• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainline readies barcode season tickets (sTickets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfollows

Established Member
RAIL 957 May 18 to May 31 pp. 12&13
Trainline has launched its new sTicket product that provides passengers with digital barcode season tickets for the first time. Following a successful trial with Govia Thameslink Railway, the sTicket is due to gain full industry accreditation from the Rail Delivery Group later this month (May), paving the way for a full rollout across the entire network.

Announced at RAIL's National Rail Recovery Conference on May 4, the sTicket works by issuing a series of time-limited, single-journey barcodes that regularly refresh from a secure central server.

These barcodes cannot be copied or transferred between devices, thereby avoiding a long-standing concern that high-value barcode season tickets could be targeted to defraud the industry.

For passengers, this will potentially mean a quicker way to buy a season ticket and deliver it to their phone. Trainline says the new product can be fulfilled immediately before travel, with no need to queue to collect the ticket or to carry a separate physical card.

Even though barcode ticketing is currently only available for daily tickets, the independent rail retailer reports that it has proven popular with passengers.

Following the launch of the first mobile barcode tickets in 2011, more than 40% of National Rail revenue is now said to be fulfilled by barcode technology - more than any other fulfilment type, including traditional orange tickets with magnetic stripes.

Meanwhile, more than 90% of Trainline’s own customers select a barcode ticket when given the option.

From a train operating company perspective, deploying sTickets is intended to simplify revenue protection and prevent fraud. Anonymous data gathered from passengers could also help operators to better understand how season ticket holders are travelling in the post-pandemic environment.

Speaking at the NRRC, Trainline’s Vice-President of Industry Relations John Davies argued that innovations such as the sTicket would play a crucial role in helping commuter traffic return to pre-pandemic levels.

Currently standing at less than 60%, its recovery has been sluggish compared with the leisure market, which is now thought to have returned to pre-March 2020 levels.

Once sTickets receive full RDG accreditation, Davies pledged to support train operators to offer the technology through their own retailing platforms, regardless of whether these are supplied by Trainline or by other providers.

“As an industry, we need to work collaboratively to meet the challenge of digitising season tickets, to deliver a richer, higher-quality ticketing experience for commuters and regular travellers and help encourage this key segment to return to rail,” he said.

“Developed as an industry standard, the sTicket has been successfully trialled on selected GTR routes in recent months. Both the technology and the customer proposition are now proven. sTicket is ready for rollout across the national network right now.

“We will be retailing sTicket through our app and website, but this is far from being a Trainline-only product. We have collaborated closely with the RDG in its development and together we want to encourage all operators to accept Seasons issued to sTicket across the whole network.”

Davies concluded:

“Fundamentally, Trainline wants to work in partnership with the industry to ensure that sTicket is a success, because it is in the interests of our customers - and therefore the collective interest of the industry - that we break down the barriers to commuters returning.”

I'm sure I'll understand what this means when I have read it for the twenty-third time or so, and I definitely don't want to have any sort of "ticketing experience" thank you very much, but I'm sure it means something and there has been conjecture on other threads about what a "s-ticket" might be, so I hope this post is interesting and informative. If anyone reading this can re-write it in understandable English that'd be very helpful!

Attachments

• s-ticket.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
RAIL 957 May 18 to May 31.
PDF attached, I will upload the OCR text in due course.
S-tickets are just rebadged m-tickets for seasons, with all of the concomitant disadvantages and problems (such as being ticketless, and hence liable to prosecution, if your phone runs out of battery or crashes). The idea of barcode ticketing for seasons is hardly new; fully fledged e-ticket seasons have been offered by Avanti and other TOCs for some years now. Smartcard seasons have been around for even longer.

Trainline's VP of Industry Relations can argue all he wants that s-tickets are an "innovation" and will "play a crucial role" in returning commuter numbers to pre-Covid levels. But making s-tickets available is not going to convince anyone to choose to commute vs working from home, or to choose the train vs the car/bus. Nobody is going to go "they've released m-tickets for seasons, you know what, I'll start commuting now!" :rolleyes:

The cost, journey time and frequency are going to be much more important factors; generally speaking, these are all very unattractive, which is why only a small percentage of the population (predominantly around London) commute by train.

