• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains Carrying Marksmen to Shoot Rats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

In Stephen Poliakoff's new play "My City" at the Almeida Theatre a character walks through the tube tunnels at night with track cleaners ("fluffers") that she has met (as depicted in the "Heart of the Angel" documentary some years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGZJUqKt8Ls )

But reference is also made to "marksmen riding the trains at night and shooting rats". In an interview for the play's programme, Poliakoff states that this is also true.

It seems highly unlikely that this was ever done though? There are obvious health and safety considerations for staff. Plus, stray bullets are likely to cause damage to cables and insulators. And why not simply put bait traps down if rats are a problem (presumably these existed years ago as now?).

But has anyone heard of this? - I'm trying to settle an argument with my (arts graduate) partner!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As far as I'm aware, this did not happen. I've never come across a reference to this anywhere.

Barrett M95

In order to shoot rats, you would not need "bullets". A .177 air gun pellet from a 12 lb ft weapon will see off even the largest of rats at up to 30yds with ease. Probably 50yds given that there is not much in the way of crosswinds on the tube and provided the shooter has a good eye.

However it is not the most effective way of pest control in such an environment given possible damage to assets, ricochets, and of course elf n' safety concerns.

In short, it is possible, but I doubt it.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Marksmen with high powered air rifles ARE used to eliminate pigeons at certain specific locations though not down tunnels.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Marksmen with high powered air rifles ARE used to eliminate pigeons at certain specific locations though not down tunnels.

I've read of trains being tripped by pigeons and rats.

No idea whether any steps are taken to control rats, I've certainly seen them wandering round down there in the tunnels.

Pete2210

Although it's not down tunnels, nor does it concern rats, but it was rumoured that train crew on the Epping-Ongar shuttle use to take air rifles to work to bag pheasants and rabbits!

Pete

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
There was shooting underground at Baker Street - the LT Gun Club had it's home down there somewhere.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are there that many rats down there? I thought mice were more of a problem in London.

Even so, it sounds like a very inefficient way of doing things; traps, poison and sonic deterrents are much more effective for commercial properties.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The shooting I mentioned was of pigeons and not underground but at certain depots, stores, bridges where hawks were proving ineffective (and more expensive). The marksmen I observed were expert at downing pigoens in a way that they woud fall to a place they could be retrieved easily and not be left to rot in an inacessible spot.
I must admit I have rarely seen rats down the tunnels nearly always mice. Apparently in a study (commisioned by who I wonder?) it was discovered that the tunnel mice remain at their home station and don't travel along the tunnels.
There used to be one of those old coin in the slot pull the drawer out chocolate machines on the S/B Northern platform at Elephant. One night around 2 a.m. I went up to buy a bar (there being nothing on the Bakelroo platforms) only to watch as in a Hitchcock style moment dozens of mice scurried out of the machine and across the platform and down the tracks. I decided I'd have my tea without a bar of Dairy Crunch after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.