• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushy35

Hi there can I ask if there are any trainee train driver jobs going please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy79

From previous posts, they are usually posted on here but always advisable to check TOC websites regularly.

driver9000

Established Member
How much leg work have you done for yourself up until now? Have you read the comprehensive "becoming a train driver" thread on this forum? Have you checked your local operators careers pages? Do you know what you're in for during the recruitment stagess? This forum has a wealth of information relating to entering and working in the grade but the initial push has to come from yourself.

hughavinalaf

How much leg work have you done for yourself up until now? Have you read the comprehensive "becoming a train driver" thread on this forum? Have you checked your local operators careers pages? Do you know what you're in for during the recruitment stagess? This forum has a wealth of information relating to entering and working in the grade but the initial push has to come from yourself.
Yep,the above is fair comment.

If you can't,or won't,perform initial research yourself then you're considering the wrong career.Such a lack of self help/preparation displays poor dedication,initiative and common sense.This is a role that thousands of people hope to secure,and you can be sure that the few who are fortunate enough to do so will have put far more effort into their research and application.

Mainline88

Sound advice!

Cusaeng

Wow, you're a friendly helpful bunch!

We are. And if someone has a valid question or needs something explaining then people here will gladly spend the time to answer it.
However with any job it won’t come to you and you need to do the leg work, hunting and research yourself to put you in a better position than everyone else.

A drivers job is a very sought after career and you can guarantee if you are not willing to put the effort in and take onboard the advice offered then at least a hundred other people will be.
It’s nothing that everyone else here hasn’t done already.

Dave

cbrstu

My personal view is a train driver is a professional career one which anyone performs should be proud of themselves for achieving such a high level of skill . Above all the commitment to succeed to become a driver shows emmence drive, commitment and motivation . I have spoken to several trainee drivers from West Midlands Trains who said it took them two and half years to get there. I say well deserved. Many persons leave the safety of the emergency services to start a new a career on the railways where it is a better lifestyle and career many have not looked back.
Anyone on this forum who has applied for a trainee driver role wish you the best of luck and hope you achieve the role you rightly deserved if you have prepared for it.

Southernsig

Geez, the chap asked if there are any vacancies going at the moment, perfectly valid question. The chap asked a question and then gets berated for not being worthy of a job..... get a grip!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromley boy

Established Member
Geez, the chap asked if there are any vacancies going at the moment, perfectly valid question. SThe chap asked a question and then gets berated for not being worthy of a job..... get a grip!

This forum really isn’t an appropriate place to ask about TOC job vacancies (driver or otherwise). Anyone who had read the trainee train driver thread for more than 5 minutes would know that.

I think post #8 above puts things very well. This forum is an excellent resource for people looking for a job (it certainly helped me!). However, there is an expectation that people do a modicum of research before forum members who work in the industry spend time responding to their questions.

Southernsig

Well, I would say asking on a forum such as this is valid place to begin researching. I would have zero problems in pointing him in the right direction if he was asking about signalling vacencies or whatever!

I guess some grades just think they are a little above their station!

Bromley boy

Established Member
Well, I would say asking on a forum such as this is valid place to begin researching. I would have zero problems in pointing him in the right direction if he was asking about signalling vacencies or whatever!

I guess some grades just think they are a little above their station!

Nothing to do with my grade and I’m more than happy to help, I just expect people to show a little initiative to show they’re serious. As a signaller, whose been through a lengthy process to get there, I’m surprised you don’t agree with me.

As for answering questions, you fill your boots mate. I’ve had quite a few PMs on here asking for info, some I’ve spent time responding to and then not had so much as a thanks in return. So much so that now I don’t bother.

That pretty much mirrors the threads I see on the subject.

EDIT: my first post on this forum was when I had a DMI lined up. Every aspect of the process before that I’d gathered from reading about it on here, without needing to make a single post.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Geez, the chap asked if there are any vacancies going at the moment, perfectly valid question...
Fair point, no-one is compelled to answer any post if they don't want to. Or they could answer and point people in the right direction in a polite manner.

I will also take the opportunity to remind people of our forum rules including:

"....if any content causes you concern, please alert us to it, by reporting it."

The report button is at the bottom left of each post; people are asked to use this and not take matters into their own hands. And also:

• "We aim to create a friendly environment for all members, where individuals respect each other. Please ensure your contributions comply with this"

Bromley boy

Established Member
Fair point, no-one is compelled to answer any post if they don't want to. Or they could answer and point people in the right direction in a polite manner.

The above is true, of course. But I do think if someone posts the question “are there any train driver/signaller/shunter (delete as appropriate) vacancies?”

It’s legitimate for people to (politely!) point out that they could do a little research and read around the subject before posting on a forum frequented by staff and enthusiasts...

Southernsig

We dont know the level of research they have done from this simple post, it is just a simple queation asking if anyone knows of any vacencies at the moment. The way some are going on here that act alone should automatically disbar him from being a driver for life!

At what point ia it ok to ask advice, you didnt until your DM. My first post on this forum was well after I became a signaller, does that mean others should not post on here at all before they even get a job going of that logic?

