• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains that Go Over the Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
traction wise, in answer to the origional question, HSTs, MK2 commuter services hauled by class 67s, the 67s also haul the MK2 and MK3 sleaper, DMU Classes 156 (not so common as used to be) 158, 170 and XC 220S/221S. Not sure what hauls the odd freight but Id guess 66s?

Drifting slightly off topic why does the Chieften go via Stirling? Always wondered.

tbtc

Veteran Member
why does the Chieften go via Stirling? Always wondered.

All Inverness services used to go via Stlrling - the service on the line from Ladybank to Perth was pretty token when I was growing up (I remember riding on a DMU that was a peak time extension of an Edinburgh commuter service into Fife - before the Fife circle was a "circle") that was one of the only services from Ladybank to Perth.

IIRC there's a really badly timed FSR service at tea time nowadays that runs from Edinburgh to Perth (via Fife) at the same time that the Chieftain runs from Edinburgh to Perth (via Stirling) - am sure Perth passengers would prefer to have the choice of one or the other but not two departing simultaneously!

Eagle

Established Member
IIRC there's a really badly timed FSR service at tea time nowadays that runs from Edinburgh to Perth (via Fife) at the same time that the Chieftain runs from Edinburgh to Perth (via Stirling) - am sure Perth passengers would prefer to have the choice of one or the other but not two departing simultaneously!

Both leave at 16.33, but the Scotrail service, which stops more, gets to Perth five minutes quicker (even with the terminus padding).

tbtc

Veteran Member
Both leave at 16.33, but the Scotrail service, which stops more, gets to Perth five minutes quicker (even with the terminus padding).

At the risk of ripping up the carefully timed FSR schedules to benefit a small number of people, I think it'd have been more use to have the FSR service to Perth running half an hour earlier/later than the Chieftain, given that there aren't many other services to Perth (generally one an hour - so two leaving at exactly the same time isn't really much benefit for Perth passengers).

(am sure most people on here would take the HST even if it takes five minutes longer!)

tbtc

Veteran Member
The trains go to places other than Perth, you know...

Yes, hence specifically mentioning Perth passengers (who will be in a minority on both services). There are plenty of other rush hour services over the Forth Bridge that could be potentially extended to Perth (instead of the 16:33) - so maintaining the same level of service to Kirkcaldy etc.

Seems like an unfortunate timing, that's all.

Murph

...or is this a trick question? OP asks what trains go over the Forth Road bridge!!

Well I guess the odd Mk1 coach on the back of a low-loader might have crawled over in the past, but I guess you'd wait a fair while to get a shot.:roll:

A long while ago (early 1990s?), some London Underground stock was seen on the Forth Road Bridge (I remember seeing it personally, unless my memory is playing tricks, which is possible given it was about 20 years ago), as there was a large refurbishment programme for it in Rosyth Dockyard (which does have its own connection to the ECML via Inverkeithing, but I think road transport was used for at least some of the moves). I'm not sure of all of the classes of stock which were taken there and back, but I believe it was at least the 1967 and 1972 tube stock and possibly the C stock as well.

Eng274

A long while ago (early 1990s?), some London Underground stock was seen on the Forth Road Bridge (I remember seeing it personally, unless my memory is playing tricks, which is possible given it was about 20 years ago), as there was a large refurbishment programme for it in Rosyth Dockyard (which does have its own connection to the ECML via Inverkeithing, but I think road transport was used for at least some of the moves). I'm not sure of all of the classes of stock which were taken there and back, but I believe it was at least the 1967 and 1972 tube stock and possibly the C stock as well.

I'm sure I heard somewhere the glasgow subway stock had some sort of refurb at Rosyth dockyard, which would explain the need for road transport (they run on a slightly narrower gauge) although tube stock seems equally feasible.

LE Greys

Established Member
I think somebody took a traction engine over the Road Bridge once, under its own power.

Status
Not open for further replies.