• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (and now qualified/'part-qualified') - Newcastle - East Coast Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Yep, I can still read despite your assessment of where I am in the industry and this forum is regularly (though not exclusively) frequented by people who have indeed been in the industry for many years and as a result are unionised, tired, bitter and full of resentment at just about everything ever mentioned. I hear it everyday in the industry in real life (yes, I do work in it) as well as read it on here.

Well that’s quite a description, which reads like something written in the Daily Mail. It’s interesting you appear to view “unionised” as a dirty word…

If you hear that every day, all I can say is I’m glad I don’t work where you work! That description doesn’t apply to anybody I work with, including the many of who have joined the railway industry within the last few years, from a variety of different careers. Many of us weren’t “unionised” before, but the benefits of union membership (ASLEF in my case) upon joining the railway were very obvious. Shock horror it’s those same unions you look down on that are responsibility for the decent ts and cs that no doubt attracted you to this industry in the first place.

I’m sure it suits OA employers to demonise unions and TOCs. Perhaps you should ask why they might want to do that, and who will ultimately stand to benefit.

Interestingly I note it wasn’t so long ago you were posting on here yourself expressing concerns and asking about job security at OAA. Now (I can only assume having taken an OAA job) apparently you accuse anyone who dares to sound a note of caution to others of being bitter and negative which speaks volumes.

Advising someone to make their own mind up on whether or not to take a job offer based on a poor/good pension doesn’t require years of experience in anything other than being an adult.

Not just based on the pension (albeit that’s certainly part of it), also based on job security, DOO, and other Ts and Cs. As has been repeatedly pointed out it’s a completely different market for qualified drivers (who have a lot more bargaining power) than for trainees when there are thousands of applicants for every vacancy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

centro-323

Since that's the second time you've mentioned it, I'm just going to remind you that it's DCO, not DOO. There will be other staff on-board!

whoosh

Established Member
Does anyone know what the salary is for a qualified driver at ECTL in comparison to LNER? They say it's "competitive", if this was true the two salaries should be very similar.

Forget LNER, look at Grand Central, Hull Trains, Trans Pennine Express salaries for a ball park I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.