• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (talent pool) GWR July 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedZed

That's mad but why do you not think it's a level playing field out of interest. I did my dmi with gtr yesterday and I am waiting to hear it is the last part for me except medical and the two gent's told me they are taking on 200 more with courses starting this year sometime and next. Maybe worth chasing them up mate

I don't think it's a level playing field as I've demonstrated the required attributes required to be a train driver by passing the national assessment, and my applications has been very much the same (using the same examples tailored for each different company), so, for consistency sake I would expect if I'm 'successful' with one TOC ie GTR then I should be successful with others, which is clearly not the case.

I spoke to GTR last week. The problem is they initially recruited for trainees at Bedford which was in my commutable distance. They then changed their minds about driver numbers required at Bedford and didn't tell anyone, leaving seven of us 'successful' candidates stranded outside of the commutable distance of any other GTR depot and therefore unable to be placed on a course. I was told definitely no chance for Bedford. It's just a case of me being a victim of circumstances, living the wrong end of the tracks and GTR moving the goal posts.
Oh, and my assessment expires in January so pretty much on borrowed time as I'm not prepared to put myself through that again just to be kept hanging on a leash for another three years.

Hope you get some good news (which actually induces a contract).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
I don't think it's a level playing field as I've demonstrated the required attributes required to be a train driver by passing the national assessment, and my applications has been very much the same (using the same examples tailored for each different company), so, for consistency sake I would expect if I'm 'successful' with one TOC ie GTR then I should be successful with others, which is clearly not the case.

I spoke to GTR last week. The problem is they initially recruited for trainees at Bedford which was in my commutable distance. They then changed their minds about driver numbers required at Bedford and didn't tell anyone, leaving seven of us 'successful' candidates stranded outside of the commutable distance of any other GTR depot and therefore unable to be placed on a course. I was told definitely no chance for Bedford. It's just a case of me being a victim of circumstances, living the wrong end of the tracks and GTR moving the goal posts.
Oh, and my assessment expires in January so pretty much on borrowed time as I'm not prepared to put myself through that again just to be kept hanging on a leash for another three years.

Hope you get some good news (which actually induces a contract).

Well thanks for the support hope I do too I live bedford I applied great northern then yesterday was told I would most likely be cricklewood on thameslink not gn and training would be 2 years as they are real short of driver instructors, but hey I don't mind that. Where do you live mate may I ask

RedZed

Well thanks for the support hope I do too I live bedford I applied great northern then yesterday was told I would most likely be cricklewood on thameslink not gn and training would be 2 years as they are real short of driver instructors, but hey I don't mind that. Where do you live mate may I ask

I live just outside Wellingborough on the Northants / Beds border.
Bedford would have been ideal for me (and for you too it would seem).
If they were allocating trainees to Luton then this would put me just on the edge of the commutable distance - anywhere else is too far according to GTR.

Apologies to Admins - didn't mean to turn this into a GTR thread.

baz962

Established Member
I live just outside Wellingborough on the Northants / Beds border.
Bedford would have been ideal for me (and for you too it would seem).
If they were allocating trainees to Luton then this would put me just on the edge of the commutable distance - anywhere else is too far according to GTR.

Apologies to Admins - didn't mean to turn this into a GTR thread.

Ok mate and no other toc depots near you at all

SAFC Pete

Govia thameslink railway

Cheers mate. I see they're possibly looking for trainees later this year. I'm quite disproportionately disappointed to have been rejected at such an early stage. I'm 47 and wonder if that was a factor. I hope not.

RedZed

Cheers mate. I see they're possibly looking for trainees later this year. I'm quite disproportionately disappointed to have been rejected at such an early stage. I'm 47 and wonder if that was a factor. I hope not.
I'm 52. I was 50 when I was dumped in GTR's talent pool, so fear not. There's still time yet. At the end of the day, it boils down to a postcode lottery. If you pass everything then just hope you live within the TOC commutable distance.

RedZed

Also, bear in mind the misconception that TOC's favour ex forces, ex police etc.
I've done both for most of my working life and as you can see, didn't get me very far with the GWR application, which was exactly the same as I submitted for GTR, Chiltern, DBS and London Midland.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Also, bear in mind the misconception that TOC's favour ex forces, ex police etc.
I've done both for most of my working life and as you can see, didn't get me very far with the GWR application, which was exactly the same as I submitted for GTR, Chiltern, DBS and London Midland.

