• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains cancelled at short notice from Liverpool Lime Street this evening (04/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Absolute disgrace. Northern started cancelling trains at short notice. The boards said rail replacement buses were outside. Two buses were outside, one driver was saying he wasn't going to West Allerton. I saw other people getting on the other bus that I recognised. I asked the driver if he was going to West Allerton or Mossley Hill and he kept saying "Yes, St Helens". I dragged off the passengers I recognised and then went to the enquiry desk near the new platform 6 at Lime Street. The guy there told me he didn't care and wanted nothing to do with it. Northern Staff were at the other end of the station (They weren't). He basically gave me the finger. The whole thing was a joke.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...went to the enquiry desk near the new platform 6 at Lime Street. The guy there told me he didn't care and wanted nothing to do with it....
Was that person Northern or Network Rail?

Unfortunately I know of many people who have been given similar treatment.

fowler9

Established Member
Was that person Northern or Network Rail?

Unfortunately I know of many people who have been given similar treatment.
Pretty sure he was Network Rail. I was fine with him, it really wasn't his fault. But surprised at his less than helpful response.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If it were me I’d claim delay repay and make a complaint in two separate emails.

Not that you’ll get a relevant response, mind you.

Eric

It was the England v New Zealand Rugby game also and people forced to crush onto inadequate trains. Why weren’t services strengthened when they knew the game was at Anfield? Appalling behaviour from Northern.

LittleAH

It was the England v New Zealand Rugby game also and people forced to crush onto inadequate trains. Why weren’t services strengthened when they knew the game was at Anfield? Appalling behaviour from Northern.

Northern strike...

Edit: Why did I think it was Saturday today. Apologies. Yes, this should've been forseen.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Northern strike...

Edit: Why did I think it was Saturday today. Apologies. Yes, this should've been forseen.
Well it was from the point of view that a significant number of trains were cancelled in advance due to a traincrew shortage. A whole day and a half of notice for that too as long as you checked the website.

B&I

Established Member
There was also a major fireworks display on the river which would have prompted a lot of demand for Northern services from those not well-enough informed to know that Northern runs an even more pathetic service to Liverpool than it runs most other days.

And Northern wonder why their financial performance is going so badly. Could it be anything at all, I wonder, to do with their continual disorganisation, and complete, open contempt for anyone forced to use their services ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Other TOCs do plan for events. Yes there may be a limit to what they can do, but they do at least try.

There was once a time when the old Northern franchise hired in extra stock to cope with events.

EMT even cancelled the service on a branch line a week or two ago to provide extra capacity into Liverpool. I know not everyone will agree with that, but if they had not done this, it would have been chaos, and it was the 'least bad' option and they did the best they could given the circumstances.

Yet Northern frequently seem to do nothing.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Other TOCs do plan for events. Yes there may be a limit to what they can do, but they do at least try.

There was once a time when the old Northern franchise hired in extra stock to cope with events.

Yet Northern frequently seem to do nothing.

I agree that there should be more done if possible. The problem is it isnt as easy as many posters are prepared to acknowledge. This is merely another example of what looks, on the surface, to be an own goal by Northern. However to suggest that trains or staff, especially staff with low morale who are asked to work extra hours to deliver extra services, can be conjured at will improve services is fatuous at best. That is before we acknowledge Northern are already squealing about dire financial performance. That will hardly indue them to think about improving services at the expense of their bottom line.

The best that could be done would be to add the odd extra unit onto existing services. I wonder if they tried to do that?

EMT even cancelled the service on a branch line a week or two ago to provide extra capacity into Liverpool. I know not everyone will agree with that, but if they had not done this, it would have been chaos, and it was the 'least bad' option and they did the best they could given the circumstances.

the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - no issues with that at all, in fact it seems sensible.

fowler9

Established Member
I agree that there should be more done if possible. The problem is it isnt as easy as many posters are prepared to acknowledge. This is merely another example of what looks, on the surface, to be an own goal by Northern. However to suggest that trains or staff, especially staff with low morale who are asked to work extra hours to deliver extra services, can be conjured at will improve services is fatuous at best. That is before we acknowledge Northern are already squealing about dire financial performance. That will hardly indue them to think about improving services at the expense of their bottom line.

The best that could be done would be to add the odd extra unit onto existing services. I wonder if they tried to do that?

the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - no issues with that at all, in fact it seems sensible.
Hope I didn't give the impression I was knocking the staff, especially the front line men and women amongst whom I have friends. They have my utmost sympathy. They go to work with both hands tied behind their back. A guy I chat to in one of my local stations hadn't been told what to expect on Sunday and struggled to find out. He is someone who always goes the extra mile to give the best advice he can. I understand his predicament as I have been in similar situations in work and it shouldn't happen. Wasn't that impressed with the Network Rail guy at Lime Street who said he didn't know and frankly didn't care. The rail replacement bus drivers, what can I say. "Do you go to Mossley Hill and West Allerton?". "Yes". "West Allerton?". "Yes, St Helens". The guy just said yes to whatever you asked. He was a nice enough guy but what can you do about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.