• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Tram Driver - Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
The website has completely changed since I first applied last year...! Much better now it seems.

I have applied again although I don't imagine I am quite what they're looking for, you gotta be in it to win it though right! ;)

TerryTank

My thinking too mate. What sort of background do you think they usually recruit from? I've got no experience working with trams/rail so I'm not feeling too hopeful :| still as you say, got to be in it to win it!

kaine19

They recruit from every were. On my course there were few bus drivers Inc my self. Tesco. Hgv. Mechanic. One worked at ticketmaster

robnewton77

Anyone applied for this and heard back yet? Still radio silence for me. Starting to lose hope...

Shrimper

From experience, Metrolink HR are not the fastest!

Additionally, I seem to recall from the ad that if you hadn't heard from them by 30th May to assume your application was unsuccessful. You've got a while yet!

robnewton77

Yes, it did say May 30th. Just seem to recall reading some past threads with people saying they'd had phone calls pretty soon after the deadline. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed a bit longer then!

Geordie-bri

I applied for this too - still all quiet from them.

I did apply back in 2012 and I vaguely remember it took them an age to get back - lost all hope before the letter dropped on my doormat.

I mucked up the final SCAAT which sent me packing, but second time lucky maybe!

B

martin2345uk

Established Member
Not heard owt yet, and to be honest I don't expect to.. they must get so many applications and I'd wager that 98% of them have more relevant experience than I do...!

robnewton77

I have no direct experience either, although I've worked closely with the public for the last 15 years so I'm hoping that counts for something, you never know (wishful thinking?)

I had a go at one of those SCAAT tests and only got a few lines in. Maybe hearing nothing's for the best :roll:

TerryTank

Anyone heard anything on this yet? 6 days to go before we have to assume we've been unsuccessful...

robnewton77

Well, I think I'm gonna just give up all hope on this one now. Gutted. :| Been dying to apply for this job for so long but had to wait until this year due to family circumstances limiting my ability to work changing shift patterns. Fingers crossed they advertise again soon, although I'll know better than to get too excited next time :roll:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well, I think I'm gonna just give up all hope on this one now. Gutted. :| Been dying to apply for this job for so long but had to wait until this year due to family circumstances limiting my ability to work changing shift patterns. Fingers crossed they advertise again soon, although I'll know better than to get too excited next time :roll:

Aye me too mate :( I think we have to wait 6 months before we can try again too! :oops:

Geordie-bri

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat too. I know when I applied 4 years ago I had lost all hope until I got the letter for interview.

I know what you guys mean though, and its certainly disheartening when you don't here back.

Chin up though - we never know :)

B

TerryTank

If it wasn't for the line at the end of the application about being unsuccessful if we'd not heard by 30th May, I'd allow myself to remain slightly hopeful. Although I suppose with the number of applications they receive there's always a small chance they run over these deadlines they set...

TerryTank

I dunno mate, I've not heard anything to say I've not been successful so I'm clinging on to a last bit of hope! Been practising the SCAT and dials tests so I'm well prepared to hear some good news from them :lol:

TerryTank

I applied for the May 2016 posts, had a telephone interview last week.

Was this the recruitment with the application deadline of April 30th (and deadline to have received a response from Metrolink by May 30th)?

maccalad

Was this the recruitment with the application deadline of April 30th (and deadline to have received a response from Metrolink by May 30th)?

No mate, the closing date was end of May, although I can't recall the actual date.

TerryTank

Well I missed out on that one then! I applied on the round that closed April 30th and didn't think to check for new vacancies again so soon...

Did they tell you if you were successful after the phone interview? I wonder if they're still doing the same assessment days to whittle numbers down as everyone's talked about on here or if their selection process has changed?

fallowfielder

Is there anybody there? Any news on applications? I applied for the tram driving job with a deadline of 30th April 2016 - I haven't heard anything yet, I'm just wondering if anybody has?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Is there anybody there? Any news on applications? I applied for the tram driving job with a deadline of 30th April 2016 - I haven't heard anything yet, I'm just wondering if anybody has?

Is that the one that said "if you don't hear by the end of May, consider yourself unsuccessful"?

I applied then too, I consider myself unsuccessful :oops:

maccalad

I had the phone call in the middle of June in respect of a telephone interview.

I was told that my application would be passed on and I would be contacted in due course.

I have heard nothing since!

I could really do with speaking to a current MetroLink driver!!!

fallowfielder

I had the phone call in the middle of June in respect of a telephone interview.

I was told that my application would be passed on and I would be contacted in due course.

I have heard nothing since!

I could really do with speaking to a current MetroLink driver!!!

Having read your previous threads, I wonder if the reason they called you was to find out why you wanted the job when it involved taking such a large pay cut. The fact I've not had a phone call I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. From reading other people's old threads I can see the process is slow due to the high volume so again not hearing might not be a bad thing. I think my application was strong enough to at least have got invited to the assessment day. Obviously I could be wrong but I personally don't think there have been any assessment days yet. If anyone knows differently feel free to correct me!

kaine19

I use be a metrolink driver. Left 8 weeks ago. HR team were busy then am guessing they are now also. At the minute. St peter square is shut so they wont need that many drivers. But maybe nearer to the time of it reopening they will. Also northern are still taking on and a lot of tram drivers have applied and been successful (inc myself) its not a tram driver you need speak to. Its the HR team. But like i say it will be case of just been busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.