It's not a misconception at all - perhaps they had something that you don't?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Such as...?

Seeing as I don't know you, them, your applications, theirs, nor am I a driver maanger, I can't comment on it specifally. But I feel there is a reason you've not been successful with most of your applications.

Its the way it is and you just sound bitter. If you were good enough you'd be a driver....

baz962

Established Member

I too am 47 and I Just did last interview if im successful then thats it apart from medical

RedZed

Seeing as I don't know you, them, your applications, theirs, nor am I a driver maanger, I can't comment on it specifally. But I feel there is a reason you've not been successful with most of your applications.

Its the way it is and you just sound bitter. If you were good enough you'd be a driver....
Ah, another subjective post based on nothing factual.

RedZed

I too am 47 and I Just did last interview if im successful then thats it apart from medical

No, "that's it when you receive the contract". Like I said, I passed everything with GTR, but still no contract.

Last edited:

JonnyH

The fact is you're not a Driver and you're blaming the TOCs for it. Simple bitterness.
I think that's a little unfair mate! You don't know anything about RedZed and his journey so far in his attempts to get in other than the fact he's been trying for a while. As he said, he has passed everything with GTR and the only reason he hasn't started yet is because he's a victim of the postcode problem! Very cruel to dismiss his capabilities and the fact that he clearly is every bit as qualified as you and I to become a train driver, he wouldn't pass everything with GTR if he wasn't, would he?

RedZed

The fact is you're not a Driver and you're blaming the TOCs for it. Simple bitterness.

Please show me where I've blamed TOC's for anything?
I've just stated facts that are pertinent to my experience in applying to become a train driver.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Please show me where I've blamed TOC's for anything?
I've just stated facts that are pertinent to my experience in applying to become a train driver.

I'm sure the "I've passed it for one so I should be good enough for all" is pretty much it.

It indicates that you think it's not your fault you're not good enough for them, but theirs.

RedZed

I'm sure the "I've passed it for one so I should be good enough for all" is pretty much it.

It indicates that you think it's not your fault you're not good enough for them, but theirs.

Not at all. I think you're missing the point that I'm trying to prove is it's not a level playing field and just because a person can pass the national assessment, DMI, medical etc.. doesn't automatically mean the job is yours, whether ex mil, ex pol or ex anything.

Anyway, hope I've made that clear. That's all I have to say on the subject.

PudseyBearHST

Not at all. I think you're missing the point that I'm trying to prove is it's not a level playing field and just because a person can pass the national assessment, DMI, medical etc.. doesn't automatically mean the job is yours, whether ex mil, ex pol or ex anything.

Anyway, hope I've made that clear. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Yes unfortunately Ive also heard that for GWR. Some people are kept in a talent pool, then they're kicked off it. But probably the most frustrating part for them is that GWR puts up another vacancy for trainee drivers very recently afterwards. Saw this in another GWR Drivers thread.

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
No, "that's it when you receive the contract". Like I said, I passed everything with GTR, but still no contract.

Well of course it could be the dreaded talent pool but I mean no more steps I need to take myself physically mate but then I guess as you are out of range moving might do it for you. I hope they don't just dump people in the pool for no reason buddy

RedZed

Well of course it could be the dreaded talent pool but I mean no more steps I need to take myself physically mate but then I guess as you are out of range moving might do it for you. I hope they don't just dump people in the pool for no reason buddy

Hmm, yes the possibility of relocation has been mentioned but as I have a family to support, I'm not about to relocate to North London (Cricklewood) on the premise of 'maybe' being offered a course... That's a big risk to put myself out of work (and the wife) and end up living in a place I'm not familiar with and probably cant afford, just for it to come to nothing.
Exactly this reason too why I had no intention of taking the job with GWR if I had been successful. Why would I risk my family home and security to relocate based on a vague promise of a sitting in a talent pool with no definite end result? Just not gonna happen.
As I have already said, I applied to GWR to measure how far along the process I could go (compared with my 'success' with GTR) using the same examples from my GTR application.
As demonstrated by my failure to even make selection for assessment with GWR (which I have already passed to enhanced standard with DBS and was accepted by both GTR and Chiltern, just proves my point that it is not a level playing field and 'standards vary from TOC to TOC. The assessment just proves you have the right "mentality" to drive a train, but if you can't match the buzzwords that they are looking for in the application / interview process, then it count's for very little.

