• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

class387

Established Member
I'm going to be going to Tokyo for a few days as a side trip from my usual visit to Beijing this winter. As I've never been to Japan I am looking for some tips and suggestions for what to do. I have a few questions:

1. Obviously my first priority is to ride a Shinkansen out of Tokyo. However my budget is quite constrained and I don't really want to go too far, so does anyone know what the easiest and cheapest way to get a good ride is? I've researched a bit and Omiya and Shin-Yokohama seem like good ideas - can anyone elaborate on that.

2. Bullet Trains aside, what other interesting or old rolling stock is there to be sampled in the Tokyo network, preferably on the day ticket (if there is one, see #3)? Also any lines that could be considered scenic or interesting.

3. What is the best ticket to buy in Tokyo? Preferably a day ticket that balances price and the amount of lines on which you can use it on - is there a equivalent of the 'Z1-6 Day Travelcard' in London?

4. Any non-rail related things worth seeing there?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MisterT

I would recommend to take a look at https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
There are several options for subway tickets in Tokyo, including multiple day tickets.

To taste a bit of Japanese culture, a trip to Nikko with its famous shrines and temples is recommended, but be aware of not-so-small entrance fees.
For some scenic lines, go by Shinkansen to Odawara (35 minutes and ~£30 pounds one way in the Green Car/First Class) and from there take a day trip into the Hakone area: http://www.hakone-tozan.co.jp/en/
A Hakone Free Pass for two days is less than £30 when bought at Odawara station and covers all public transport in the area, including cable car and ropeway. The round course covers all types of transport, including the scenic train route and the famous black eggs: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
I would recommend to take a look at https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
There are several options for subway tickets in Tokyo, including multiple day tickets.

To taste a bit of Japanese culture, a trip to Nikko with its famous shrines and temples is recommended, but be aware of not-so-small entrance fees.
For some scenic lines, go by Shinkansen to Odawara (35 minutes and ~£30 pounds one way in the Green Car/First Class) and from there take a day trip into the Hakone area: http://www.hakone-tozan.co.jp/en/
A Hakone Free Pass for two days is less than £30 when bought at Odawara station and covers all public transport in the area, including cable car and ropeway. The round course covers all types of transport, including the scenic train route and the famous black eggs: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html
Probably won't get out to neither Hakone or Nikko this time, but I will take that into account in case I make a future, longer trip.

I'm considering buying the Toei+Tokyo Metro travelcard for most days and then the 'Free Kippu' once to cover the JR lines - is this a good idea?

Any ideas within Tokyo?

MisterT

There is plenty to see and do within Tokyo. I don't think I can recommend any specifics, as there is a lot I haven't seen yet. But the Imperial Palace is worth a visit and the nice view at the Rainbow Bridge in the evening with all of its colours is of course mandatory ;)

Trains in Tokyo aren't really special in my personal opinion. They are massive people movers and used as such (even the Shinkansen). Even most of the local trains in the Tokyo area (and other cities) have underground style seating arrangements.

About the passes: the subways are fairly cheap and a short trip in Tokyo center is usually cheaper when bought as single tickets, but you might want to pay a bit more for the convenience of a day pass.
I had a Japan Rail Pass the last time I was there, so all trains were already covered. I'm afraid I can't make a recommendation about the value of the pass including the trains.

WideRanger

I love Japanese trains. But I really wouldn't bother riding the Shinkansen for the short distances you mentioned. They won't get up to full speed (neither is either of them anything near to leaving the Tokyo metropolitan area), and I fear you will be very dissapointed. There is nothing to see in Shin-Yokohama. Omiya itself is also totally non-interesting, but you can go from there to the JR East Railway museum, which is quite good. It's always great fun to see people using the train simlulators with their own train driver's 'uniform' and kit.

The metro (both the Toei and Tokyo Metro systems) are very dull and workmanlike. Not for riding for fun. Definitely avoid in the morning rush hour or on the last train at night.

In my view, where you can get the most fun, is by riding some of the suburban systems. If travelling from Narita airport, ignore the special airport lines, and take the Keisei Main Line Limited Express, and get the Driver's eye view as you travel through the Chiba countryside and East Tokyo suburbs (for around one quarter of the price). From Haneda, ignore the overated and slow Monorail, and take the Keikyu. Again, you can sit at the the front, and see the trains hurtling along rather faster than feels safe on such a busy line. Depending on where you are staying in Tokyo, take the Yokosuka line or the Shonan-Shinjuku line to Kamakura, and get a full day of historic Japan in one day. If you want to go on some unusual trains, you can get the Enoden tram, and the Shonan Monorail (the suspended type) while you are there.

The JR Railpass never makes sense unless you are going to do some serious long-distance travelling within Japan.

If you are there for more than a few days during holiday season and will get out of Tokyo, I reccomend getting the Seishun 18 ticket. It is the hardcore way to see Japan by train. If just a few days in Tokyo, I would try to do the following:
  • Harajuku and Yoyogi Koen on a Saturday afternoon to see the various 'tribes' (if you are really fortunate, you will see the Rockers who have to be seen to be believed), and spending some time to see Meiji Jingu (one of the most famous shrines in Japan)
  • If you are curious about how the revisionist side of Japan sees the second world world, go around Yasukuni Jinja (but try to hide your horror at some of the claims you'll see made)
  • Hachiko Crossing in Shibuya in the evening
  • Go up the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building near Shinjuku for one of the best views of the city (and on a clear day, Mount Fujii)
  • Walk around the crazy malls of Odaiba (the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, and it's decidedly odd yurikamome line)
  • Asakusa, and Akihabara, if you want to go to geek central (but watch out for pickpockets)
  • Some enjoy the Yamanoto Line walk. Pretty exhasuting, but you get to see most of the interesting sights
All of the above are free (once you get there).

