• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers - Waterloo (14.01.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bencronin

I also have been lucky enough to apply for this position within the short advertising timeframe.
I've just gotten an email for an assessment on 1st of february.
Was not expecting this at all to be honest.
Very nervous and excited at the same time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quin79

I also have been lucky enough to apply for this position within the short advertising timeframe.
I've just gotten an email for an assessment on 1st of february.
Was not expecting this at all to be honest.
Very nervous and excited at the same time.
Well done. I'm starting to get concerned now that I haven't heard.

Bencronin

Well done. I'm starting to get concerned now that I haven't heard.
Thank you.
I actually didn't expect to get a reply at all.
But, gotta take the opportunity now that I have.
I'm sure you will get the call.
If I did then most others should.

Train Driver

Out of interest, what field of work are you guys currently in and does work experience in a particular field give you an edge over the other candidates?

Quin79

Out of interest, what field of work are you guys currently in and does work experience in a particular field give you an edge over the other candidates?
I don't think any industry puts you ahead of anyone else to be honest. I think you need to demonstrate you are an all rounder that will be able to cope with the pressure, ability to learn and retain a great deal of knowledge and be extremely safety conscious as well as demonstrating excellent customer services. Me, 17 years as a Police officer

Bencronin

Evening all,

I was lucky enough to submit an application in time for this position. To my surprise, I’ve been invited to attend an assessment day on the 25th of January. I’m a little unsure whether to accept this date or not as I don’t know if there’ll be enough time to prepare sufficiently for all the assessments? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best of luck today. Hope it all goes well for you.

Bencronin

I'm a steel fabricator/welder for over 20 years. I have no more ladders to climb in my job, I always feel I need to better myself. I always thought 20 years is enough for any person in any industry, this is the reason I am applying for this role.

MatthewLdn

Thanks Bencronin. Due to their computer needing updating, we only sat the paper tests today. I’m pleased to say that I passed those and now awaiting a date to sit the computer tests in the next few weeks. From what we were told, the company is looking to run 12-16 courses for 2020 and so I think they will be taking on a lot of new trainees over the course of the year.

MatthewLdn

I also just wanted to say a big thanks to those who offered advice and support, it certainly helped in my preparation. Still a long way to go, but happy to have passed the first hurdle.

Bencronin

Well done MatthewLdn.
It must be good to have that off your chest.
Not so good that you have to take another trip to Southampton to finish it tho.

MatthewLdn

It’s not too bad. I get to see my parents while I’m here too, as it’s where I’m originally from.

Patience

Thanks Bencronin. Due to their computer needing updating, we only sat the paper tests today. I’m pleased to say that I passed those and now awaiting a date to sit the computer tests in the next few weeks. From what we were told, the company is looking to run 12-16 courses for 2020 and so I think they will be taking on a lot of new trainees over the course of the year.

Well done MatthewLdn I was one of the unlucky ones who didn't get application through in time but more prepared for the next one.

MatthewLdn

Thanks Patience, I’m sure there will be more opportunities coming up. I believe they’re taking on a lot of recruits this year, although they didn’t say how many for each depot.

Train Driver

I also just wanted to say a big thanks to those who offered advice and support, it certainly helped in my preparation. Still a long way to go, but happy to have passed the first hurdle.

How was the tests? any tips? and how was your preparations going on the practise papers provided, did you have high accuracy in the bourdon tests and how many lines did you average to complete in the minute timeframe?

I know its a loaded comment but any insight to your journey thus far would be appreciated!

Train Driver

How is everyone getting on with the practise tests provided? anyone getting through them in the time frame provided and whats the accuracy like after checking your answers? I am abit worried about the pass marks, idk what the percentage for a pass is

Bencronin

I got myself a dot test book on amazon.
I believe SWR give you 2 mins per test so I halved that to 1 min to do it on the book. At the moment I'm getting through 11 lines in 1 minute and missing 4, 4 dot boxes. I think 11 lines is good but I need to cut out my mistakes of missing some.

MatthewLdn

How was the tests? any tips? and how was your preparations going on the practise papers provided, did you have high accuracy in the bourdon tests and how many lines did you average to complete in the minute timeframe?

I know its a loaded comment but any insight to your journey thus far would be appreciated!

I found the bourdon test quite easy. I believe it’s 2 mins each page. In practice I was managing 12-13 lines with 0-1 omissions and that’s what I believe I achieved on the day.

As others have said on here, it’s definitely better to take your time first making sure you have no omissions and then build up the speed.

The most difficult test I found was the GLOP test. In hindsight, I would have spent a bit more time preparing for that.

1725RJ

I got myself a dot test book on amazon.
I believe SWR give you 2 mins per test so I halved that to 1 min to do it on the book. At the moment I'm getting through 11 lines in 1 minute and missing 4, 4 dot boxes. I think 11 lines is good but I need to cut out my mistakes of missing some.
Hi mate.
I gather 11 lines in 1 minute is at A5 size....not A4?

Train Driver

I found the bourdon test quite easy. I believe it’s 2 mins each page. In practice I was managing 12-13 lines with 0-1 omissions and that’s what I believe I achieved on the day.

As others have said on here, it’s definitely better to take your time first making sure you have no omissions and then build up the speed.

The most difficult test I found was the GLOP test. In hindsight, I would have spent a bit more time preparing for that.

----

In the practise material provided it doesn't include the dots test for the bourdon exercise rather it is a row of letters; putting a line through the letter you'd be searching for. Did the test include the dots and letter tests or just one of them?

Railway123321

Hello, i have an DMI coming up with SWR and was wondering if anyone has any tips on the kind of questions asked? Many thanks for your help : - )

Train Driver

I moved to London a month ago so I don’t have any letters in my current address, will it work against me in the assessment as I have to prove I live within 45 mins of Waterloo right ?

Train Driver

I have moved in with a mate so it won’t be an official agreement if you know what I mean, it’s until I find a proper place myself

Status
Not open for further replies.