As for dumping people in a talent pool for no reason, that's not what happened.
GTR changed their minds about recruiting for Bedford part way through the process but neglected to mention it to us applicants, so those of us who were successful and thought we were going to be located at Bedford where dumped in a talent pool and told we will contact you when we have a course to offer you. That was two years ago and it was only the beginning of this year that I managed to find out that there was actually no recruitment for Bedford after all and to quote the HR manager: "it was unlikely that I would be offered a place", ...so not exactly 'no reason'.

baz962

Established Member
Hmm, yes the possibility of relocation has been mentioned but as I have a family to support, I'm not about to relocate to North London (Cricklewood) on the premise of 'maybe' being offered a course... That's a big risk to put myself out of work (and the wife) and end up living in a place I'm not familiar with and probably cant afford, just for it to come to nothing.
Exactly this reason too why I had no intention of taking the job with GWR if I had been successful. Why would I risk my family home and security to relocate based on a vague promise of a sitting in a talent pool with no definite end result? Just not gonna happen.
As I have already said, I applied to GWR to measure how far along the process I could go (compared with my 'success' with GTR) using the same examples from my GTR application.
As demonstrated by my failure to even make selection for assessment with GWR (which I have already passed to enhanced standard with DBS and was accepted by both GTR and Chiltern, just proves my point that it is not a level playing field and 'standards vary from TOC to TOC. The assessment just proves you have the right "mentality" to drive a train, but if you can't match the buzzwords that they are looking for in the application / interview process, then it count's for very little.

As for dumping people in a talent pool for no reason, that's not what happened.
GTR changed their minds about recruiting for Bedford part way through the process but neglected to mention it to us applicants, so those of us who were successful and thought we were going to be located at Bedford where dumped in a talent pool and told we will contact you when we have a course to offer you. That was two years ago and it was only the beginning of this year that I managed to find out that there was actually no recruitment for Bedford after all and to quote the HR manager: "it was unlikely that I would be offered a place", ...so not exactly 'no reason'.

Well they are apparently according to my interviewers taking on 200 maybe you could re try for great northern and see, But you don't have to re locate to cricklewood mate I think they might let you commute from Bedford.Maybe if you have any friends nearer then lodge with them and re locate when you qualify I am just trying to help matey. Also gwr might have not progressed you as some seem to if you don't live near so they use that as a sifting method, And might have give you a chance if nearer.

Tom9748

I just got the email too.

This actually becoming quite fun to see how many TOC's I can apply for and not get the job.

Just shows how fickle the railway is and it's not the even playing field that they make out it is

In order of applications:

London Midland - Didn't pass paper sift.
DB Schenker - Passed Assessment but recruitment stopped due to business restructuring.
GTR - Passed EVERYTHING and dumped in a talent pool and left to rot for last two years with no sign of starting a course, ever.
Chiltern - Went straight to DMI and failed (I don't think anyone actually passed that one).
GWR - Did that online SJT and Alphanumeric tests and received email that I was unsuccessful. FWIW I had no intention of relocating to Reading (not that I got the opportunity to be asked). I just wanted to see how far I could get based on the yardstick of having passed everything with GTR.

I spoke to a former DB Driver Instructor recently and apparently DB will be taking people off the street in the not too distant future. Drivers and former Driver Instructors are going through the interview system to become Driver Instructors at the moment and yes before anyone shouts from the rooftops "they have just let 400 drivers go" I know,I recently left the company. Its the railways its a strange beast!!

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
I spoke to a former DB Driver Instructor recently and apparently DB will be taking people off the street in the not too distant future. Drivers and former Driver Instructors are going through the interview system to become Driver Instructors at the moment and yes before anyone shouts from the rooftops "they have just let 400 drivers go" I know,I recently left the company. Its the railways its a strange beast!!

Out of interest mate wheres their depot is that as trainee do you have any idea of trainee and qualified salary and how long is training

RedZed

Out of interest mate wheres their depot is that as trainee do you have any idea of trainee and qualified salary and how long is training
It was in Leicester when I applied back in 2014... IIRC Training quoted as 12-15 months. Salary IIRC was £24K rising to £48K.

I spoke to DB a few weeks ago to ask if I was still in their talent pool and if there was any likelihood of vacancies for trainees being continued from the last recruitment drive in 2014. They said they weren't any planned but I should keep an eye out on therr website for any future vacancies that I might like to apply for. That implies that the original talent pool no longer exists and I'll be having to start over again as and when recruitment recommences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.