If there is a tournament on, it is definitely worth going to see the Sumo. Buy a standby ticket in the morning, and actually go in in the late afternoon when the real heavyweights come out. Watching the (normally very drunk) crowd is even better than the wrestlers.

Download the Japan Wifi app (from NTT) before you go - it will get you free Wifi in many places. Get to as many Ramen bars as you can (and don't pay more than about 600 yen), and conveyer sushi places (don't pay more than around 200 yen per plate). Avoid hotel resturants. Go into 100 yen shops, but think about what you are buying. Don Quihote in Shibuya is a great place to buy souvenirs and weird Japanese stuff. Don't buy electronics. If you drink alcohol, Sake is super cheap (250 yen for a 300ml jar of 'One Cup' is very effective), and Chuhai is like alcopop but more sohphisticaed, cheaper and normally stronger. Avoid Roppongi and Kabukicho like the plague, unless you want to be ripped off or catch something nasty (when people say they are 'popular with tourists', they mean a certain type of tourist). Any bar or resturant with someone outside trying to entice you in is better avoided unless you speak Japanese. Karaoke is great if you read Japanese - throughly miserable if you don't. The Disney resorts are great if that's your bag but a bit of a waste of time if it is limited.

Groningen

Established Member
No matter dull or exiting; i would enjoy the scenery and the people (and maybe more). You may (after all) never visit those countries again.

Three-Nine

Some good suggestions already; one bit I want to add is that to see certain areas of Tokyo at their insane best (like Shibuya, Akihabara or Harujuku) visit on a weekend in the early afternoon. To actually get anything done, visit on a weekday just after the shops open (varies, but usually from 10:00am - 11:00am). Some attractions close on odd weekdays instead of weekends so check before visiting.

Regards taking the "slow" trains from the airport; I'd agree the views are more interesting and it is cheaper, but if you have large luggage this can make you feel like you're "getting in the way", whereas the dedicated airport services have more suitable storage racks.

For model railway browsing, try Akihabara; although very anime-centric these days many stores are on several levels and several of the toy/model kit retailers usually have a floor dedicated to model trains. The giant Yodabashi Akiba store has a whole model railway section if you're pressed for exploring time. Also try "Tokyu Hands" in Shibuya or Shinjuku.

You can usually see a wide assortment of rolling stock just travelling around Tokyo (one advantage of the Japan Railway Pass is that it lets you enter Japanese railway station platforms at leisure in most cases if you're that way inclined); I can't help you with specific information though. The oldest stock has in general been replaced with newer stock in the Tokyo area in some cases. I think the "Times New Square" shopping complex in Shinjuku has one floor where theres an open walkway looking across one of the junctions into Shinjuku station but I may be getting mixed up with another department store there (theres a lot and they're generally huge!).

johnnychips

Established Member
Pity you haven’t time to do the Odawara and Hakone excursion as given in #2. I really enjoyed that, even though it was siling down all day.

class387

Established Member
I don't really care about the speed of the Shinkansen this time - I hust want to have been on it. A longer run will be taken if I go again and have more time, as will Hakone and Nikko.

I am intrigued by the Keikyu line, especially with what apparently are units with the Taurus music sound (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4IhpyRrmL0), so will definitely take a ride, along with the other networks. Is there a ticket that covers all the suburban lines?

Regarding the model trains - how expensive are they? :D

Three-Nine

Sorry, in my earlier post that should have been "Times Square" in Shinjuku. Could have sworn there was a "New" in it...

I can't give a real idea of prices as model trains aren't my area of interest (I was just passing through on my way to the giant robots... ) but the general impression I got is "not cheap". It does depend on what you buy, though; you can get some railway related knick-knacks for much cheaper, such as Yamanote line key-rings and the like and theres a company that does die-cast metal toy trains which you can find in toyshops and sometimes the vending booths at train stations; not greatly detailed but good as a desktop souvenir.

class387

Established Member
Sorry, in my earlier post that should have been "Times Square" in Shinjuku. Could have sworn there was a "New" in it...

I can't give a real idea of prices as model trains aren't my area of interest (I was just passing through on my way to the giant robots... ) but the general impression I got is "not cheap". It does depend on what you buy, though; you can get some railway related knick-knacks for much cheaper, such as Yamanote line key-rings and the like and theres a company that does die-cast metal toy trains which you can find in toyshops and sometimes the vending booths at train stations; not greatly detailed but good as a desktop souvenir.
I'm not particularly interested in model trains either but do like to have a railway souvenir from places I visit. The keyrings and toy trains are a great idea. Thanks!

dutchflyer

Established Member
IF you can manage to go in JPNese school holidays, there is the 5-kippu (or so-check wiki travel) which is however NOT valid on the shinkansen, but allows unlim access for 5 days (chosen in a period of 2 weeks or so) to all JR local/semi-express/metergauge trains.
stay in Youth hostels and talk with JPNese-they willl be shy and afraid-many dont speak english or are too afraid to do, but some do and can tell more ways on how to travel cheaply, find coupons for SKS etc.
A Japan Railpass for 7 days is about the cost of a normal priced SKS return Tokyo-Osaka/Kyoto, but you get all of JPN for 7 days, incl some very nice overnight buses too. Also compare and check with cost of staying in Hostels, vs using overnight trains/seated (there are very few left though!).

Status
Not open for further replies.