• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (and now qualified/'part-qualified') - Newcastle - East Coast Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

heedfan

Not necessarily for everybody who applied though as some may be internal to the company, or come from another TOC where they were depot drivers for example. They’d still have to start as a trainee. Unless of course you know everybody who has been offered a job, in which case I’ll eat my hat :D

I applied and I'm a depot driver elsewhere. I sign the traction that ECTL are going to use as well but wasn't successful. Just shows how competitive railway recruitment can be! Although I do suspect companies prefer to take trainees who are all at the same learning point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KJ83

Let’s just all keep our heads and take this as it comes.

Speaking with ECTL today it seems the blunder with the medicals couldn’t have been foreseen and they’re doing what they can. What will be will be.

Let’s be glad we got this far and think positive about getting over the remaining hurdles.

Exactly!! and they've been really helpful so far!

DM4

When I got the update regarding the medicals it was mentioned that the start date might be pushed back 1 week so everyone can give 1 months notice

dan4291

I spoke to Sharron last night...Start date of September 7th, conditional offer of employment sent today and potentially taking more on than first thought!!

So if you haven’t had a call yet don’t lose all hope as you might yet get in!!

Sharron sounded done in bless her...She’s doing the best she can to get us all sorted!!

She was still working past 8pm last night!!

Yeah I feel for her at the moment. She's been really good with communication this week though and doing a good job!

Last edited:

DM4

I'm looking forward to reading the contract. Nothing is ever straight forward on the railway, we will get there in the end.

Dobb

I've got the conditional offer but no confirmation of when the medical is - although I do sort of know when it is if its what was discussed.
Do we need to email Sharron the reference details and documents etc does anybody know?

vintagegt

I've got the conditional offer but no confirmation of when the medical is - although I do sort of know when it is if its what was discussed.
Do we need to email Sharron the reference details and documents etc does anybody know?

Last edited:

DM4

I spoke to Sharron today via email and mentioned the medical. The reply I got was ‘you should have received an email from the medical company to log on and book your medical. Please check your spam/junk folder to see if it’s there and let me know if not’.

I checked and l hadn’t received anything. I let Sharron know and she sorted it for me and sent me the documentation through.
If you still haven’t received anything I’d check your spam/junk folders and if you have no joy, you will need to ask the question.

Once you spoke to Sharron did the medical company email you? I still haven't received any contact from them.

dan4291

I've got my conditional offer email and sent through my referee details. I then received a reply with my medical appointment details attached.

Dobb

I've got my conditional offer email and sent through my referee details. I then received a reply with my medical appointment details attached.
Did you send copies of your documents like passport at the same time or was it sufficient when they took photos at the assessment centre?

dan4291

Did you send copies of your documents like passport at the same time or was it sufficient when they took photos at the assessment centre?

I've got to sort that out next week as I didn't do the psychometrics for this job (have done them previously with another TOC).

Dobb

He took them on the Friday group so hopefully that will suffice. I've just sent 2 referees from current company to be safe

TJ123

Those who have started their training how is it going? Has training been affected by the COVID situation, future trainee driver vacancies etc

Anyone know if any qualified drivers have joined up yet? Or will more trainees be recruited?

Congratulations to everyone who was successful! I really do hope that everything works out for you all.

Is there any word regarding operational method of work? Guarded or DOO? I personally expect the latter to come in.

Also, has there been any union recognition within your training program? You wouldn’t drive a car without insurance.

Is a 125mph train, potentially running from London to Edinburgh with just a driver deemed safe??

I really hope that these bases have been covered and not left to chance?

Last edited:

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Congratulations to everyone who was successful! I really do hope that everything works out for you all.

Is there any word regarding operational method of work? Guarded or DOO? I personally expect the latter to come in.

Also, has there been any union recognition within your training program? You wouldn’t drive a car without insurance.

Is a 125mph train, potentially running from London to Edinburgh with just a driver deemed safe??

I really hope that these bases have been covered and not left to chance?

Probably wouldn’t expect anyone to answer that publicly in case of confidentiality clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.