• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - London Midland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJUK15

Plastictaffy did you not have any kind of response for a whole year then and they randomly messaged you recently for an interview? :/. It's been 3 weeks now since I applied and the advertisement ended so I have just decided to send a follow-up email. I've never had to wait this length of time before to await a decision. It is understandable that hundreds would have applied for this 1 position though and many applications overlooked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SJN

Where it says Coventry/leamington depot does that mean you are based at 2 depots instead of just 1? Or Would you get to choose which one you wanted?

You would only be based at one of them. It would depend on vacancies available at the time. You wouldn't necessarily get to choose which one you wanted.

DJUK15

I've just recieved a reply from my follow-up email for Bletchley.

"Thank you for your email, we are still undergoing the sifting process which will take approx. another 3 weeks.

We will notify all applicants by email in due course.

Many thanks"

plastictaffy

Plastictaffy did you not have any kind of response for a whole year then and they randomly messaged you recently for an interview? :/. It's been 3 weeks now since I applied and the advertisement ended so I have just decided to send a follow-up email. I've never had to wait this length of time before to await a decision. It is understandable that hundreds would have applied for this 1 position though and many applications overlooked.

I heard nothing from applying up until January, when I had a letter from HR apologising for the lack of movement since we'd applied. Then nothing until last week.

The e-mail would have been pretty out of the blue, but one or two of my colleagues had had an e-mail, that gave me a heads-up.

DJUK15 - don't expect anything to move quickly with regard to jobs working on the railway. Every man and his dog wants to work on the railways!! They have a lot of applicants to go through for the job, and it will take a long time. Patience!! :lol:

Last edited:

YoungBuck

Good luck to all those who got their interviews next week!

I don't know whether I made the right decision choosen one of the last slots, just want to get it over and done with now haha

YoungBuck

Youngbuck - same as me. Couldn't fit one in earlier, as I'm currently in the middle of 7 straight shifts - thursday was the earliest I could manage!!

7 day shifts.. I was lucky enough to give those up about 2 years ago but the thought of it still makes me shiver!

Boxing123

Hi

I have my interview coming up at Bletchley station shortly. Can anyone advise me whereabouts the interview takes place? I had a loom yesterday around the station but can't seem to find any offices etc. should I just ask at the ticket office?

plastictaffy

7 day shifts.. I was lucky enough to give those up about 2 years ago but the thought of it still makes me shiver!

Got a couple of points in the roster where it happens, sadly. Half of it was earlies, and I flipped over to lates on the Sunday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi

I have my interview coming up at Bletchley station shortly. Can anyone advise me whereabouts the interview takes place? I had a loom yesterday around the station but can't seem to find any offices etc. should I just ask at the ticket office?
??????

There's a reception for the BOP on platform 1. If you come out of the booking office and turn right on the platform and follow the building round, you 'll come to a door with an intercom mounted on the side of it.

Last edited:

YoungBuck

Its been a little quiet on here recently..

How are people feeling about their interviews?

Was anybody told about start dates etc? As me and another member of this forum were told two different things

I am still waiting to hear the outcome of my application for snow hill. I have had my auto email regarding my application but not heard anything since. 1 month and still waiting!

CoffeeBoy

I am still waiting to hear the outcome of my application for snow hill. I have had my auto email regarding my application but not heard anything since. 1 month and still waiting!

Recruitment in the rail industry is notoriously slow and for good reason as they want to find the best candidates to put through the selection process for the roles. A lot of people need to relax a bit, its just a job.

plastictaffy

Its been a little quiet on here recently..

How are people feeling about their interviews?

Was anybody told about start dates etc? As me and another member of this forum were told two different things

My interview was terrible. Had I been an external, I might not have bothered, I really wasn't feeling it. I was told that we'd hear by mid to late next week, apparently there are assessment dates booked and HR are keen to keep them.

TheRailwayWay

Recruitment in the rail industry is notoriously slow and for good reason as they want to find the best candidates to put through the selection process for the roles. A lot of people need to relax a bit, its just a job.

Does this mean they're extensively sifting the next stage? As in, they'll only be a handful of people having interviews? Or a very small percentage of the applicants?

YoungBuck

My interview was terrible. Had I been an external, I might not have bothered, I really wasn't feeling it. I was told that we'd hear by mid to late next week, apparently there are assessment dates booked and HR are keen to keep them.

