Trainee Train Driver - London Midland

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by martin2345uk, 19 Aug 2015.

1. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. nick40uk

nick40uk Member

Is that 25 mile radius strictly enforced or is there any wiggle room? I'm looking at about 30 miles.

4. Des587

Des587 Member

Hi, I applied for the Bletchley job a couple of weeks back and in the application it asks if you live within or are willing to relocate, so there may be a bit of wriggle. Good luck if you go ahead and apply.

5. Ihopeipass

Ihopeipass Member

Got my applications in, lucky I live within 25 mile of a couple of depots.

6. steviebuk

steviebuk Member

Hi I have also applied for Bletchley a few week ago still waiting to hear back..

Last edited: 19 Aug 2015
  7. woblynne

woblynne Member

I've applied for the Birmingham role so fingers crossed!!

8. Des587

Des587 Member

Hate playing the waiting game, good luck with the application, I wonder how many places they are looking to fill.

9. YoungBuck

YoungBuck Member

I've also applied for the Bletchley job but haven't heard anything.
    From a little research the last time they advertised as soon as you posted an application you had an almost automatic response of either pass or fail (due to word count/key words used) but since this hasn't happened this time I don't know what to expect.

10. scouseyb123

scouseyb123 Member

I've applied for the Leamington Spa one!! :)

11. d_kingscott

d_kingscott Member

Finally recruiting for Birmingham. Good luck to everyone! I have already passed all of my assessments with another TOC, how about everyone else? This will be the most read thread for the next few weeks!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

12. Economist

Economist Member

Is anyone who has applied for Bletchley also looking to go for this?

13. YoungBuck

YoungBuck Member

It does say at the top of the advert only apply for 1 driver position.. am I right in saying if you've applied for the Bletchley position they don't want you applying for the Birmingham postion?

14. Davside84

Davside84 Member

Applied, thanks a lot.

I also applied for the Bletchley role which was advertised separately earlier in the month. I haven't heard anything back yet either! I get the impression the process can take some time, so be patient and good luck to everyone.

15. cobbler

cobbler Member

good luck everyone , just dont hold your breath :)

16. jimbobsimmonds

jimbobsimmonds Member

Also recently applied for the Bletchley position. But Coventry, Leamington or Brum would be closer.

Moved recently from Kent so relocating doesn't bother me all that much tbh.

Reckon it is worth contact LM to see whether they just put all the applications into a big pool then worry about location after? You would imagine this would be the case if they mention not applying for multiple positions.

17. 455driver

455driver On Moderation

In that case if you apply for more than one position you will instantly get 'filed' in the WPB!

18. PotentialTrain

PotentialTrain Member

455driver, sorry for my ignorance, I am new to TOC abbreviations.
    What would the WPB stand for?
    I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage by not applying for more than one depot? I am a strong believer in not following application descriptions (Only apply for one depot as an example), could have a negative effect on my application.

Regards

19. 455driver

455driver On Moderation

WPB= Waste Paper Basket! ;)

If it says on the application form to only apply for one depot then that is exactly what they want, apply for two or more and you have failed to follow the instructions so you are not the type of person they are looking for.

I have known somebody fail the drivers assessments because he wrote one more word after being told pens down, there is no room for error!

If you are one who regularly doesn't follow instructions then maybe the railway isn't for you!

20. YoungBuck

YoungBuck Member

I thought as much.. problem is there's so much myth and legend about becoming a train driver I end up double guessing myself.

21. WCMLaddict

WCMLaddict Member

Read the whole sentence not just the bit you bolded. ;)

22. Dave1987

Dave1987 Established Member

As 455driver says if you are someone who doesn't like following instructions train driving is definitely not the career for you.

23. PotentialTrain

PotentialTrain Member

I think you may have misunderstood me, it was late when I wrote that reply. What I was trying to say is I believe that not following instructions could have a negative effect on an application, not that I don't follow instructions.

In fact I take the time to read very carefully to ensure I am following them down to a T!

24. jimbobsimmonds

jimbobsimmonds Member

So I e-mailed LM recruitment today.

They suggested I apply to my nearest depot (Coventry). When I specifically asked whether I should delete my Bletchley application I was told "don't worry about withdrawing".

As always, when told by a lovely lady not to withdraw, I don't ask the question twice... ;) Not saying this is a cue to apply for all of the positions but I would hope that coming from the horses mouth would alleviate some fears. Now the waiting game...

Last edited: 22 Aug 2015
  25. 12guard4

12guard4 Member

Rumour I have heard is that it will be 9 places with a December start at new street, like I say only a rumour though

26. Darren1980

Darren1980 Member

I've put in for Birmingham. It's a relocate but I have no ties anywhere so it would be easy for me in that sense, I also have all my OPC passes from the GTR round, so all it would take it is a DMI pass this time!

27. Cotty30

Cotty30 Member

Darren sent you a pm

28. PotentialTrain

PotentialTrain Member

29. JohnFM

JohnFM Member

Dude, you really need to get it done ASAP. They take can take them down well before the closing time if they feel they have enough applicants. An example was the job for Bletchley; it was taken down four days before it was due!

The London Midland adverts clearly state "To avoid disappointment please do not delay submitting your application as the advert may close sooner due to high number of applications."

You have enough internet access to post on this forum, telling us that you're doing it, but not enough for the job advert?

If that were me the application for the job would be much, much, more important than telling everyone on a forum that I was applying, wasting valuable time.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2015
  30. Des587

Des587 Member

Is that the number for all depots or just New Street?

31. PotentialTrain

PotentialTrain Member

I replied on my phone John. It would be a great disadvantage to fill out such an important application on a mobile device.
    Thankfully it's all competed and sent it now though.