• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains in awkward places-REVISITED

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

I think we could do with another one of these. By awkward places I mean some of my past experiences:
SWT at Man Picc/Liverpool Lemon (lol) Street
Northern at Exeter St. Davids
London Midland's loaning to Northern-at Leeds and whatnot
FGW at Waterloo
Merseyrail in Scotland?
Post yours here!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pen Mill

East Coast HST power car at Exeter St Davids , subbing for X-C power car , is this what you mean ?

43290 on 13th August 2011

tempests1

Northen Spirit Maroon & Central Trains class 158's at Brighton on the Cardiff run. Centro (Regional Railways) class 150 seen at Portsmouth in 1995

Lampshade

Established Member
How can you even have a train in an 'awkward' place? It's not really awkward if it's on the track, it'd be a different story if it was in a river.

sprinterguy

Established Member
East Coast HST power car at Exeter St Davids , subbing for X-C power car , is this what you mean ?

43290 on 13th August 2011
43310 also performed a similar duty at about the same time. It gave me quite a surprise seeing it passing through Birmingham on the rear of a Crosscountry set. And of course, complete GNER HST sets have travelled down to the South West and Newquay while on hire to Crosscountry in previous summers. Conversely, an FGW HST was recently on hire to East Coast, so travelled the length of their network, and other Crosscountry summer workings in pervious years have taken Midland Mainline HSTs as far as Newcastle and Edinburgh. Plus of course more recently East Coast have taken hire of two East Midlands HST sets, one of which has now been absorbed into the EC fleet permanently.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How can you even have a train in an 'awkward' place? It's not really awkward if it's on the track, it'd be a different story if it was in a river.
Two class 31s on the North Circular then? ;)
http://www.allticketsplease.co.uk/railphotos/pictures/281088-66_medium.jpg

saracen43

In the late 70s i saw a class 26 in the middle road of the old Rugby station, to this day i have still no idea what it was doing there.

Yew

Established Member
How about the 156's that EMT have got from Northern. Must be the first time lincoln has need a Northern (ish) 156 in years

MK Tom

Established Member
Living in MK you often get bizarre EMUs coming through here on their way to/from Wolverton Works. 313s and 323s under their own power and DC units being dragged are quite common.

Silverlink's little massive problem with the 321s brought 313s to Northampton and beyond in 2004 if anyone remembers that (I do!). They looked a bit lost.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The early eighties visits by HSTs to Glasgow Queen Street were pretty "awkward" in terms of squeezing the eight carriage sets into a platform! (See first photo)

The visit of an IC225 set to the West Coast main line was fairly unusual. (Second photo)

And finally, an APT-P set at Newcastle...several years before electrification of course. ;) http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=20732

Attachments

• HST Glasgow QS.jpg
    HST Glasgow QS.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IC225 Roade.jpg
    IC225 Roade.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 124

I think we could do with another one of these. By awkward places I mean some of my past experiences:
SWT at Man Picc/Liverpool Lemon (lol) Street
Northern at Exeter St. Davids
London Midland's loaning to Northern-at Leeds and whatnot
FGW at Waterloo
Merseyrail in Scotland?
Post yours here!

Northern at Exeter? When?

I still think you need to change the title to "Trains in strange places". Why didn't you just re-open your last tread on this topic?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
During the West Coast closures back in 2004 (?) I saw a GW HST set in Manchester Piccadilly - got a nice photo on 35mm of it, will scan in eventually.

More recently just been enjoying the Centro liveried stock running in Yorkshire and the 322s on the Airedale line on which you can still make out some Scotrail branding.

ert47

Not really much of an odd place, but I've seen a South West Trains livered 455 at Selhurst Depot a while ago...

richw

Veteran Member
All sorts of out of place liveried 150/1s were getting about down here in fgw land recently.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

dubscottie

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Another forumer who needs a new dictionary.

Means 'unusual' but writes 'awkward'... :roll:

David

Established Member
How about the 156's that EMT have got from Northern. Must be the first time lincoln has need a Northern (ish) 156 in years

Not really. Northern 156s made infrequent appearences on the Yorks and Lincs tour last year, along with 150s. Strangest 1 I can remember here in Scunthorpe is a SWT 158 in the bay waiting to form the stopper to Lincoln!

This was 2009 IIRC, on a day I was travelling upto Newcastle, I very nearly took it over the TPE as well.

350desiro

There was 2x LM 170's on the BHM-LLS service a few months ago, I wouldn't call it unusual as this route used to be everyday normalities for the 170's before 350's etc. Another case in what I would say is rare but not unusual as it operated in previous years but last month an EMT HST came to Crewe on a footex.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There was 2x LM 170's on the BHM-LLS service a few months ago ...

Birmingham-LLanishen? Was that an extension to the XC service to Cadriff Central? :lol:

<Stops making jokes about three letter codes>

LIV is Liverpool Lime St ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.