• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainline Off Peak Ticket Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have been asked by some family friends who seem to have 3 Crewe to Stockport Off Peak Day Return TFW RS ONLY tickets for help with their journey home. The three tickets are contained within one of their Trainline apps.

They aren't willing to wait until the 1839 service and want to take the next one at 1639 or their preferred service at 1739.

The Off Peak Day Return doesn't allow travel at that time of day. How can this be regularised? Will the staff at Stockport issue a paper excess ticket? Trainline's app doesn't nominate any return service. It doesn't appear to me to have any way for them to amend their tickets at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
The unrestricted day return (Transport for Wales only) costs £10.40 so I would have thought an excess to that would be appropriate, their fares purchased cost £8.30 so that's an additional £2.10 each. That might be too simple but I hope not! Ask to pay extra at the station or, if advised by them, on the train.

I should perhaps add that you can't amend a mobile ticket but its terms and conditions are the same as a paper ticket, and for either an excess ticket can be bought prior to travel and should be bought from the station.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm not sure whether Stockport know how to or are willing to do excesses on mobile tickets. Piccadilly certainly do and I've had no trouble before with them excessing something for me.

If all else fails, I'm sure you're afforded the right to do the excess on board regardless.

Starmill

Veteran Member
From what they report back it sounds like they have simply been told they may travel on that service with their tickets.

mmh

Established Member
I was just about to recommend that. I've never encountered a jobsworthy TFW/ATW guard. My experience is if you ask for an excess (I prefer to say "can I pay the extra," it feels less like I'm telling them their job), unless it's a massive change in destination they'll just say not to worry about it.

kevconnor

TFW staff aren't normally the problem, but I know at Piccadilly the gateline staff can be the problem. Since WMT introduced their WMR/TfW only off-peak fare to Manchester - Euston I have used it a few times, the guards on TfW are fine with this ticket but the oxygen thieves at Piccadilly need to be educated about it every time. I've taken to printing off the itinerary or having it available on my phone or tablet to show I am not looking to get an Aventi/VTWC service and getting on a TfW service is what I need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.