• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - London Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Training schools are at Reading, Bristol and Newton Abbot. 95% chance that Pad drivers will train at Reading, but not always.

Can't remember the full card, but I believe it's something like
Pad-Reading, Oxford, Bedwyn, Greenford, Windsor, Newbury, Bristol, Worcester via North Costwolds
Traction 800, 387 and 165/6

Bucephalus

(This means able to travel to work within 60 minutes for both your own travel and using public transport, which is not negotiable)

Does anybody live within 60 minutes' drive of Paddington?

tlionhart

(This means able to travel to work within 60 minutes for both your own travel and using public transport, which is not negotiable)

Does anybody live within 60 minutes' drive of Paddington?

yes.

Also to answer routes signed, tiptoff is right. Just to add. Bristol is a list of a handful of drivers and you’re unlikely to sign Wor. (Only link 1)
Also most work is 800 being their core traction. You also sign the North Pole depot.

387star

On Moderation
GWR have a fantastic spread of depots

No wonder they are popular with Qualifieds

Their pay is competitive too

If I was in London this is the best option for a trainee

tiptoptaff

Established Member
yes.

Also to answer routes signed, tiptoff is right. Just to add. Bristol is a list of a handful of drivers and you’re unlikely to sign Wor. (Only link 1)
Also most work is 800 being their core traction. You also sign the North Pole depot.
Depends on the side, the ex-LTV GWR drivers' core traction is 387

tlionhart

Depends on the side, the ex-LTV GWR drivers' core traction is 387

This actually changed. (Not referring to HSS)
Both Oxford and Pad mostly drive 800.
Padd work content is Oxfords and NBY/Bedwyn. Oh and a plethora of trips to North Pole.
Most the 387 Didcot stoppers and Newbury are Readings. As is the TCD work content. Which became Reading’s core traction.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
This actually changed. (Not referring to HSS)
Both Oxford and Pad mostly drive 800.
Padd work content is Oxfords and NBY/Bedwyn. Oh and a plethora of trips to North Pole.
Most the 387 Didcot stoppers and Newbury are Readings. As is the TCD work content. Which became Reading’s core traction.
Thanks for the information! Been out of the resources loop far too long and LTV was never my patch!

Alex_09

I just done the application and done the 2 online test and got this email back..

Attachments

• 112580D7-E073-4AB6-AB31-D0499B31EBA2.jpeg
    112580D7-E073-4AB6-AB31-D0499B31EBA2.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 220

Northernboy

I’ve just realised this is for 2021/22 or possibly later.
Less excited now although still worth putting in for I suppose...

DwayneB8z

I’ve just realised this is for 2021/22 or possibly later.
Less excited now although still worth putting in for I suppose...
For me it’s ideal, as I work at the airport, but for some that is a long wait! But if you get it well Worth it!

Lbamgbose

did anyone do both assessments and not get any response yet?
when i applied for waterloo i got that response after the first assessment and didn't get an invite to the 2nd assessment or any assessment days so im confused as to how i did this time round

Bobby4126

I have done both tests, then received the generic email - We're pleased to let you know that you have successfully passed your recent online assessment(s).

Whilst we endeavour to progress everyone who passes their online assessment to the next stage of the process, this is not always possible when we are dealing with high volumes of applications. On occasions like this and in the interests of fairness, we will only be able to progress those that fall within the top scoring bracket...

So now, we wait...

DA1

Yes, similar to SWR. All the initial applications and online tests are done through the First Group Recruitment website but then it’s down to the individual TOCs HR to do the rest.

Stigy

Established Member
Anybody know the training rate for GWR now?
£28.5k give or take (I believe there’s a pay award pending though). That’s for the duration of training until passout, but it’s reasonable. After passout it’s 80% of the full salary for the first year, 90% year two and finally 100% after three years.

SlimJim1694

After passout it’s 80% of the full salary for the first year, 90% year two and finally 100% after three years.

Great idea, pay the newbies less so they work more rest days to make the money up at the point in their careers where they are statistically more likely to have incidents.

Stigy

Established Member
Great idea, pay the newbies less so they work more rest days to make the money up at the point in their careers where they are statistically more likely to have incidents.
It may not be the case forever, depends what agreements are made going forward. However, even 80% of the salary come May will be around £50k so it’s hardly a pittance.

theking

Pretty much all the trainees are not paid full time driver money in their previous jobs, becoming a train driver is a pay rise so what exactly are they making up.

People are not leaving 60/70k jobs to be train drivers.

If they smash out the rest days and have incidents they only have themselves to blame.

SlimJim1694

It may not be the case forever, depends what agreements are made going forward. However, even 80% of the salary come May will be around £50k so it’s hardly a pittance.

80% is not a pittance but why should they be paid less than colleagues doing exactly the same job? It happens on my TOC too and it's a disgrace the union ever agreed it.

Pretty much all the trainees are not paid full time driver money in their previous jobs, becoming a train driver is a pay rise so what exactly are they making up.

People are not leaving 60/70k jobs to be train drivers.

If they smash out the rest days and have incidents they only have themselves to blame.

In many cases people do take a pay cut to be on the training wage so by the time they pass out they are often desperate for cash and see their shiny new key as a means of milking the cow. If the company pays them less when they first pass out then of course they will need to work more rest days to make the money up and pay off debts accrued while training etc. I've lost count of the number of new drivers I've seen think they were jack the lad working ten on the bounce and promptly f***ing up. I agree that they only have themselves to blame, but at the same time I think if they were paid the same as their colleagues from the off then they would be less inclined to do it. Rather than docking their wages, surely it would be more sensible (from a safety perspective) to put a 12 month rest day ban on newbies but pay them the full rate from the day they pass out.

Railroader22

Got the email this morning saying I’ve passed both online assessments, only top scorers go through etc. I guess Assessment centre is next? Would they be the mechanical comprehension, fault finding, scatt tests etc?

Class2ldn

Even qualified drivers are on a reduced wage at gwr for the first year if they go there.
It's wrong.

D5581

Got the email this morning saying I’ve passed both online assessments, only top scorers go through etc. I guess Assessment centre is next? Would they be the mechanical comprehension, fault finding, scatt tests etc?

It will be Psychometric tests next

Status
Not open for further replies.