Ive seen you post on another forum you seem to know alot about the role.. I thought as an internal you'd be clued up?

They told another applicant they would get back in 4 weeks time but they also told us two different start dates.

With all this coded information im not sure if Im applying for a job in bletchley park instead of bletchley station!

cobbler

i,ll give my opinion for anyone who cares , ive been interviewed and i am an internal applicant , some of us rightly so will be wary of saying to much on an open forum ,
but what i feel i can say is ive heard there is a course in november and one in may , im also aware they want to expedite this process and get people on in November

anyone who has got this far has done very well , when they open a vacancy such as trainee driver they have in excess of 15,000 applications , huge numbers are then shifted out for the simple things and so on and so forth

the final batch was approx 500 then down to 40

ive heard we will find out shortly

good luck all who have got this far

CoffeeBoy

Does this mean they're extensively sifting the next stage? As in, they'll only be a handful of people having interviews? Or a very small percentage of the applicants?

I don't know about London Midland but my friend works in HR for East Mids and they get a horrendous amount of applications for any Trainee Driver job, be it depot or mainline. You couldn't even put 5% through for interview because the number of applicants is so high.

387star

On Moderation
I don't know about London Midland but my friend works in HR for East Mids and they get a horrendous amount of applications for any Trainee Driver job, be it depot or mainline. You couldn't even put 5% through for interview because the number of applicants is so high.

An interesting way to do it

But they must still need to put enough through to interview to account for those failing interview or passing and then failing assessments

I must have been very lucky as I have only ever twice failed to pass the initial sifting stage of a trainee depot or mainline application

CoffeeBoy

An interesting way to do it

But they must still need to put enough through to interview to account for those failing interview or passing and then failing assessments

I must have been very lucky as I have only ever twice failed to pass the initial sifting stage of a trainee depot or mainline application

i know it doesn't sound a lot but when you account for the shear volume of initial applications, it doesn't even bear thinking about.

plastictaffy

Ive seen you post on another forum you seem to know alot about the role.. I thought as an internal you'd be clued up?

They told another applicant they would get back in 4 weeks time but they also told us two different start dates.

With all this coded information im not sure if Im applying for a job in bletchley park instead of bletchley station!

Clued up I may well be. That doesn't neccessarily mean that I will do better or worse than any other people in the interview. As I said in an earlier post, I really wasn't feeling it on the day. I was told at the end of the interview that we will hear either way in this coming week - however at least one other internal (not on here) was told it would be a few weeks before he heard. It's worth remembering that we were all interviewed by different people as well - I know that me, Cobbler, and the other internal I know of were interviewed by different people - perhaps they were aware of different timescales.

Last edited:

Boxing123

Hi,

Delighted to say I'm through to the driver assessment stage 1day. Unfortunately it's 21st Sept. I have no info on what tests it will be. Can anybody help me and shed some light on what will be required?

Thanks

YoungBuck

Hi,

Delighted to say I'm through to the driver assessment stage 1day. Unfortunately it's 21st Sept. I have no info on what tests it will be. Can anybody help me and shed some light on what will be required?

Thanks

Did you book the 9am or 1pm slot?

In the email it gives you a list of all the exams you'll be taking, type those into Google/YouTube and you'll get plenty of info

plastictaffy

Hi,

Thanks

You should have been sent some information on the tests that will be required of you. It's important that you do the practice material, it is all very relevant to the actual tests you will do.

Having phoned HR this afternoon, I too have been successful at interview (christ knows how, I thought it was a shocker) but I will be invited straight to the second lot of assessments, as I have already passed stage one.

387star

On Moderation
You should have been sent some information on the tests that will be required of you. It's important that you do the practice material, it is all very relevant to the actual tests you will do.

Having phoned HR this afternoon, I too have been successful at interview (christ knows how, I thought it was a shocker) but I will be invited straight to the second lot of assessments, as I have already passed stage one.

Well done!

YoungBuck

Apologies if this has already been asked on here..

Anybody who knows a bit of info about the MMI.. Is it similar to the driver manager interview as in experience based question and giving examples or is it more technical based?

Liddybird

The MMI interview is based on 5/6 scenarios you have to write down prior to the interview. You will be asked to give examples of situations you have been in and how you acted in those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.