• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains at Spiez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evening All,

I've now put a short slide show of trains at Spiez in Switzerland on my YouTube channel. If you'd like to have a look, here's the link:

Hope they're of interest,

Ron.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Thanks, enjoyed that. Used to stay at a small hotel overlooking the lake on my first trips to Switzerland. Only drawback was the walk up the hill in the morning but a lovely spot to base yourself.

Last edited:

elbows47

Very nice video, thanks
I also have stayed at Spiez and thoroughly like the location. I first stayed there in 1983 at the Bahnhof Terminus hotel directly across the road from the station - perfect position. It was very traditional, but had a modern extension for the dining room which had an excellent view of the lake. Pity it was then demolished and I then had to go down the hill to I think Hotel Crone, still only 100 yards away but uphill!. The station itself has now been modernised and has excellent facilities. To me Spiez is my favourite place to stay in Switzerland, outside of Bern. When first there, there was normally a rake of peak-hour-extra light steel coaches from pre-war, I think. Sadly on a later visit, a similar row was there completely burnt out, the only time I have seen such in Switzerland aside from a burnt-out Rhaetian coach at Scuol Tarasp.

Romsey

Thanks for sharing. Spiez has changed a lot over the years. We stayed there 35 years ago when the signalling was controlled from a local power box, not the regional control centre and the last few BLS Re 4/4's has only been delivered a few years before.
We stayed at a gastof out on the road towards Thun and had this superb view from our room. Interworking between SBB and BLS was only just starting, so SBB locos were in the minority. C2393 BLS Re4.4 Spiez 15 Sept 1986.jpgC2348 SBB 11242 Spiez 13 Sept 1986 (2).jpg

Returning to Switzerland 8 years ago it was surprising how much had changed and seemed to be encased in concrete, with even minor country stations being modernised. ( Actually Austria is worse for station buildings which look line bombproof bunkers.)

Thanks for sharing. Spiez has changed a lot over the years. We stayed there 35 years ago when the signalling was controlled from a local power box, not the regional control centre and the last few BLS Re 4/4's has only been delivered a few years before.
We stayed at a gastof out on the road towards Thun and had this superb view from our room. Interworking between SBB and BLS was only just starting, so SBB locos were in the minority. View attachment 94155View attachment 94156

Returning to Switzerland 8 years ago it was surprising how much had changed and seemed to be encased in concrete, with even minor country stations being modernised. ( Actually Austria is worse for station buildings which look line bombproof bunkers.)

The Swiss do seem to love their concrete! There are always enormous cranes working on building sites to be seen wherever you go; we keep saying that Switzerland isn't finished yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.