• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucko

Applied early hours of this morning and no reply as yet. I suspect no replies will be forthcoming until the closing date...

I took it that the word limit on cover letter only related to the 2 questions? The introduction and salutation etc wasn't included in word count?

Thats exactly how I understood it sir

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bagazon

Hi guys,
Any ideas what kind of selection Virgin have before usual Assessment test ?

woody1812

is virgin trains that bad a company to work for, (seems to be some negativity) could any serving drivers clear this up.
1. is it 4 on and 3 off, do you have single rest days or is it always 3 together,
2. whats the maximum time in driving seat (at the moment mine could be 5hrs) before a break.
3. how hard is it, if even possible, to change depots after probation etc.
many thanks in advance if anyone answers these Qs.

TTTE

Does anyone know how different an Azuma train might be to drive compared to other trains?

Reason I ask is that I have read the Azuma's won't be operating until 2018, and if they are different do you think this role would
a) include training for and driving other trains first and then switching over, or
b) have training specific to the Azuma's and only driving those?

I expect they'll be similar but just curious with the title being "Virgin Trains Azuma driver" as to whether the role will be solely driving those trains.

I've applied in any case. Cheers, and good luck to all who have applied.

Saltire

Well, that's my letter and CV sent off, I do find it quite bizarre that there isn't an application form as such and no mention of a formal interview in the process.

Sirgerbil

Well, that's my letter and CV sent off, I do find it quite bizarre that there isn't an application form as such and no mention of a formal interview in the process.

I'd imagine the assessment centre includes some kind of interview, plus for those who haven't completed it with another TOC, there will be the MMi too

Saltire

I'd imagine the assessment centre includes some kind of interview, plus for those who haven't completed it with another TOC, there will be the MMi too

I'm well aware that everything you say and do will be monitored on the assessment day, (if we get there), albeit in a friendly and informal manner. I don't think the MMI will happen that day as it is a part of the stage 2 psychometric assessment test and takes around 60-90 minutes for each candidate.
Also interesting to note that the advert states if successful at assessment and psychometric you WILL be offered a position, subject to medical.

Good luck to all who have managed to answer the 4 questions with your covering letter

stjimmy87

What can we expect at a virgin trains assessment day? Does it involve a circle of friends and building things to see if you are capable or operating a train....etc

atochopefull

Application in. I agree, strange no application form needed. I guess their HR dept will be swamped with applications. They've indicated a tight turnaround, so will be a nail-biting few weeks. Good luck everyone!

Saltire

Application in. I agree, strange no application form needed. I guess their HR dept will be swamped with applications. They've indicated a tight turnaround, so will be a nail-biting few weeks. Good luck everyone!

But not a huge presence on the main stream media, it isn't even on their own normal careers page.
Unlike the last time ScotRail advertised it was in all the papers and TV news programmes resulting in more than 22k applications. Hopefully we'll all keep this secret for ourselves :lol:

Scuba2208

But not a huge presence on the main stream media, it isn't even on their own normal careers page.
Unlike the last time ScotRail advertised it was in all the papers and TV news programmes resulting in more than 22k applications. Hopefully we'll all keep this secret for ourselves :lol:

Couldn't agree more Saltire! That was my biggest complaint of the Scotrail recruitment process. The amount of press attention it got inevitably meant a lot of good applications would be missed in the depths of the 22000 others!

Fingers crossed it stays this way with VTEC and applications are limited to people with a genuine interest in the job and not just people looking for a good salaried career!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Sorry if this is a silly question but why do they need so many all of a sudden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if this is a silly question but why do they need so many all of a sudden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of reasons. They are going to be running extra services when the new trains come in, and the depots have a lot of old hand drivers who will be retiring in the next few years.

Bucko

Part of the new franchise deal they have made loads of promises 1 of those is an extra 42 services a week between London and Edinburgh

Believe it when I see it

GTR wanted over 100 drivers 2 years ago, desperate to get them on board.

Assessments, Interview and medical later I'm still waiting for a course ( 15 mths )

SPADTrap

Established Member
Believe it when I see it

Assessments, Interview and medical later I'm still waiting for a course ( 15 mths )

And they're beyond inundated with trainees. Apocalypticly inundated. You're waiting for the opposite reason you think; too many trainees not enough trainers. Or they don't like you :lol:

Andy-mc

Believe it when I see it

Definitely plenty of trainees on the southern/southeastern network (and more to come). When I'm learning routes I get turned away from the cab at least 2-3 times a day because the driver is still in their first year of driving.

You're in a pool of many and they can't take them all on at once, the whole process is a game of luck and patience.

They wouldn't advertise if they weren't going to take anyone on

Last edited:

scotland1977

Does anybody know the salary once qualified as a virgin train driver ??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gradual. Trainee wages are on or around:
25K Initial
35K after passing rules and traction
Full salary when fully competent

Do you know how much the salary is when fully qualified

whoosh

Established Member
And they're beyond inundated with trainees. Apocalypticly inundated. You're waiting for the opposite reason you think; too many trainees not enough trainers. Or they don't like you :lol:

This is true. Backlog of trainees who were waiting for instructors.

inthearea

Believe it when I see it

There are so mnay trainees sat doing nothing because they have got too many and cannot cope. Hold out and wait it will come if your good enough

Scuba2208

Has anyone had a reply or acknowledgement to their application yet?
I'm guessing there will be no contact until closing date?

Gemz91

Couldn't agree more Saltire! That was my biggest complaint of the Scotrail recruitment process. The amount of press attention it got inevitably meant a lot of good applications would be missed in the depths of the 22000 others!

Fingers crossed it stays this way with VTEC and applications are limited to people with a genuine interest in the job and not just people looking for a good salaried career!

I do wonder how many of the "big salary chases" will be applying, who realistically have no chance of becoming a train driver, but just fancy the pay, will be applying. I reckon at least 50% of people who apply to these jobs don't stand a chance.

I know of at least one of these type who are applying!

Status
Not open for further replies.