• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian88

Well done getting through the sift. What date did you apply? I didn't apply until 13th

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scuba2208

Was wondering that myself Brian88. I put mine in on the 4th. Not worried yet, today seems to be the first day of responses. If I've not heard anything by close of play next Friday, I might start to worry...

Last edited:

Brian88

I'm just hoping I addressed the letter to the right person :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hopefully they will be working with the ones they received first, makes sense

MarkMayf

Refreshes email. Tick, tick, tick, refreshes email, tick, tick refreshes email. Argh. The nerves!

Kaltias

Well done getting through the sift. What date did you apply? I didn't apply until 13th

I also applied on the 13th for Edinburgh.. I had the same thought, maybe the last to apply were the first to be sifted?

Economist

Quite a few companies send the test out to pretty much all of the applicants and use the test score as a metric to whittle down the numbers in addition to the CVs and cover letters. I don't know if Virgin will do the same.

Sirgerbil

I applied on the 9th. Not sure if possibly they are initially contacting people that have already passed psychometric testing? I would fall into that category but who knows!

Brian88

Be nice to know the background of the lads who have already been sifted, do you work in the industry already?

Brian88

So 2 of you who already work in transport related jobs. That's my chances slimmed down:oops:

Junk_girl

I applied for Edinburgh and put my application in on the 6th Oct.

Nothing yet. Fingers crossed everyone.

Sirgerbil

So 2 of you who already work in transport related jobs. That's my chances slimmed down:oops:

Not really, I have no experience of the operational side of trains in the slightest. In all honesty I think they are just looking for people who are genuinely interested in the role and wanting a total change.

Someone also mentioned that these drivers will be a big PR opportunity for Virgin and if it didn't come across that you were willing to wave that Virgin flag high and proud it won't have done you any favours. The first class of drivers to go through will be under the spotlight a lot I think.

Until you get that rejection email, I wouldn't fret. 15,000 applicants is a lot of work.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Not really, I have no experience of the operational side of trains in the slightest. In all honesty I think they are just looking for people who are genuinely interested in the role and wanting a total change.

Someone also mentioned that these drivers will be a big PR opportunity for Virgin and if it didn't come across that you were willing to wave that Virgin flag high and proud it won't have done you any favours. The first class of drivers to go through will be under the spotlight a lot I think.

Until you get that rejection email, I wouldn't fret. 15,000 applicants is a lot of work.

A perceptive post.
However, everyone applying needs to remember that driving means spending seven plus hours a day in your own company. No human contact; mobile phones totally prohibited; no internet; no social media. That will be your working life for the next 2-3 decades. The art of being a successful driver is not to get noticed.

It's not the ideal career for an extrovert or performer.

doughface

A perceptive post.
However, everyone applying needs to remember that driving means spending seven plus hours a day in your own company. No human contact; mobile phones totally prohibited; no internet; no social media. That will be your working life for the next 2-3 decades. The art of being a successful driver is not to get noticed.

It's not the ideal career for an extrovert or performer.

That is so true, as a driver I can't emphasise enough how much of the above is true, once you are out of training school and on your own it really is very isolating, add that to the shifts which mean you are working weekends and lates where you won't see family and friends it can be a long time between meaningful conversation with another person...it doesn't take long for it to hit home!

doubleamber

That is so true, as a driver I can't emphasise enough how much of the above is true, once you are out of training school and on your own it really is very isolating, add that to the shifts which mean you are working weekends and lates where you won't see family and friends it can be a long time between meaningful conversation with another person...it doesn't take long for it to hit home!

Thats the good points , now tell us the bad 1s !?

up1989

I got the assessment yesterday, and I applied on the Wednesday before the deadline. For context I'm a Train op on LU, but 15k applications is a lot to sort through so who knows how they are sorting them!

Sirgerbil

I got the assessment yesterday, and I applied on the Wednesday before the deadline. For context I'm a Train op on LU, but 15k applications is a lot to sort through so who knows how they are sorting them!

At least they have realised they need to work weekends to keep up with the volume of applicants!

Gemz91

Sounds a lot like me. I'm not really a people person

Probably best not to mention that in the interview. I'm not a driver for Virgin, but I do work elsewhere as a driver, and my interview was very customer focused (as well as obviously safety focused!)

Brian88

I know that. On the 0.25% chance of being given an interview, I'll be on the ball :D

atochopefull

Of those that have been invited to do online tests, can I ask, on your application letter, did you stick to the two one hundred word answers, topped and tailed with Dear Sir and Yours Faithfully, or did you offer up more background information about yourself in the cover letter?

Webby

I understood that we were to write up a normal cover letter with sections covering the questions and to stick to the word limit in those sections ,I think that was pretty clear in the instructions,I think if they wanted just the questions they wouldve made it very clear. But I could be wrong. Steve

Brian88

I did the same as Steve. I'm sure somebody will at least have a quick look, no software can decide what they are looking for.

up1989

Of those that have been invited to do online tests, can I ask, on your application letter, did you stick to the two one hundred word answers, topped and tailed with Dear Sir and Yours Faithfully, or did you offer up more background information about yourself in the cover letter?

I had a brief info bit about my self and my background.

I found that assessment tough! Really on the edge of my seat!

bagazon

Ok guys,

Don't be shy, tell us what the assessment looks like?
Anyway we cannot prepare in advance obviously!
Anyone with email: Dear ...we sorry to inform you....

Status
Not open for further replies.