• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jameshammond

To save 100 people asking the same questions, the day consists of 3 group assessments and a Q and A session.

The 3 assessments are not based on trains, there is no preparation that you can do for it, all you can do is be yourself.

There are no individual interviews and no way to get brownie points etc.

Just be yourself and if you are who they are looking for then well done.

They said there is no specific number of qualifieds or trainees they are looking for so everyone is in with a shot

Please can people not now fill up the thread with asking what the assessments involve etc, they are group discussions and you cannot do any research or preparation for them.

Enjoy the day, you can be the most qualified or least qualified person there but it's all down to the type of person you are

If you'd read my earlier post you would have known what happens on the assessment day.

We were also told no one would hear anything until at least a week after the second assessment day (running tomorrow I think.. 13th)

Norman365

If you'd read my earlier post you would have known what happens on the assessment day.

We were also told no one would hear anything until at least a week after the second assessment day (running tomorrow I think.. 13th)

2-3 weeks, so tomorrow onwards then. Fingers crossed hey?

Davidson4301

So instead of trying to be clever the answer is yes then.
This is a public discussion forum for people discussing VTEC jobs and if the questions are repeated then so what? Just because you've previously answered a question that prevents anyone from asking it again?

Anyway

Does anybody know if the qualified drivers sitting exact same assessment day as non qualified ?
Oh and James , I haven't looked through the last umpteen pages to see if that's already been answered so feel free to quote me the answer with a clever comment.

Last edited:

Norman365

:lol:
This is a public discussion forum for people discussing VTEC jobs and if the questions are repeated then so what? Just because you've previously answered a question that prevents anyone from asking it again?

Anyway

Does anybody know if the qualified drivers sitting exact same assessment day as non qualified ?
Oh and James , I haven't looked through the last umpteen pages to see if that's already been answered so feel free to quote me the answer with a clever comment.

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyway

Yeah at this stage everyone is doing the exact same assessment day.

Davidson4301

Yeah at this stage everyone is doing the exact same assessment day.

Cheers
does anyone know how the jobs are split ? I'm going for Newcastle but I have no idea how many vacancies there are? I didn't get an option on my assessment date either so I'm assuming (and hoping ) it's just the one day in Newcastle .

Gemz91

Cheers
does anyone know how the jobs are split ? I'm going for Newcastle but I have no idea how many vacancies there are? I didn't get an option on my assessment date either so I'm assuming (and hoping ) it's just the one day in Newcastle .

No, there's more then just one day in Newcastle (can't remember exactly) but not everyone at the Newcastle assessment's will have applied for Newcastle, and I'd assume that some who have applied for Newcastle will be attending assessments elsewhere.

dnc22788

No, there's more then just one day in Newcastle (can't remember exactly) but not everyone at the Newcastle assessment's will have applied for Newcastle, and I'd assume that some who have applied for Newcastle will be attending assessments elsewhere.

No one has applied for anything yet. At the assessment centre you are asked to list your preferences 1-4, kings cross, Yorkshire, Newcastle and Edinburgh

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Anyone there today? How did you find the experience? I am still trying to work out how the one a couple of weeks went lol

Gemz91

No one has applied for anything yet. At the assessment centre you are asked to list your preferences 1-4, kings cross, Yorkshire, Newcastle and Edinburgh

Can you just clarify what you mean there? I've not been to the assessment centre yet, are you listing your preference 1-4 for what location you want to be based for the actual job, or listing your preference 1-4 as to what location you want the next stage of the process to be at?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Can you just clarify what you mean there? I've not been to the assessment centre yet, are you listing your preference 1-4 for what location you want to be based for the actual job, or listing your preference 1-4 as to what location you want the next stage of the process to be at?

The former

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Speaking to a few drivers at the day a couple of weeks back and we got an email after shortlisting asking what location we would like to be considered for and what TOC we work for which was strange as it was on covering letter and CV

E&W Lucas

Established Member
FAO any DBC drivers on here:

Reports on the ASLEF FB group, that there is an application window open for DBC Drivers ONLY, who are affected by the redundancy situation. Some jobs reserved, but no numbers given when I looked.

mr double 77

FAO any DBC drivers on here:

Reports on the ASLEF FB group, that there is an application window open for DBC Drivers ONLY, who are affected by the redundancy situation. Some jobs reserved, but no numbers given when I looked.

Not sure how true this is as i know of 4 Qualified Drivers who didnt get as far as assesment day, and they applied

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Not sure how true this is as i know of 4 Qualified Drivers who didnt get as far as assesment day, and they applied

Definitely true. It's not a guaranteed shoe in; they have to pass the application and selection process, but the opportunities are there. A development of the last couple of days.

mr double 77

Definitely true. It's not a guaranteed shoe in; they have to pass the application and selection process, but the opportunities are there. A development of the last couple of days.

Sorry E&W Lucas didnt want to come across as you being incorrect, with the information was just going off what i had heard regarding Drivers from the given Foc who had applied from the start getting knocked back so too speak.
And i think that it is the only fair way of doing it as there are Qualified and non qualified who have been in this from the start.
Another point to mention is there is no given number of drivers in regards to the 78 originally stated being recruited could be more, as there are alot retiring from Virgin also.

Has anyone who attended the qualified session either on Tuesday 29th or Tuesday 13th heard anything back yet?

I've not heard anything as yet but 2 drivers at my depot have now been contacted. One was on the 29th session and one on the 13th session?

Ewie13

Has anyone who attended the qualified session either on Tuesday 29th or Tuesday 13th heard anything back yet?

I've not heard anything as yet but 2 drivers at my depot have now been contacted. One was on the 29th session and one on the 13th session?

Did they receive positive feedback?

ballast rat

I have been contacted and I know of one other, both on the 29th Nov assessment, both qualified.

boom boom

Re the DB drivers::: as part of a revised pay offer put to us,the company are going to run an additional course starting in March 2017. We have just voted heavily in favour of strike action,though due to a new offer being tabled and considered,any strike action is on hold pending a ballot on new pay offer

Suraggu

Good luck to all those who are at the assessment stage.
Plenty of staff are leaving before the ship starts to sink and heading to other Train Operating Companies.

So good luck, your going to need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.