The current fulfilment methods are perfectly adequate. In summary, this seems to be a completely pointless "innovation".

jfollows

Established Member
Yes, thanks Watershed, I thought it was a lot of hype over substance. I mean, if they said that because they're cheaper to operate than traditional season tickets and they get a lot of free tracking data which they couldn't otherwise get they would therefore reduce the price of s-tickets by 5% from traditional season tickets, then maybe they'd be something useful to some people, but I was unimpressed (as you can see) by the idea of having a better "ticketing experience" and not much else. Mind you, not that I'm personally in the market for a season ticket.

_toommm_

Established Member
I note that they’re not transferable, so will the season ticket be essentially an m-ticket for seasons, with all the disadvantages of an m-ticket (locked to one device, one app etc.)?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, thanks Watershed, I thought it was a lot of hype over substance. I mean, if they said that because they're cheaper to operate than traditional season tickets and they get a lot of free tracking data which they couldn't otherwise get they would therefore reduce the price of s-tickets by 5% from traditional season tickets, then maybe they'd be something useful to some people, but I was unimpressed (as you can see) by the idea of having a better "ticketing experience" and not much else. Mind you, not that I'm personally in the market for a season ticket.
If I were in the market for a barcode season I would go for an e-ticket and carry a printed copy, as a backup to the one on my phone. But I would far sooner go for a smartcard season due to the ease of opening the barriers, without having to faff around with positioning it correctly on the scanner or increasing my screen brightness.

Effectively the only 'advantage' here seems to be for the TOCs, as they can track the usage of season tickets in a more granular manner and thus identify potential fare evaders (particularly those who "donut"). An honest advert would hardly make for great marketing! :lol:

The comments around eliminating the possibility of sharing seasons seem utterly bizarre to me. This risk already theoretically exists with e-tickets, which can forwarded onto others at the touch of a button. But just as in that case, the scan history will make it very difficult for two people to use the same ticket without being caught. If this is to be touted as a technological success then I would have expected them to say how their advanced AI takes into account train running information to work out whether a particular set of scans is plausible, or means that a ticket is likely to have been shared.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh dear, M-tickets again. Sounds like a right mess only marginally better than the well-documented carnet biro smudge issues.

I'd have thought that detecting fraud on a barcoded e-ticket style season would be fairly easy in that you could run searches against the scan database to see if any impossible journeys were being made, and send the usual letters out when they are. You could get issues with them being passed around, but two options there - allow transfer (as many bus companies do), or require photo ID of the purchaser's choice to be carried, including the option of a traditional railway photocard if you don't have anything else (but 90%+ of adult users will have either a driving licence, an ENCTS or a Railcard) with the name being added to the encoding if it's not already there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Seems a total waste of money to me to solve a problem that is already solved by ITSO
You seemed more positive last year, was this the same thing?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Several train operators will either push you into paying hundreds of pounds in a settlement, or attempt to use criminal sanctions against you, if you use on of these tickets and, say, drop your phone resulting in it breaking on the way to work. It's not a theoretical point, it's a common occurrence for people to have these laws unjustly used against them. I don't see why anyone would want to take the risk when better media have existed for years. You could even have both a card and your phone with Itso Mobile.

So dead phone partway through a journey = too bad, so sad?
Yes. At best you buy a new ticket at full price. No getting a new phone mid-ticket either.

