• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains that Go Over the Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAzTNM

Hi! Saw a news report about the unveiling of the memorial to the people who died constructing the bridge and I saw a train go over it. So, what trains go over it? Wouldn't mind getting a few shots. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fife Circle services ( Newcraighall & Glenrothes Services )

Queen Street - Kirkcaldy

Edinburgh - Perth/Dundee/Aberdeen/Inverness Services

A few East Coast services to/from Kings Cross

A couple of XC Services to/from Aberdeen/Dundee

Freight is mainly coal to/from Longannet P.S. but a selection of other things too.

caliwag

...or is this a trick question? OP asks what trains go over the Forth Road bridge!!

Well I guess the odd Mk1 coach on the back of a low-loader might have crawled over in the past, but I guess you'd wait a fair while to get a shot.:roll:

Johnuk123

Established Member
...or is this a trick question? OP asks what trains go over the Forth Road bridge!!

Well I guess the odd Mk1 coach on the back of a low-loader might have crawled over in the past, but I guess you'd wait a fair while to get a shot.:roll:

I think it was definitely a trick question.

This Queen Street to Kirkcaldy train, I've never seen it, is it one of these summer Saturday only type things. Can't see it on Scotrail website either.

Failed Unit

Established Member
This Queen Street to Kirkcaldy train, I've never seen it, is it one of these summer Saturday only type things. Can't see it on Scotrail website either.

daily, both ways (well not sunday)

1733 Glasgow queen street, route Falkirk Grahamson and dalmeny.

It is quicker to get the 1745 and change which is why it may not show.

The Kirkcaldy morning service arrives around 0845, same route.

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member

If arrives around 0845, same route.

No wonder its quicker to change if it takes around thirteen hours :p

(sorry)

scotsman

Established Member
Pretty much no freight these days! One a week from Longannet, one cement job each way per week and irregular avaiation fuel runs by Colas

The Kirkcaldy morning service arrives around 0845, same route.

What's the point in this service?

Failed Unit

Established Member
What's the point in this service?

Some people like direct services? No idea to be honest, I know people that use the service to get to fife, but most of them catch the 1745 and change at Linlithgow. It means they don't have to worry about missed connections and / or over crowding at Haymarket.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Pretty much no freight these days! One a week from Longannet, one cement job each way per week and irregular avaiation fuel runs by Colas

I could be wrong, but I thought that the northbound cement was too heavy to cross the bridge so ran via Stirling (the southbound one runs via Fife though)?

Eng274

I could be wrong, but I thought that the northbound cement was too heavy to cross the bridge so ran via Stirling (the southbound one runs via Fife though)?

I was under the impression that the only restriction was that 2 freight trains couldn't be on the bridge at the same time? Less likely to happen since the coals generally go via Kincardine nowadays.

Likewise, I could be wrong on that.

Reminds me of a yarn I read about years ago that coal trains were sprayed with a special glue-like film on top of each wagon that stopped coal falling off the top and onto North Queensferry! Suppose they had enough hassle with bits of bridge flaking off, before the recent repaint.

MCR247

Established Member
Fife Circle services ( Newcraighall & Glenrothes Services )

Queen Street - Kirkcaldy

Edinburgh - Perth/Dundee/Aberdeen/Inverness Services

A few East Coast services to/from Kings Cross

A couple of XC Services to/from Aberdeen/Dundee

Freight is mainly coal to/from Longannet P.S. but a selection of other things too.

Don't some Inverness (including the Highland Cheftian) go via Falkirk G?

tbtc

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that the only restriction was that 2 freight trains couldn't be on the bridge at the same time? Less likely to happen since the coals generally go via Kincardine nowadays.

Likewise, I could be wrong on that.

I may well be wrong (it may even be a restriction on the Tay Bridge that affects the Cement, and not the Forth)

Failed Unit

Established Member
Don't some Inverness (including the Highland Cheftian) go via Falkirk G?

Only the cheftian normally - there are some Edinburgh - Perth services, but they are really extensions of dunblane services for stock provisioning.

All other Edinburgh - Perth / Inverness would normally go via the bridge. The Glasgow - Aberdeen will use the bridge when the &@£) hits the fan.

route:oxford

Established Member
Only the cheftian normally - there are some Edinburgh - Perth services, but they are really extensions of dunblane services for stock provisioning.

All other Edinburgh - Perth / Inverness would normally go via the bridge. The Glasgow - Aberdeen will use the bridge when the &@£) hits the fan.

Have the 158s, 156s or 170s been cleared to route via Alloa in time of need?

I know a few rail tours have done the two-forth-bridges circuit.

delt1c

Established Member
Hi! Saw a news report about the unveiling of the memorial to the people who died constructing the bridge and I saw a train go over it. So, what trains go over it? Wouldn't mind getting a few shots. Thanks a lot!

No services go over the forth road bridge , what a stupid posting. what next what sevices use the QE2 bridge or how about rail services over the Thelall Viaduct on the M6. thought this as a rail forum not a road forum

mbonwick

Established Member
Very few trains go over the Forth Road Bridge, they tend to use the Rail Bridge instead.

Technically the rail bridge is simply known as the Forth Bridge...the road bridge is of course named the Forth Road Bridge.

Goodness knows what the new road crossing will be called....

route:oxford

Established Member
Technically the rail bridge is simply known as the Forth Bridge...the road bridge is of course named the Forth Road Bridge.

Goodness knows what the new road crossing will be called....

"Salmond Bridge"
"Kingdom Crosssing"

Or

Well, soon enough Scotland will achieve independence from the United Kindom - only to find that they are joining the United States of Europe instead...

So to celebrate:-

"The United States of Europe Bridge"

bAzTNM

No services go over the forth road bridge , what a stupid posting. what next what sevices use the QE2 bridge or how about rail services over the Thelall Viaduct on the M6. thought this as a rail forum not a road forum
A bit out of order? Calm down.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Out of order?
If you want to know what trains go over the Road Bridge then I would hope you are well prepared for a response like that.

If somehow you inadvertendly included the word "Road" in your question and meant "Rail" (which seems an unlikely mistake on here) then you've had several posts to remind you and perhaps lead you to edit the title to ask what you meant to ask (use "Edit" then "Advanced Options"), but as you've left it asking about the Road Bridge then I'll share delt1c's view.

scotsman

Established Member
Have the 158s, 156s or 170s been cleared to route via Alloa in time of need?

I know a few rail tours have done the two-forth-bridges circuit.

Nope, the track gets one or two trains a week and the only drivers that I know of who sign it are DB Schenker and Freightliner

Status
Not open for further replies.