• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (and now qualified/'part-qualified') - Newcastle - East Coast Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestarter

Trainee Train Driver

East Coast Trains Ltd (part of FirstGroup PLC), is a new open-access train operator running train services between London and Edinburgh from late 2021. We will be operating five services per day each way between Edinburgh and London, with stops at Morpeth, Newcastle and Stevenage.

Our commitment is that we will provide great value services, direct to city centres, whilst also building relationships with local communities along the route. Our services will be timed around our passenger's needs, including providing the first early morning intercity arrival into Newcastle and Edinburgh from London. We will operate brand new state-of-the-art trains, with facilities such as free Wi-Fi to ensure passengers can relax or work from the moment they step aboard.

If you thrive on providing the best customer experience, have an enthusiastic and flexible approach to work then we are looking forward to hearing from you.

We are currently looking to recruit various positions including;

Trainee Train Drivers
Qualified Train Drivers
Driver Instructors (whether already qualified or, where suitably experienced as a Train Driver, seeking career progression)
East Coast Trains Ltd welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, disability or gender and is committed to creating a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve.

This could be the start of your journey towards becoming a qualified Train Driver who will be responsible for driving our passengers across our route safely and efficiently. It is a first-class opportunity to an exciting career in the rail industry!

You will be required to undertake a Level 3 Train Driver Apprenticeship, if you do not hold Level 2 English, maths and ICT qualifications you will be given the opportunity to achieve this prior to being awarded your apprenticeship.

The apprenticeship will be between 12 months and 18 months long. The apprenticeship programme will be challenging, stimulating and enjoyable. You will undertake theory-based classroom training for the first part of your programme and then get practical experience of driving trains and working alongside experienced drivers, quickly becoming part of your company's driver team. There will be an element of being away from home whilst you are undergoing training.

Successful applicants will require excellent concentration and communication skills, good attention to detail and the ability to work alone for long periods of time, whilst maintaining focus and awareness. Individuals will also need to be 20 years of age or over

During selection, individuals will undergo a variety of rigorous assessments which must be passed to progress to the next level. If shortlisted you will also need to attend a train driver medical and have a criminal record check, employment reference checks and right to work checks.

https://uk.firstgroupcareers.com/vacancy/trainee-train-driver-012686/12716/description/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TJ123

So recruiting for Newcastle at the moment, I wonder if they will recruit for Edinburgh/London, or if it will just be a Newcastle depot.

Owen2323

It's interesting that some TOC's seem to be going down the route of apprenticeships for trainee drivers now...…………...I also note there is no information on pay for the trainee position. This is no coincidence I'm sure - does anyone know what the pay might be and am I right in assuming that apprenticeships are the latest and cheaper way of training drivers??

heedfan

It's interesting that some TOC's seem to be going down the route of apprenticeships for trainee drivers now...…………...I also note there is no information on pay for the trainee position. This is no coincidence I'm sure - does anyone know what the pay might be and am I right in assuming that apprenticeships are the latest and cheaper way of training drivers??

The apprenticeship is to standardize driver training across all TOCs. It's not training on the cheap and certainly isn't the same sort of wage as your typical apprentice.

HJohnson088

Well, I've just submitted my application, and done the two online tests too.

I received the rejection from TransPennine Express two weeks ago, after I passed both sets of psychometric tests with the OPC, which might give me an advantage with this application.

I do wonder though - in the rejection email from TPE, it said "you'll need to allow at least six months before reapplying."

Now, question is: is that 6 months to reapply for TPE, or for any FirstGroup operation?
I certainly hope it's the former, but I won't be surprised if it's the latter...

Owen2323

The apprenticeship is to standardize driver training across all TOCs. It's not training on the cheap and certainly isn't the same sort of wage as your typical apprentice.

Thanks for the reply - It makes sense to standardise I guess and I know the wages certainly wouldn't be the same as your typical apprenticeship for school leavers etc

Driver068

Normally in the past before applying the 1st question was if you have applied with First within the last 6 months, if clicked yes then it prevented you from applying.
On this occasion however i notice the question was not provided. So i do also wonder if applications are seperate from the normal First process or have they removed the 6 month timeline from ALL First vacancies.
Well, I've just submitted my application, and done the two online tests too.

I received the rejection from TransPennine Express two weeks ago, after I passed both sets of psychometric tests with the OPC, which might give me an advantage with this application.

I do wonder though - in the rejection email from TPE, it said "you'll need to allow at least six months before reapplying."

Now, question is: is that 6 months to reapply for TPE, or for any FirstGroup operation?
I certainly hope it's the former, but I won't be surprised if it's the latter...

Cyclist

Put in an application and completed the two online tests it sent me. Does anybody know how long it takes to receive results of said tests?

na281093

Applied and only done the first test. I’m guessing my answers weren’t good enough to receive the 2nd test which is strange because the SJT questions were the same as when I applied for TPE vacancies on the 1stGroup website and I put the same answers down. Oh well, onto the next one.

Duns2208

I received an immediate reply to say I’d passed online assessments, it then was a standard “whilst we endeavour to move everyone who passes to the next stage it’s not always possible due to volume of applicants etc. Those in top scoring bracket will progress.”

dan4291

Wow that was quick! Did my application yesterday luckily. noticed East Coast Trains are still advertising for qualified drivers and driver instructors.

dan4291

I've just noticed that too!! It looked like everything had transferred across from my TPE application in November as well so I would only have had to press submit :rolleyes:

Yeah the same details are filled in for you from your profile on the First Group Careers site from any previous applications you did. Only thing I had to do differently from TPE was answer 2 questions (what excites you about the role and what transferrable skills can you bring to the role).

Driver068

anyone heard anything about this?

Probs not be for a bit. Only closed on Monday night. Good luck to those who applied.

Dont believe anyone whos applied for the Qualified positions have heard anything also.

deanmachine

So, completely guessing at what the job entails, comparing it to the other Open Access TOCs. I guess Newcastle will be the only driver depot, with train crews staying overnight in London and Edinburgh quite often, anyone got anymore insights or better guesses than me?

Driver068

Unsure what depots they will use but given they have only so far advitised for Drivers for Newcastle they might do the same as what Grand Central do and lodge. However and correct me if i am wrong if they are running 10 services a day then they will need 25 to 30 drivers which all out of Newcastle might not be possible and having one location to store their new units both might not be possible.

I guess its all speculation as there aint much info out there regarding East Coast Trains Ltd

Im sure over the coming months more information will be put out there by the company and also people in the know on here.

Good luck, fingers crossed.

GeniusB

This was all explained in the previous thread you posted in, in great detail. Stage one is all the paper tests.
Yes I know, but the other thread is titled GWR ?? And this isn't, so I'm just trying to get some clarification on what assessments are done on stage 1, as not all TOC's stage 1 assessments are identical, some have extra assessment, some has maybe an assessment less.....if YOU can confirm that GWR and East Coast are identical then fine. I haven't sat any assessments for the above TOC's mentioned ,so I asked the question ....if that's alright with you

GeniusB

This was all explained in the previous thread you posted in, in great detail. Stage one is all the paper tests.
And didn't ask if they were all paper, I asked which particular assessments are done in stage 1

dan4291

Stage 1 assessments (assuming they are the same as TPE, also a First Group TOC) include Group Bourdon, TRP Parts 1 & 2 and Tea-Occ. They're explained if you get the email inviting you to them, and that email will include the official practice material from the RSSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.