jfollows

Established Member
I did see the 'cannot be copied or transferred between devices'. Would they really make it that changing phone means losing the remaining validity of a season ticket ?
Although I posted the original article, let me be clear that I have no more knowledge than you do here, I just posted something I came across.
My guess would be that a new "lost or stolen season ticket" process would be required for this, akin to the existing one for paper season tickets. (https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/season-conditions.aspx)
Lost or stolen Season Tickets or photocards
8.1.If you lose your Season Ticket or it is stolen, report this immediately to the retailer from whom you bought it. If you or we cannot recover the lost or stolen ticket, we will then consider an application for a Duplicate Season Ticket, if the original Season Ticket was valid for a period of one month or more. We do not issue Duplicates in respect of lost or stolen 7-Day Season Tickets or Flexi Season tickets. We may ask you or others for information. There is an administration charge when we issue a Duplicate Season Ticket
8.2.We will refund (with no administration charge) the cost of tickets you buy while you are waiting for the Duplicate Season Ticket to be issued, if you hand these tickets in.
8.3.If you lose your photocard or it is stolen, we can issue a new one, for which a further passport-type photograph is required. If we need to reissue your Season Ticket, an administration charge will be made.
Please refer to National Rail Conditions of Travel; Conditions 39.1, 39.2, 39.3 & 39.4 for further details.
Unsurprisingly, this goes on to say (this is all existing terms and conditions)
9.Requirement to Show Season Tickets (including dead battery on a mobile device) - Damaged or defective Season Tickets
9.1.You must always hold a valid ticket to travel and it must be readable by rail staff and validators.
9.2.If you are unable to show a valid and readable ticket, you will be treated the same as any other customer unable to provide a ticket and in line with the train company’s ticketless travel policy, which may include the issuing of a Penalty Fare.
9.3.If your valid Season Ticket is damaged, illegible or defective, for example it will no longer work in ticket gates, it will be replaced by the retailer from whom it was purchased, provided the retailer which sold it can confirm the ticket is still valid.
9.4.Where your Season Ticket is held on a defective smartcard (e.g. damaged or unreadable smartcard), you must contact the train operator or retailer that issued the smartcard to report your smartcard as damaged.
9.5.If your Season Ticket is held on a mobile device, you are responsible for ensuring that your Season Ticket can be scanned and your device has enough battery for the duration of your journey.
Personally, I won't have anything to do with non-paper season tickets (unlikely that I'll ever buy one now), non-paper all-line rovers or indeed any type of rover, or non-plastic railcards. I recognise, however, that there is probably growing acceptance and demand for this kind of thing. I just feel the scope for problems increases vastly with them.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
You seemed more positive last year, was this the same thing?
I’ve spent the last year more involved in Smart Ticketing

Randomer

I just don't see the point in this at all, I understand they want a system that wasn't reliant on ITSO even if a smartcard is a much better idea.

However I can't see why couldn't it be based on the current e-ticket system but with mandatory scanning at check in and check out as with smartcards? It would prevent multiple persons using it at once as the system could see if it had been scanned in but not out. Yes there is a possibility of multiple people using the ticket back and forth but that would be fairly easy to detect with all the travel data recorded e.g. a ticket could be automatically flagged up if two journeys that was impossible to do in the time concerned happened or multiple one way journeys in a day happened without any returns.

Perhaps the personation issues could also be lessoned by having seasons tied to a picture taken on the smartphone and linked to the ticket in the database or tied to a virtual season photocard. Usable on any format, reduces need for photocards to be issued and thus costs.

Yes it would limit it to stations with ticket scanners or barriers but how many places are large season flows without either of them? Especially if it was mandated that any future ticket vending machines were also usable as scanners if they are to continue to exist. Perhaps it would be possible to check-in with the ticket on an app at stations with no barriers or scanners but have the ticket itself act as an e-ticket not then reliant on the phone and backend?

It seems like the industry, or Trainline specifically, have gone for the minimum effort and most liability on the customer approach rather than a truly innovative system.

Like M-Tickets I will certainly not be considering the S-Ticket as implemented without reforms to how the legal system deals with railway ticketing matters. It transfers all the liability to the passenger which we have seem multiple times to be a poor idea (e.g. the railcard app failures and m-tickets validity wrongly ending early on the trainline app as seen here.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think that's all overkill. The name encoded in the barcode (do current e-ticket seasons do that?) and a requirement to carry a piece of Government ID (or a Railcard or railway photocard) would seem to make them not really any less secure than existing paper seasons, plus the ability to analyse scans to prove misdoing if e.g. two scans show an impossible pair of journeys that proves it has been copied.

If annuals are felt to be a specific problem, just do it by sending a new e-ticket each month, or even better abandon annuals entirely in favour of monthly direct debits with month 11 and 12 free if you get there (as per Council Tax).

This is a solution looking for a problem, and an awful solution at that. Wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

PeterC

Established Member
Having retired it is no longer an issue for me but theidea of linking a season ticket to a specific phone would put me off. While I have never had an issue with a phone in mid journey I certainly have had them.

I still have my original oyster card but since it was issued I have twice replaced my phone out of necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.