• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers ATW Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rhys37429

What are the shifts like at this depot? :)

off top of my head think the earliest start is 03:XX and latest finish is 02:XX, with two night jobs at the depot.

routes signed are;
chester - holyhead.
llandudno - llandudno junction.
chester - shrewsbury via wrexham and crewe.
wrexham - bidston.
shrewsbury - birmingham (plus diversions and stafford).
chester - manchester aiport (via warrington BQ).
chester to manchester pic (via altrincham).

some of the above is depending on what link you go in, as there is 3 links at chester to my knowlage.

traction signed;
153, 150/2, 158, 175.

craigybagel

Established Member
off top of my head think the earliest start is 03:XX and latest finish is 02:XX, with two night jobs at the depot.

routes signed are;
chester - holyhead.
llandudno - llandudno junction.
chester - shrewsbury via wrexham and crewe.
wrexham - bidston.
shrewsbury - birmingham (plus diversions and stafford).
chester - manchester aiport (via warrington BQ).
chester to manchester pic (via altrincham).

some of the above is depending on what link you go in, as there is 3 links at chester to my knowlage.

traction signed;
153, 150/2, 158, 175.

Down to two links now. Routes are pretty much as you described, the difference between the two links being only one of them signs Stafford and Crewe-Shrewsbury, and only the other link signs via Altrincham and Manchester Piccadilly to the Airport. Only the first of those two links signs 153s.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Gosh ATW's application process is not the most intuitive compared to some other TOCs...!

Meant to ask this for a while now, what exactly is a "link" in the context above?

red2005

Gosh ATW's application process is not the most intuitive compared to some other TOCs...!

Meant to ask this for a while now, what exactly is a "link" in the context above?

Think that's more to do with other Tocs going overboard more than anything lol.

A link is basically where certain drivers do certain work, over certain routes using certain traction that other links may not. Hard to explain really so forgive me..... things like book on/off times may be different etc.

General concencus is when you join a company/depot you go into a link with what could be described as the link with the not so attractive work..... then as time passes through time served or with people ahead of you choosing not to move links you can apply for vacancies in other links....... or just be promoted to them depending how each depot works.

Not a big fan of links personally as I feel it's just another excuse for more depot politics..... but if used correctly and fairly they're not too bad.

Hope this helps..... as I say I just go in and do the job so I'm not totally savvy on it lol

sw1ller

Established Member
Not much difference in the links at Chester. The “starter” link is actually my preferred one.

Chester don’t have depot drivers so like it’s been said above, there’s two night jobs. Night depot driver and overnight Holyhead (last train there, first train home. It’s horrible). But I’m led to believe it’s going down to 1 night job soon.

I think Chester needs 11 new drivers for this new Liverpool airport run via the Halton curve. I know at least 1 person that works at Chester has been told he’s got a job as a trainee from the last round of job vacancies that got pulled to let DB cargo drivers in.

It’s a good depot but llandudno is much nicer. Like a holiday camp there!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just when I was vaguely hopeful the short vacancy duration might mean fewer applicants... the MEN blows the whole thing wide open :lol::lol:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/jobs-train-drivers-chester-arriva-13721194

Remember watching Thomas the Tank Engine as a child and wishing it could be you driving the big blue locomotive?

Well now you can, expect the train won’t have a face and instead of it being Thomas it’s an Arriva train going to North Wales.

It’s not quite as magical but with wages going up to £47,500 you can use your imagination.

Usual high quality journalism too.

craigybagel

Established Member
Not much difference in the links at Chester. The “starter” link is actually my preferred one.

Chester don’t have depot drivers so like it’s been said above, there’s two night jobs. Night depot driver and overnight Holyhead (last train there, first train home. It’s horrible). But I’m led to believe it’s going down to 1 night job soon.

I think Chester needs 11 new drivers for this new Liverpool airport run via the Halton curve. I know at least 1 person that works at Chester has been told he’s got a job as a trainee from the last round of job vacancies that got pulled to let DB cargo drivers in.

