• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainpal - “no trains available”

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I’m trying to gauge pricing for July/August for Kings Cross to Inverness returns but I am getting a nil response.

The only tickets are a max of about ten days ahead.

Giving a price of approx £370 for two standard returns!

Help please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Advances are only being released on short horizons because nobody knows what timetable will run that far in advance, so the only option will be to book nearer the time, I'm afraid.

superjohn

Advances are only being released on short horizons...
Very short indeed. I’m currently looking to travel from Ipswich to Liverpool Street next Thursday. There are currently no passenger trains at all scheduled before the 2043 on the GEML south of Ipswich from Monday next week. Try doing a RTT search at Colchester for any daytime next week, the only things showing are Freightliners.

I am attending Moorfields Eye Hospital so I would really rather not drive. The treatment means I can’t drive for up to twelve hours afterwards so I would have to get a hotel in London. I’ll just have to pay for a walk up on the day if need be.

westv

Established Member
LNER website isn't offering any tickets past 3/7 at the moment.

philthetube

Established Member
In your circumstances I would contact their customer services and ask if they could make any suggestions, with your email send a image of your appointment, you never know you might get lucky and find someone who can help you out, regardless it won't cost you anything.

Veteran Member
Oh dear thanks. Unless they expand that window we will be driving
You can normally get a good idea of the Advance price by looking at the fare for a few days ahead - but it seems that Advance fares to/from Inverness are not being sold ATM, and only limited numbers to/from Edinburgh, presumably because trains are limited currently to less than 20% capacity.

In this case, though, a Super Offpeak Return at £120-odd each (with a Two Together Railcard at £30) works out at roughly 10p/mile each, which IMO is a bargain. You'd have to forgo coming home on the Highland Chieftain though because of the 0930 restriction.

Very short indeed. I’m currently looking to travel from Ipswich to Liverpool Street next Thursday. There are currently no passenger trains at all scheduled before the 2043 on the GEML south of Ipswich from Monday next week.
Try tomorrow or Friday, that's when the times seem to be uploaded, and any Advances with them.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You'd have to forgo coming home on the Highland Chieftain though because of the 0930 restriction.

Apart from Saturdays or Sundays when the 0930 restriction doesn't apply of course ;)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
You can normally get a good idea of the Advance price by looking at the fare for a few days ahead -

In my experience there are multiple buckets of advance available, it feels like there is just one advance fare if there is such short notice? Otherwise they wouldn’t sell enough at a higher rate?

CW2

Established Member
In the current circumstances, why would the TOCs offer Advance fares anyway. Capacity is limited, demand is limited. It is in their best interests to charge the highest fares possible. So @VauxhallandI I wouldn't hold out any hope for a last-minute bargain. You'll probably end up paying full fare.

bkhtele

The caledonian sleeper appears to be running Euston to Inverness single 2 people in a classic berth £95, 7th July. Or £205 11th August Dont know if there are any special travel rules in place.

Haywain

Veteran Member
At present LNER are not running to Inverness due to the lack of hotels for the crew who lodge overnight.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At present LNER are not running to Inverness due to the lack of hotels for the crew who lodge overnight.

Really? Hotels are allowed to open for "key workers" which they clearly are. Same with Airbnb who might make more sense with the restaurants all shut!

Moot in 2 weeks' time though.

_toommm_

Established Member
There are rumours that the normal timetable will be brought back on the 4th July/that the government will push for a normal timetable to be back by 4th July. Before deciding, I'd wait until then to see what happens.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
There are rumours that the normal timetable will be brought back on the 4th July/that the government will push for a normal timetable to be back by 4th July. Before deciding, I'd wait until then to see what happens.

Top tip thanks.

I looked at car hire in Inverness should a flight be deemed appropriate. Unfortunately the price of that is prohibitive; why people are so keen on holidays on this island I will never know.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
In the current circumstances, why would the TOCs offer Advance fares anyway. Capacity is limited, demand is limited. It is in their best interests to charge the highest fares possible. So @VauxhallandI I wouldn't hold out any hope for a last-minute bargain. You'll probably end up paying full fare.

Indeed you don’t get last minute value on our railways

superjohn

Timetables for my Ipswich to London journey have now been confirmed. £16 each way advance firsts duly bagged.

FQTV

Maybe they don't think it's worth opening for three or four people.

There are hotels that are open. Holiday Inn Express and Pentahotel to name just two.

Maybe it’s more that LNER doesn’t think it’s worth operating.

There again, with GWR selling Advances through to mid September and Transpennine Express into October, maybe there are specific reasons why it’s not worth operating.

Haywain

Veteran Member
There are hotels that are open. Holiday Inn Express and Pentahotel to name just two.

Maybe it’s more that LNER doesn’t think it’s worth operating.
Maybe the hotel(s) that can be used are specified in agreements with unions, and have to be within a specified distance of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.