• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Planner assessment day (Govia Thameslink)- what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralt

Hello everyone, I passed on-line assessments, data entry test and mathematics based on tickets test (interestingly, it is the same maths test I did twice for other positions at GTR during my previous applications).

What to expect on the assessment day? I received 3 attachments- one with ticket, second one with general information (arrive on time etc.) and third with professional planning test and that's all. In the email it says that there also will be a Train Planning Work Sample, but they don't specify anything more. Anyone did that train planning work sample test?

In the email it doesn't even say that successful assessment day candidates will have interview with manager of train planning team (at a later date as usual). They say that successful candidates will be required to attend a pre-employment drugs and alcohol screening and medical examination on your general health at a later date.

That means no interview? Getting a job offer straight after assessment day?

I practiced professional planning test and got it 100% correct the first time but I think they will give much more difficult one at the assessment center which I don't understand as it would be better to provide very difficult training material so candidates could be better prepared for the actual test. It's like training with light weights at the gym and then going to weightlifting competition where you have to lift much heavier load, of course you won't be prepared.

Anyone did professional planning test and can share their experience? Was it similar to the practice material (I learned that it's not so obvious with tests at GTR...)?

All help much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SlushyB

Hi Ralt, have you had your assessment day yet? I've got one coming up and I'm unsure what else I should prepare.

Ralt

Hi Ralt, have you had your assessment day yet? I've got one coming up and I'm unsure what else I should prepare.

Hello, I have it tomorrow. I think you can't prepare for that assessment much. I asked here and nobody replied so it's not common assessment like for conductor where people actually can provide some useful insights.

For that assessment what we can do is only read everything they sent in emails and attachments and do that professional planning test and that's all they sent (for practice).

The other test will be Train Planning Work Sample. But no info provided on that one.

SlushyB

Hello, I have it tomorrow. I think you can't prepare for that assessment much. I asked here and nobody replied so it's not common assessment like for conductor where people actually can provide some useful insights.

For that assessment what we can do is only read everything they sent in emails and attachments and do that professional planning test and that's all they sent (for practice).

The other test will be Train Planning Work Sample. But no info provided on that one.
Thanks for your reply

I’ve done the assessment day now and it was really difficult. I definitely think they should have provided some sort of example for the train planing work sample.

Hi Guys,

How did the assessment day go?

Cheers

I found it quite difficult. Did you have an assessment day too?

Ralt

Hi Guys,

How did the assessment day go?

Cheers
Hello,

It was hard (task with train planning). Task 1 was also hard but at least they provided with practice material. I passed my assessment.

Thanks for your reply

I’ve done the assessment day now and it was really difficult. I definitely think they should have provided some sort of example for the train planing work sample.

I found it quite difficult. Did you have an assessment day too?

Exactly. How come they didn't provide any practice material for that...? Another thing is that assessor was explaining task 1 in detail but task 2 just briefly because another group was about to begin their assessment. Anyway, I passed so I'm happy but that was tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.