Trainee Train Drivers - LOROL

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by RJ, 8 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJ

RJ Established Member

London Overground now advertising...would be surprised if anybody who wants to do it doesn't get a chance what with at least a half dozen advertisements in the last few weeks!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Skoodle

Skoodle Member

It closes in 2 days though, so get applying!

4. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

Started completing my application now, Only bad point, not been working for more than 5 years in fact I have little employment history.

5. 387star

387star Established Member

I need to stand out from the crowd and gain a lot of experience to stand a real chance of becoming a driver.

Any chance there will be a big demand for them in the years to come eg new rail lines.

6. Dave A

Dave A Established Member

I was discussing this with a mate recently. Unless they start putting Automatic Train Operation in on lines in the near future, ie 50 years (highly unlikely), then yes.

Many of the current drivers in most TOC's are getting into their retirement years, and many more trains will be needed, so I'm sure in the years to come there will be plenty of chances! :)

And also, in regards to your first sentence (and it pains me as someone who has done the experience and jumping through hoops to be on waiting lists), you don't need to have any. Many people fluke the assessments and interviews these days, as they are common sense. So if you believe you can do it, go for it! There's always the 2nd chance.

P.S. Cheers for sharing this, will be good to give a go while FGW fudge me around. :)

7. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Any truth that lorol are going DOO soon?

8. A-driver

A-driver Established Member

Already 50/50 DOO-Watford and east London are already. always rumours of DOO at all TOCs. Thing is now with the McNumpty report the rumours may start up again.

9. Firestarter

Firestarter Member

Make me wonder if their any point in applying for conductor vacancies if their go fully DOO

10. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

There is some strong opposition from the unions!

11. warriorofrovac

warriorofrovac Member

Any point in applying if you don't live within a hour of the vacancy at the time of applying? even if you are willing to relocate?

12. A-driver

A-driver Established Member

Whatever you may read on here there is only one sure way to find out isn't there? And you arnt going to loose anything by applying.

13. lewisb

lewisb Member

I have the same question, I believe they firstly look at your location then move you to the no pile without reading any further. Shame really.

14. E&W Lucas

E&W Lucas Established Member

TOCs can be slightly wary of relocating applicants. Some have suffered a spate of trainees moving straight back to where they come from, as soon as they are able to apply for jobs as qualified drivers. This represents a considerable cost to the company, and still leaves them short of manpower.

15. lewisb

lewisb Member

Thanks for your reply E&W,

Which is fair enough and valid point I guess but in my case i've moved all around the uk for work and my home town and family are down that way anyway (watford) so you'd think they'd be happy i'd stay!
    I guess as Adriver said nothing to lose I guess.

16. theking

theking Member

Anyone had any response yet?

17. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

I never made the shortlisting, but I don't live in London at the mo...

18. theking

theking Member

Did they email you back because I haven't even had a rejection yet?

19. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

Yeah I got an email dated the 15th November from "donotreply@invalidemail.com" but signed from LOROL. It may have gone to your spam.

20. theking

theking Member

The only one i've got is the thank you for applying one... oh well another one down the pan although it was a long shot.

21. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

It may not be over, they may be considering you! Can you not log on to the application and check?

22. theking

theking Member

I tried but it's not like firstgroups website where you can view status and stuff on the lorol all you can see is what you've previously applied for with no status.

23. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

Oh right.

Perhaps contact them and ask?

24. theking

theking Member

I was reluctant to contact them as didn't want to come across as too pushy but I emailed and they are still considering the applications and will notify people of the outcome in a few weeks.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    A few weeks! I got my knock back email today... Maybe it wasn't a good idea to chase up my application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.