• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains reversing at Accrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant158

Due to the canal bridge engineering works this week no trains are running between Blackburn and Accrington. Trains from the East are terminating at Accrington. Was wondering if these trains will crossover to the Leeds bound Platform on the Burnley side of the station or is there a crossover at the Blackburn end?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Due to the canal bridge engineering works this week no trains are running between Blackburn and Accrington. Trains from the East are terminating at Accrington. Was wondering if these trains will crossover to the Leeds bound Platform on the Burnley side of the station or is there a crossover at the Blackburn end?

I’m not sure on the exact plans but there is a crossover at the Blackburn end of the station enabling trains to terminate on the Blackpool bound platform, shunt then depart from the Leeds bound platform.

driver9000

Established Member
There isn't a crossover at the Huncoat end of Accrington Station. Unless they have moved them, there is a facing and a trailing crossover at the Blackburn end of the station so trains arriving from Huncoat can reverse behind a ground signal on the Up East Lancs to access the down platform to head back towards Huncoat and Burnley.

_toommm_

Established Member
They are reversing at the crossover between Accrington and Church and Oswaldtwistle:

3DBD5587-E091-46D7-A39D-6DD38F4020A0.png

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There are crossovers both ways just west of Accrington. Unless it's changed in the last few years, one of these is controlled from Preston panel (so I presume they are using that one) and the other one is on a ground frame. East of Accrington the tight curve on the viaduct would be a bad place to put a crossover.

Aictos

Established Member
Thanks @driver9000 and @edwin_m I knew there was a crossover at Accrington but wasn't sure on the actual signalling layout itself.

I know @driver9000 has stated how they reverse coming from Leeds however if there's a line block in the Leeds direction, is it possible for trains to terminate in either platform and start back from there towards Preston?

PS If anyone does know this next question I would be grateful but when did they remove the foot crossing at the Leeds end of the station?

driver9000

Established Member
Trains coming from Preston can turn back using the signalled crossover (controlled by Preston) to head back west or they can shunt into the Up platform to start under the main aspect. As for the crossing it wasn't there 15 years ago.....

Aictos

Established Member
Trains coming from Preston can turn back using the signalled crossover (controlled by Preston) to head back west or they can shunt into the Up platform to start under the main aspect. As for the crossing it wasn't there 15 years ago.....

Ahh thank you, I remember it being there back in 1992 because any luggage or wheelchairs had to wait for the station staff to assist them across. Think the last time I was in the area was around 2014, so was curious if anyone local knew exactly when it had got lifted and why?

As to the signalling moves, thank you for explaining that - How far does Preston signal towards Leeds?

driver9000

Established Member
Preston controlled beyond Hall Royd Junction but I forget exactly where they handed over.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Preston controlled beyond Hall Royd Junction but I forget exactly where they handed over.
Preston fringed with Hebden Bridge, so presumably now with York ROC since the re-signaling. I think it goes back through Summit Tunnel towards Rochdale too. Very strange decision to include that area, and might have resulted in the Calder Valley section being totally isolated from the box controlling it, if the Copy Pit had closed as was threatened at least once.

Llama

Established Member
Preston's last signal eastbound is just before Charlestown Curve, and his first signal westbound is just before it. As you say York ROC is the next box - Halifax Workstation.

Towards Manchester, Preston fringes with Rochdale West SB which is a temporary box situated almost opposite Castleton East Jn SB.

Preston's last signal towards Manchester is at the end of Littleborough up platform, his first going the other way is on the approach to Littleborough from Smithy Bridge.

Everywhere east of Blackburn is controlled by one panel within Preston PSB - 'A' panel. Quite a large geographical area for one signaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.