Its upto you or anyone else to answer or not and thats fine, but berating someone for doing something in their own way (when there is no right or wrong way) is rediculous.

And as for myself going through a lengthy process to get to where I am, yes I did, but that doesnt mean I feel the need to judge others for doing something their own way. If I fancy answering a question I will, if I don't then I wont. What I dont do is get all high and mighty and say it should be done this way or that. At the end of the day the recruitment orocess will find whoever out and if they deserve a job they might be lucky and get one, if not they almost certainly wont.

Bromley boy

Established Member
We dont know the level of research they have done from this simple post, it is just a simple queation asking if anyone knows of any vacencies at the moment.

If they’d done any, they would know better than to ask questions like that on a forum. They would be looking at their local TOC websites.

The way some are going on here that act alone should automatically disbar him from being a driver for life!

Nobody has said that, why the hyperbole? The question smacks of a lack of research into the role, which doesn’t impress, hence the responses it received. No more, no less then that.

At what point ia it ok to ask advice, you didnt until your DM. My first post on this forum was well after I became a signaller, does that mean others should not post on here at all before they even get a job going of that logic?

Its upto you or anyone else to answer or not and thats fine, but berating someone for doing something in their own way (when there is no right or wrong way) is rediculous.

There is a “wrong” way, which is expecting to be spoonfed. As with most things in life, if you expect other people to do everything for you, it probably won’t work out very well. There were some on my rules course like that. They were swiftly removed and are no longer working on the railway.

And as for myself going through a lengthy process to get to where I am, yes I did, but that doesnt mean I feel the need to judge others for doing something their own way. If I fancy answering a question I will, if I don't then I wont. What I dont do is get all high and mighty and say it should be done this way or that. At the end of the day the recruitment orocess will find whoever out and if they deserve a job they might be lucky and get one, if not they almost certainly wont.

That’s fine - but posters on here want advice. If some of that advice is to do their own research and show a little initiative maybe that’s all for the better.

Lots of people want these roles (hundreds for each vacancy!), so there’s nothing wrong with expecting a little leg work from those considering applying for them...

Just as I had to do, just as you had to do.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...It’s legitimate for people to (politely!) point out that they could do a little research ....
Absolutely, yes :) If it's polite and useful then I have no problem with that.

(example from elsewhere in the forum: someone may ask for fare advice in the fares section; I may ask what they've found so far, and whether they've tried Trainsplit first)

baz962

Established Member
If you think about it logically, is asking a question on here a form of research itself.

markfraser

Geez, the chap asked if there are any vacancies going at the moment, perfectly valid question. The chap asked a question and then gets berated for not being worthy of a job..... get a grip!

Here, here we’ll said mate, I came off here a few years ago because of the attitude of some of these drivers. I was seeing people trying to get a head by asking that same question. Then getting slammed by idiots on here for asking. The first place id ask to is forums I mean If you can’t ask here where can you ask, as we are in the industry so we are the ones to ask.

Then I come back on after years of being off and nothing has changed, still slamming people for asking a fair question.

Termy

I work in a HR function (soon to be leaving to join TfL, Yay!) and my first instinct when I see this type of question is "This person hasn't checked the job postings themselves... Or have they?". In a HR point of view, the people saying that it doesn't paint the person in a positive light are correct, I would say.

On the other hand... As a person who has tried to keep an eye on jobs across parts of the UK on the railway... Gawd, it is difficult to keep a track of every TOC website. It's difficult to keep a track of TOCs themselves some days, actually... So yeah, I see both sides to the issue, personally.

(Disclaimer: I said all of the above in this post. Nobody else. It's my personal opinion.)

Southernsig

Here, here we’ll said mate, I came off here a few years ago because of the attitude of some of these drivers. I was seeing people trying to get a head by asking that same question. Then getting slammed by idiots on here for asking. The first place id ask to is forums I mean If you can’t ask here where can you ask, as we are in the industry so we are the ones to ask.

Then I come back on after years of being off and nothing has changed, still slamming people for asking a fair question.

Idiots with an inflated sense of self importance! Probablynever new themselves or trying to get in the industry were they!!!

Bennski

Not being funny but if your upset at people posting questions about TOC jobs in the Railway jobs and Careers section then I dont understand your logic at all. If you dont like these questions then dont post on them! Coming onto these posts and moaning at them for "not doing any research" is so arrogant. Who cares if they haven't done any research, they are simply asking a question and instead of answering you are just attacking the person for asking the question??? You make for an unfriendly environment and if you have nothing positive or constructive to say dont say anything! Stop attacking people asking for advice please! Absolute disgrace, for everyone elses sake just stay away from these posts, we dont need you negativity...

I think the OP might have helped himself (or herself) if they had expanded their post a little as it was incredibly vague - e.g.

"Hi... I want to be a train driver and I wondered if anyone knew of any vacancies in the East Midlands/South Yorkshire areas or point me in the direction of the train company websites'

At least then someone may have been able to give some specific information rather then people just saying to check the TOC websites.

Daz1310

Hi could anyone help with any general info for the assessment day?

How it works?
What the tests are like?
Environment?

Any info would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.