes the driver psychometric which I believe TPE do in 2 parts on seperate days.

After that, if successful you will be invited to a manager interview

Unfortunately due to the way of the world today, I imagine it will be a fair wait until you are able to sit the psychometrics in a controlled environment.

Manda2194

So basically on my latest job I can see all the text on the second and third it completely blank. Does yours look anything like that? it's really strange. I am certain it was filled in.

Cassy j

You've sort of answered your own question there. People's experience with recruitment at all TOCs varies. I imagine a few weeks down the line you'll receive an email saying whether you've passed the sift and made the cut with your online assessment scores.

Then comes the driver psychometric which I believe TPE do in 2 parts on seperate days.

After that, if successful you will be invited to a manager interview

Unfortunately due to the way of the world today, I imagine it will be a fair wait until you are able to sit the psychometrics in a controlled environment.

Do TPE do MMI or DMI first?

8J

The MMI is during part 2 of the driver psychometrics. This is before the manager interview in normal circumstances.

So basically on my latest job I can see all the text on the second and third it completely blank. Does yours look anything like that? it's really strange. I am certain it was filled in.

Mine is showing exactly the same. We will have definitely written in that box as you could not submit the job without having wrote something for the experiences. Probably just how it’s presented on the site maybe.

L401CJF

Established Member
Anybody know what routes and diversions Liverpool based drivers sign? I'm sure it'll be on this forum somewhere but can't find anything! If not, definitely a good question for an interview!

8J

Anybody know what routes and diversions Liverpool based drivers sign? I'm sure it'll be on this forum somewhere but can't find anything! If not, definitely a good question for an interview!

Liverpool drivers currently sign:

Liverpool - York via Manchester Victoria, Huddersfield and Leeds

Manchester Victoria - Manchester Airport via the Orsdall Chord

Manchester Piccadilly - Stalybridge via Guide Bridge

Edge Hill - Castlefield Junction via Warrington Central

Traction is Class 185 and Class 802

There are currently rather strong rumours that TPE are to take over the running of the Liverpool - Nottingham service from East Midlands Railway in the next couple of years.

I have no idea what traction would operate this service. It is all just speculation at present. There has been speculation on other threads about this.

8J

Scarborough - Manchester Victoria is as far as Scarborough drivers go west.

Manda2194

Mine is showing exactly the same. We will have definitely written in that box as you could not submit the job without having wrote something for the experiences. Probably just how it’s presented on the site maybe.

Thats a relief. So you guys can see your most recent jobs but not the ones after? You must be right and that shows it is presented on the site. If it didn't show all of them I would understand but strange it just shows the most recent.

Killingworth

Established Member
Would I be right in saying that Sheffield is one of the smaller TPE depots. The impression I get is Liverpool, Manchester and York are the biggest.

Bear in mind that East Midands' current Liverpool-Norwich route is due to be split, Liverpool-Nottingham and Nottingham-Norwich, from December 2021. According to EMR's franchise agreement and all earlier information Liverpool-Norwich was to go to TPE or Northern. Northern have enough on their plate without that, so it seems that unless EMR put in a very strong effort to keep it TPE will require crews to run it from December 2021.

Which may fit quite neatly with the training time needed for these applications and more work at Sheffield?

Flow1

Bear in mind that East Midands' current Liverpool-Norwich route is due to be split, Liverpool-Nottingham and Nottingham-Norwich, from December 2021. According to EMR's franchise agreement and all earlier information Liverpool-Norwich was to go to TPE or Northern. Northern have enough on their plate without that, so it seems that unless EMR put in a very strong effort to keep it TPE will require crews to run it from December 2021.

Which may fit quite neatly with the training time needed for these applications and more work at Sheffield?
Hello, so will TPE be running both? Liverpool - Nottingham & Nottingham - Norwich? Sorry if you've made that obvious I'm new to this!

TreacleMiller

Spoke with a friend at TPE today regarding Liverpool, no news at all internally as he works at the depot and has raised it via internal HR.

I applied for Sheffield, nothing yet all round.

8J

Given the current situation, I'd expect to be waiting a while yet before receiving any news or invites to assessments.

Orange08

I don’t quite get why you would ask someone to ‘raise it internally’

by all accounts railway recruitment is notoriously slow never mind in the middle of a global pandemic. Relax man. If it’s meant to happen it will happen

TreacleMiller

I did not ask anyone to raise anything.

A friend who lives over the wrong side of the hills applied for Liverpool. Had nothing to do with my application and it came up in conversation. He followed it up internally as he is a TPE employee and applied using an internal system.

That's also exactly what is written.

Orange08

Anyone seen the comms by first rail over last couple of days....wonder if it will have any impact on this recruitment drive

Supertrains19

I tend to think it may delay but will not stop, FG have said they have 12 months Running capabilities with the finance already secured over 300 million from Goverment but they lost 300 million and are really banking in selling their Greyhound business in the US, I think it will depend on what Goverment scheme replaces EMA and what extent the management fee will cover as very little margin to be made and the risk as revenue increases will firmly be back at FG door, either way they will still need drivers. Train crew etc but depending again on the extent of cost cutting these agreements will lay out, think TFL and the onus on what they have been required to enact due to the funding, it’s going to be interesting times.

TeaTrain

To answer some questions asked here about the tests. (Recently been through it all and am now a standby trainee train driver for TPE.

The highest scoring people of the two online tests get through first. Normally it seems to be within 3 minutes with mostly perfect scoring. At least that's what it was in my one with the level of competition.

TPE actually are quite swift in their recruitment process. It took 7 months from start to finish. I have applied for ATW, Virgin when it was that, Northern, X country and now TPE. All were slower than TPE but it could just of been luck.

If you get through I would advise picking the earliest dates available. They take each batch from the earliest time and progress then first. If I had not picked the right dates I would still be in limbo like many others still waiting for results. It's not quite first come First serve as obviously they pick the best people at each stage to progress.

If you get to the assessments there will be two days worth then driver interview. Very nice people and a pleasure to talk with them. If you are successful you normally hear the next day.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Guys, I’ve just had an email through inviting me to the OPC for assessments. I’ve already completed these to enhanced standard in January. Could they have made a mistake or will I need to resist all the tests again? Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.