• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Training Centres, where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James71

Does anyone know where the training centres are for some of the biggest TOCs? Maybe we could curate a list if there isn't one already.

I'm mainly interested in West Midlands - for those based in Bletchley :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StaffsPM1

Bletchley is London North Western. Training centre is in central birmingham

from memory
XC is at Brum and Derby
EMR is Derby
Chiltern is at Aylesbury
Southern in at Selhurst depot
South Eastern is at Ashford (I think)
Avanti West Coast is at Crewe
and GWR is at Swindon?
South Western Railway is at Basingstoke
LNER at York?
Thats as many as I can think off

James71

Oh wow, so what do they do if you live far from the training centre but close to the depot?

Galvanize

Southern’s is at Streatham Hill and West Worthing I think.
Thameslink at Three Bridges and possibly Bedford.
Great Northern at Hornsey and Letchworth Garden City.
In addition there’s a training centre used for classroom based stuff at Monument Place in the City of London, not far from London Cannon Street.

Southeastern, I’m aware of a training centre at Orpington. Traction training also takes place at Grosvenor Carriage sidings outside London Victoria.

DA1

Southeastern have training centres at Ashford and Orpington. Traction takes place at Victoria sidings but also Grove Park depot.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
GWR have training centres at: Swindon, Bristol, Reading and Newton Abbot. In addition, they have sim centres at Reading, Bristol and Plymouth

RBSN

Northern Trains Limited

Training schools in Leeds and I believe Manchester

StaffsPM1

Southern’s is at Streatham Hill and West Worthing I think.
Thameslink at Three Bridges and possibly Bedford.
Great Northern at Hornsey and Letchworth Garden City.
In addition there’s a training centre used for classroom based stuff at Monument Place in the City of London, not far from London Cannon Street.

Southeastern, I’m aware of a training centre at Orpington. Traction training also takes place at Grosvenor Carriage sidings outside London Victoria.

Southern is Selhurst, thats where the driver sims are. Streatham is used occasionally for guards training, where would West Worthing be there is nothing there? They might do some traction there but if we are going to be that loose then you could say the whole network. I have certainly travelled the network to do traction training. Chiltern for example tend to 68 traction course at Wembley depot.

Yes sorry didn't think XC were at Brum

Stigy

Established Member
Oh wow, so what do they do if you live far from the training centre but close to the depot?
Everyone seems to be replying to this thread assuming we’re talking about trainee driver/Guard training locations, so I’ll form the same assumption:D

GWR will supply accommodation as long as your home depot is more than 90 minutes from the training centre. It’s not so good, I’d imagine, if you’re a Paddington trainee and live 60 minutes to the north of London, or similar.

SWR don’t supply hotels routinely, although they do have a budget for it depending on the role and location etc. I’ve never known them arrange accommodation for trainee train crew though.

Chumba

SWR don’t supply hotels routinely, although they do have a budget for it depending on the role and location etc. I’ve never known them arrange accommodation for trainee train crew though.

can only comment on SWR, no hotel accommodation on guards course at Basingstoke, expected to travel (free) daily. Also expected to get yourself to a depot or other location if required to during initial training

Stigy

Established Member
can only comment on SWR, no hotel accommodation on guards course at Basingstoke, expected to travel (free) daily. Also expected to get yourself to a depot or other location if required to during initial training
This could be a real trek if you’re going to be based at Waterloo (or any London Depot I guess?) as you could live in Kent/Sussex etc and be within an hour of say Waterloo, but certainly not Basingstoke. I guess in those circumstances temporarily relocating would be an idea?

When I was at SWR, we sent people to Stratford for training and we supplied accommodation, which is how I know there’s a budget for it (although it wasn’t a lot of staff as it was a small grade).

mmh

Established Member
This could be a real trek if you’re going to be based at Waterloo (or any London Depot I guess?) as you could live in Kent/Sussex etc and be within an hour of say Waterloo, but certainly not Basingstoke. I guess in those circumstances temporarily relocating would be an idea?

When I was at SWR, we sent people to Stratford for training and we supplied accommodation, which is how I know there’s a budget for it (although it wasn’t a lot of staff as it was a small grade).

It's only 45 mins from Waterloo to Basingstoke, so relocating seems a bit extreme!

Stigy

Established Member
It's only 45 mins from Waterloo to Basingstoke, so relocating seems a bit extreme!
It is, but that’s not what I’m saying. You could LIVE up to an hour away from Waterloo (say to the north of London), meaning it takes that hour to get to Waterloo, being your Home Depot. So all of a sudden the 45 mins is actually 1hr 46m.

Or if you live in Weymouth (probably a better example as it’s a far long journey in itself), you might take 45 mins getting to Weymouth before you even start the trek to Basingstoke.

craigybagel

Established Member
TfW training centres are currently at Cardiff and Chester, with Sims in both locations (although the Cardiff sims are in a different building to the training centre). The facilities in Chester may well be moving to Wrexham in the next few years.

S-Car-Go

Does anyone know where the training centres are for some of the biggest TOCs? Maybe we could curate a list if there isn't one already.

I'm mainly interested in West Midlands - for those based in Bletchley :)
Bletchley driver training is done in 3 locations.
1st week induction and simulator work is in Birmingham. Classroom work is split between Northampton and Bletchley. If you need any more info @James71 message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.