It’s a good depot but llandudno is much nicer. Like a holiday camp there!

The old 9 man starter link has been done away with - it's just two big links now.

Just when I was vaguely hopeful the short vacancy duration might mean fewer applicants... the MEN blows the whole thing wide open :lol::lol:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/jobs-train-drivers-chester-arriva-13721194

Usual high quality journalism too.

Chester chronicle, Wales online and the Liverpool echo as well - which might explain why the vacancies have now closed.

PaulWilf

It was also mentioned in The Daily Post. Does anybody know the limit ATW set for trainee applications before deciding to close a vacancy?

Lrd

Established Member
It was only advertised as being open for 3 days

PaulWilf

It was only advertised as being open for 3 days

Thanks for the reply. I'd seen it was due to close on 6 October but might close early if sufficient applications were received. It was closed by 10.15 this morning so I was wondering what figure of applicants they were seeking before they decide to close the vacancy.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Edit: just logged on to their careers site and it says I applied for the qualified driver role :-/ I’m 100% sure I would not have clicked on that...

It also says “withdrawn” against application status.

Devastated :(

TeaTrain

Don't worry mate there will be other chances. Especially nearer to you! I'm also waiting for something to pop up in Manchester.

baz962

Established Member
Edit: just logged on to their careers site and it says I applied for the qualified driver role :-/ I’m 100% sure I would not have clicked on that...

It also says “withdrawn” against application status.

Devastated :(
What area are you buddy

baz962

Established Member
Ha, if I wasn’t married I would :)

More reason to go lol, luckily my mrs is prepared to move for my dream (probably as train driver salaries are so good she could go part time or retire). So manchester tram it is for you then mate lol.

sw1ller

Established Member
The old 9 man starter link has been done away with - it's just two big links now.

Chester chronicle, Wales online and the Liverpool echo as well - which might explain why the vacancies have now closed.

I said “starter” link. As in red. I know the blue one is gone. I meant I really don’t like the green or “experienced” link. Cheshire lines does not interest me!

craigybagel

Established Member
I said “starter” link. As in red. I know the blue one is gone. I meant I really don’t like the green or “experienced” link. Cheshire lines does not interest me!

My apologies, I didn't realise - I thought Red and Green were considered equal now, I'd heard last year that new starters could potentially go in Green. And no, I don't understand why people would want to go in that link either!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well they have (very) kindly agreed to put my application back in the trainee pile - really decent of them is that.

Still have a very poor chance, but a better chance than I do at the Qualified role... :oops::oops:

sw1ller

Established Member
My apologies, I didn't realise - I thought Red and Green were considered equal now, I'd heard last year that new starters could potentially go in Green. And no, I don't understand why people would want to go in that link either!

I heard that too. None of them did though. Plus I know of one driver that’s been there since I was born waiting to get into it. So I can’t see new starters getting in on it. There’s not much difference anyway. Don’t know what link will get Liverpool airport though. That will be interesting.

sw1ller

Established Member
Well they have (very) kindly agreed to put my application back in the trainee pile - really decent of them is that.

Still have a very poor chance, but a better chance than I do at the Qualified role... :oops::oops:

You’ve got as good a chance as any. That “about me” page on the application has to be spot on though. Good luck.

Does anyone know when people might start hearing something back from this? I know it's typically around 2 weeks, but was wondering if anyone had more info.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Does anyone know when people might start hearing something back from this? I know it's typically around 2 weeks, but was wondering if anyone had more info.

They are currently advertising for qualified train drivers at Chester also. This may slow the process down if they decide to wait and see how many qualified apply before deciding on how many new recruits to process.

There aren't any positions at the moment as I understand it, the applications are to go into the talent pool .

sw1ller

Established Member
There are 12 new drivers needed at Chester. The trainees need to be qualified by December next year so I would think they’ll be a course in January -March. They’re also advertising for a DM too as there will be too many drivers there soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.