• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers - Waterloo (14.01.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA1

This sounds positive. Let’s hope I hear from them in the not too distant future regarding a start date then.
Good luck with the exams!
Do we know how many classes there currently are?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I can confirm that Training has resumed, however at a slower rate because of COVID-19. SWR take social distancing very seriously and have done a great job. They clearly care about their staff as the conditions at the training centre in Basingstoke are strict, we even have 1 trainer per 6 trainees to ensure social distancing is kept too.

Myself and 11 others started in March and have our Rules final exam next Friday.
We have been learning over Zoom for the past 10 weeks and had 5 days on the sims with 1 - 1.5 hours each per day last week. With an exam every day this week instead of 1 every week as it’s normally done.
Yes it’s taken longer than it should have but SWR have been great in giving us full pay whilst learning from home.

The trainers and support staff are great, they want to get things moving so I would expect you will hear from them in the coming weeks if you are waiting for a start date.

I am only a trainee so I’m not privileged to precise information. Just thought I’d give some info to those who are waiting As I’d be keen to hear back if i were in their shoes.

This is a useful update, thanks for sharing. I am awaiting a new start date also as my previous one was cancelled. Although I suspect they will want to fill the busier depots first. I'm going to Weymouth so I suspect that won't be a priority at the moment.

I know they normally run classes of 12 trainees, generally once a month. Is there any indication they are looking for additional trainers and likely to run two courses of 6 a month, or will getting people through the system take twice as long now due to class sizes being in half?

theironroad

Established Member
This is a useful update, thanks for sharing. I am awaiting a new start date also as my previous one was cancelled. Although I suspect they will want to fill the busier depots first. I'm going to Weymouth so I suspect that won't be a priority at the moment.

I know they normally run classes of 12 trainees, generally once a month. Is there any indication they are looking for additional trainers and likely to run two courses of 6 a month, or will getting people through the system take twice as long now due to class sizes being in half?

I don't know but that would come with its own issues of finding space and trainers. Neither are insurmountable as first/swr could lease office space as an interim if the training school is at capacity (and has been done before). Trainers have previously been provided to the school on secondment. However, don't know whether there are plans for either.

Metro, especially Waterloo, depots will probably be a focus as higher turnover and Waterloo has a number of vacancies. The recent pay deal should slow the attrition rate however.

DA1

I don't know but that would come with its own issues of finding space and trainers. Neither are insurmountable as first/swr could lease office space as an interim if the training school is at capacity (and has been done before). Trainers have previously been provided to the school on secondment. However, don't know whether there are plans for either.

Metro, especially Waterloo, depots will probably be a focus as higher turnover and Waterloo has a number of vacancies. The recent pay deal should slow the attrition rate however.

Thanks for the insight. I hope you’re right as I’m waiting for a start date at Waterloo.

Joe-7

Hi MatthewLdn hope you well, any update on your process ?? Also do you know if there will be any new trainee train driver recruitment any time soon ?
Thanks

MatthewLdn

Hi Joe, I spoke to recruitment in August and was told that trainee driver recruitment remains on hold. That’s as much as I know I’m afraid. I feel that it’s either going to be a very long wait or it won’t go ahead at all now, especially with how things are developing due to covid.

Joe-7

Hi Joe, I spoke to recruitment in August and was told that trainee driver recruitment remains on hold. That’s as much as I know I’m afraid. I feel that it’s either going to be a very long wait or it won’t go ahead at all now, especially with how things are developing due to covid.

Thanks for the quick reply MatthewLdn wish you all the best mate

DunfordBridge

I also spoke to recruitment, in mid-August and I was told in no uncertain terms that there would be no recruitment of trainee drivers in 2020 due to class sizes being drastically reduced and also the training back log. They were unable to give me a date as to when the recruitment would resume but we were still being kept on the system.

SWR are slowly working their way though the backlog of candidates and giving them dates. I have a new date now to start on 11th January 2021.

MatthewLdn

That’s good to hear, I haven’t heard any movement with my application since I sat my DMI. I’m not even sure if SWR have conducted any MMI’s since the previous lockdown.

mresh91

Any updates on any potential dmi interviews?

Last update I got was from August mate, stating the next stage of the interview process will be the DMI interview. Going to ring them up late February for updates. GTR advertising for many driver positions now, but I've got my mind set on Waterloo depot. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else waiting for a DMI interview specifically?

DA1

Last update I got after passing everything was in June/July for a course date and all that was was hold tight. I’ve heard absolutely nothing since then.

In the mean time I’ve had a DMI with another TOC and have a start date set in stone

Last update I got was from August mate, stating the next stage of the interview process will be the DMI interview. Going to ring them up late February for updates. GTR advertising for many driver positions now, but I've got my mind set on Waterloo depot. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else waiting for a DMI interview specifically?
Don’t count your chickens. If I were you I would definitely be applying for GTR.

mresh91

I respect that, but it's a conscious choice on my part, I'm very happy in my current job so there's no rush whatsoever, if one TOC/depot would entice me for driver, it would be for SWR/Waterloo. Don't want the driver job with GTR. Sounds bizarre, but there's method to the madness. :)

MatthewLdn

I emailed last month and was told that they’re waiting upon dates for courses in 2021, and that it’ll be unlikely that there will be any further updates this year. Currently waiting to sit my MMI, having passed everything else.

Lewis H

I respect that, but it's a conscious choice on my part, I'm very happy in my current job so there's no rush whatsoever, if one TOC/depot would entice me for driver, it would be for SWR/Waterloo. Don't want the driver job with GTR. Sounds bizarre, but there's method to the madness. :)
I’d sit comfy if you are waiting for Waterloo mate, there’s such a large backlog of Trainees at the moment that haven’t had DI’s since March, I imagine it’s the same across the company. The intakes for courses are smaller aswell to allow for government guidelines.

mutters85

Hi, does anyone know how long the DMI lasts for with SWR please?

I had my DMI back in 2019 with SWR, lasted around an hour or maybe less. Still waiting for my MMI, but with the current circumstances I’m not holding out much hope that it will be anytime soon.

MatthewLdn

Sorry, I should’ve have been clearer. I passed my DMI in February last year and awaiting an MMI. I was just wondering if the DMI pass expires after a certain period of time.

J3053B

Maybe to give a little more clarity of Waterloo situation specifically, I know of several trainees who haven't driven for over a year now - regional depots seem to be coping better.

MatthewLdn

Hi, does anyone know if there is likely to be any trainee driver courses commencing this year for Waterloo?

I think the next course is scheduled to start in March and those spaces have been allocated. Not sure for which depots though. Also there won’t be as much training this year due to the backlog of people waiting for driving instructors etc. Although I have heard there will be a lot of potential vacancies going forward?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.