Trainee Train Driver Waterloo (012551)

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by snakeydave24, 14 Feb 2020.

1. snakeydave24

snakeydave24 Member

So, did anyone manage to apply for this in time? came up and disappeared very quickly, and even more annoyingly I didn't receive a job alert email for it even though I am set up too :(

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. venom ivv

venom ivv Member

When did it get posted ?

4. DunfordBridge

DunfordBridge Member

5. snakeydave24

snakeydave24 Member

Already got a no today, quickest one so far :rolleyes:

6. DA1

DA1 Member

Did you manage to apply for it in the end then? Was the no after you completed the online test?

7. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

As far as I was aware there’s only a national standard on the coordination test?

8. DunfordBridge

DunfordBridge Member

I thought that too until last week and it probably is the case with the majority of operators with Transpennine being one of the few exceptions, but who knows.

How many trains do you know that are controlled by joysticks? Most of the levers in the cab tend to be notched in any case.

9. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

True, but it’s about coordination, so I guess it’s irrelevant how trains are actually controlled. You have to be able to potentially reset/press etc any or all safety devices at once. Plus some trains have a lever/handle for the brake, and one for the throttle, so you need to demonstrate you’re not massively limited in terms of simultaneous movements of both hands.

It does seem a silly test to have enhanced standards for, as you generally either have the coordination or you don’t.

Edit: Are you saying it was Transpeninne you took the assessments with before? As SWR almost certainly only use standard passes.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2020 at 20:45
  10. DunfordBridge

DunfordBridge Member

That is where I preferred the old DTG test with the coloured circles and tones where you had to press buttons and pedals. Strictly speaking, if you make a brake movement first, the DVD will not sound and need to be cancelled with the DSD. Think I would try to plan my driving so the brake was applied before I crossed the AWS magnet.

With regard to the enhanced joystick test, I can only imagine that it is a way to keep the numbers manageable, in terms of applicants.

11. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Without wanting to go too far off topic; It’s often not necessary to brake before an AWS magnet depending on the section/circumstances etc. And with the best will in the world, sometimes the DVD sounds before the driver has made any brake/throttle movement in the last 60 seconds or so :E

I have only done the coordination test on the newer style with the joysticks, and found it’s not about keeping within the lines specifically, but rather have quickly/accurately you get ‘back on track’ when you do stray. It’s deliberately not a great set up as it’s unnatural for one joystick only to move back and fourth and the other left and right. No matter how much Forza you play (or Train Simulator depending on your outlook on life :lol:).

12. DunfordBridge

DunfordBridge Member

I know the DVD sounds pretty often between Scarborough and York where the limit is 70 for miles on end. Do not even know what Forza is, something to do with music maybe?

13. TBDDesiro

TBDDesiro Member

Applied, did assessment and said I’ve been successful, still waiting for any further news.

14. DA1

DA1 Member

Applied the other day and been offered an interview for this week.

15. MDCW

MDCW Member

You must be on your 2nd attempt then. What do you have left to do? Just MMI & DMI?

16. DA1

DA1 Member

Nope, this is the first time I’ve applied for SWR and I’ve already passed the assessments with another TOC so I’m assuming this is a DMI.

17. MDCW

MDCW Member

Guess it is is you have passed MMI Good luck!

18. TBDDesiro

TBDDesiro Member

good luck!

19. DA1

DA1 Member

Thank you both!

20. TBDDesiro

TBDDesiro Member

Got an invite to Assessments, is the MMI and/or DMI on the same day?

21. Twotwo

Twotwo Member

What did the email invite state?

22. TBDDesiro

TBDDesiro Member

It didn’t state anything about Interviews so I’m assuming not but it did state the following assessments:

TRP, Group Bourdon, TEA-Occ, WAFV, ATAVT, WCT, 2Hand, Colour Vision.