• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-P-1990

Hi all,

I've recently applied for a position with ATW for a trainee driver position out of my local depot. The applications are being shortlisted at the moment, so fingers crossed I hear back.

Out of interest, does anyone know when the medical is carried out, and what parameters define a pass/fail?

The thing I'm mostly concerned about is if I were offered the position and handed my notice in to my current employer, then failed the medical due to an unknown reason, I'd be out of work with a mortgage/bills/woman/dogs to provide for!

Many thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave999

You will have the medical before an offer, don't quit your job until you pass.

Good luck

D-P-1990

Amazing, thanks very much Dave. It had me panicking is all. Next hurdle - hoping I make the cut for an interview. The rest will follow! :)

Dave999

Also lots of info on here regarding each stage of the process including the medical so make sure you do lots of studying. :)

D-P-1990

This place is a goldmine for information! The only thing that may go against me is I have to wear extremely weak strength glasses for night time driving, they barely register a difference to my eyesight though so hopefully it'll not be a problem

Dave999

You are allowed to wear glasses as long as it's brings you up to 20:20 vision, there is a standard you have to be without glasses but it's very low. I've got my medical soon and I wear glasses so have looked into it quite a bit.

Memetim

This place is a goldmine for information! The only thing that may go against me is I have to wear extremely weak strength glasses for night time driving, they barely register a difference to my eyesight though so hopefully it'll not be a problem
I have glasses for the same reason and it wasn't a problem for me. Just make sure to take them to the medical with you, they will test you with and without glasses and just put a note on your paperwork about the glasses requirement.

ComUtoR

Established Member
there is a standard you have to be without glasses but it's very low.

On my last medical the Doc showed me the line in which you have to pass. I was shocked. Its certainly low :)

D-P-1990

On my last medical the Doc showed me the line in which you have to pass. I was shocked. Its certainly low :)

This fills me with more confidence, thanks very much.
Now I've just got to worry about being **** at anything else!

Themob

Once you've passed all assessments, you will be offered a conditional offer of employment., subject to medical, references, crb check etc.

This offer is normally made approximately two months before your start date, with the medical and checks conducted in that first month, leaving you a month to work your notice.

Memetim

That's brilliant, thanks. Who are you driving for mate?

GTR. I got a copy of my medical paperwork on the day and it just stated that I passed both with and without glasses, there was quite a few of us in the same situation. Feel free to pm me if you want more info, I think I was one of the first groups in my TOC to do the new EU medical which has the more stringent eyesight test.

Last edited:

D-P-1990

GTR. I got a copy of my medical paperwork on the day and it just stated that I passed both with and without glasses, there was quite a few of us in the same situation. Feel free to pm me if you want more info, I think I was one of the first groups in my TOC to do the new EU medical which has the more stringent eyesight test.

That'd be fantastic cheers man, I'll see whether an interview materialises as the job status is shortlisting at the moment, then I'll possibly DM you for some info!
Much appreciated.

Kev.

Hi all,

Is it a requirement of the medicals for driver roles to write to your personnel doctor to ask for your medical history records?

I'm asking has I've just been chatting to a friend whom has the same doctor as myself and he stated that our doctor charges individuals for any information such as letters or medical files he sends out to potentional employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.