• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raimonds

Hi, everyone!
I am looking at job advertisement and would like to apply, but in essentials there is stated that i must have already passed the industry psychometric assessments. I wonder where i could do that?
Regards

Essential

• 21 years old or over (in line with railway regulations)
  • A minimum of 3 A level qualifications or equivalent
  • In possession of a drivers licence as the successful candidates will be required to drive to a number of locations as part of their role
  • Candidates must be available to start by early May and be available to attend training for the remainder of the year
  • Candidates must have already passed the industry psychometric assessments
  • Successfully pass a railway standard medical assessment
  • Live within the West Midlands region

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bridger

Pretty sure you can do it privately with DB Schenker (for a good few hundred quid). I think they're trying to poach candidates from other TOCs who have already passed the tests and are awaiting start dates (such as myself).

Lewis H

Hi, everyone!
I am looking at job advertisement and would like to apply, but in essentials there is stated that i must have already passed the industry psychometric assessments. I wonder where i could do that?
Regards

Essential

• 21 years old or over (in line with railway regulations)
  • A minimum of 3 A level qualifications or equivalent
  • In possession of a drivers licence as the successful candidates will be required to drive to a number of locations as part of their role
  • Candidates must be available to start by early May and be available to attend training for the remainder of the year
  • Candidates must have already passed the industry psychometric assessments
  • Successfully pass a railway standard medical assessment
  • Live within the West Midlands region
I know the title of the post says Trainee Train Driver, but is that the actual role you want to apply for, if so, whats with the requirement for A Levels?

Raimonds

I know the title of the post says Trainee Train Driver, but is that the actual role you want to apply for, if so, whats with the requirement for A Levels?
Overview
GB Railfreight are pleased to announce an exciting opportunity to join the business as a Trainee Train Driver. We are looking to recruit a Trainee Train Driver in the West Midland region to support business growth. We seek safety focused and dynamic individuals who will adhere to rail industry and company regulations.

In this role you will gain an understanding of all aspects of the driver role. Initially you will undertake training to understand the Rail Operator position within the Company before embarking on an intensive Train Driver training programme at our Training School based in Peterborough. The training will consist of both classroom and practical training, followed by a number of internal assessments. You will then spend a number of weeks with a fully qualified mentor driver to put your learning into practice and enhance your skills until fully competent in the role.

The salary upon joining will be £23,000 per annum and will increase to circa £57,000 per annum within two years of concluding your training.

Please be advised that this is a shift based role on a nominal 40 hours per week.
Responsibilities
As a Trainee Train Manager, you will join our London team and support GB Railfreight in our commitment to deliver a safe, reliable and best in class service to our customers. In this role you will liaise with Rail Operators, Signallers and Contractors to ensure customer requirements are met and trains arrive on time.

Joliver

Another way of reducing/sifting applicants I guess?

Spyder01

Does anyone have any knowledge/opinions about working for GB Railfreight compared to other companies, such as Freightliner?

Bridger

Does anyone have any knowledge/opinions about working for GB Railfreight compared to other companies, such as Freightliner?
The only advice I'd have to offer is get your key with whichever company you can, and you'd always be free to apply for other TOCs at some point down the line. With such slim chances of anyone getting a driver job, I think it's better to increase the odds by applying to as many as possible. :)

Sorry for going off topic! :lol:

Stigy

Established Member
The only advice I'd have to offer is get your key with whichever company you can, and you'd always be free to apply for other TOCs at some point down the line. With such slim chances of anyone getting a driver job, I think it's better to increase the odds by applying to as many as possible. :)

Sorry for going off topic! :lol:
I agree. It’s such a competitive market and let’s face it, there’s never going to be a shortage of decent applicants. That was my thinking when applying for freight. Coming from a TOC I’d sacrifice the free travel and probably more sociable shifts, but the fact that I’d have to retake psychometric assesments was off putting when the likes of Freightliner and DB would accept what I passed over three years ago. If it meant getting in to driving I’d take that sacrifice. I’d apply for whoever would use my assesment passes for 5 years and now have found myself in a pool for GWR....just a waiting game.

bwlv9

Is this advert for one single trainee driver as it states, or will it be a whole course of West Midlands trainees?

Konik

I think it's already closed, not sure why they keep it on website - they already conducted interviews for this position

Status
Not open for further replies.