• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains That Ran From Seaside To Seaside

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Hopefully the title is self explanatory. I'm guessing that there can't have been many over the years but in 1962 there was a passenger service that ran from Cleethorpes to Exmouth. Can anyone think of any more?

Thanks for reading this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Hopefully the title is self explanatory. I'm guessing that there can't have been many over the years but in 1962 there was a passenger service that ran from Cleethorpes to Exmouth. Can anyone think of any more?

Thanks for reading this.
I think there has been a thread on this before. Some that I can think of are Scarborough to Llandudno, Scarborough to Holyhead, Scarborough to Paignton. Depends if you count Newcastle, Liverpool lime street, or other places as ‘seaside’ too.

pdeaves

Established Member
Was there ever Aberystwyth-Great Yarmouth (or Lowestoft)? I know some Aberystwyth trains got as far as Norwich - I did that journey about 21 years ago!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I think there has been a thread on this before. Some that I can think of are Scarborough to Llandudno, Scarborough to Holyhead, Scarborough to Paignton. Depends if you count Newcastle, Liverpool lime street, or other places as ‘seaside’ too.
I knew that Scarborough had been a busy old place but I didn't realise that it had once had a direct service to Paignton!

For the purposes of this thread I don't consider Newcastle or Liverpool to be the seaside.

RLBH

Was there ever Aberystwyth-Great Yarmouth (or Lowestoft)? I know some Aberystwyth trains got as far as Norwich - I did that journey about 21 years ago!
Regional Railways was jocularly known as the 'Barmouth to Yarmouth Railway' at one point, though whether such a service actually ran I'm not so sure.

Veteran Member
Cleethorpes-Exmouth/Sidmouth was a short-lived variant of a Cleethorpes-Bournemouth.

There was a long-standing Brighton-Bournemouth in steam days which was recreated in the 90s by South Central (thouh the core route was London-Hove- Bournemouth - do both ends have to be a terminus to count?).

Of course Brighton still has large numbers of trains to South Coast resort termini - Hastings, Eastbourne, Littlehampton, Bognor, Portsmouth - but they aren't quite what the OP had in mind, I think.

Also a summer Saturday Portsmouth-Ilfracombe and IIRC a Sunday Littlehampton-Bournemouth excursion - and prewar Margate-Bournemouth through coaches via Guildford. Margate-Hastings ran until electrification.

Paignton or Exmouth-Ilfracombe would have been possible in 1965-70 but I'd need to check timetables.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Can't remember if there was a Brighton-Blackpool North variant in Virgin XC's Operation Princess timetable...

Killingworth

Established Member
Is the 8.20 from Aberdeen to Penzance excluded? It touches the coast with stops at a number of coastal towns, like Aberdeen and Penzance.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There are or have recently been trains between Barnstaple and Exmouth and between St Ives and Penzance.

SWTCommuter

I think there was once a morning peak service which started at Weston-super-Mare and ran through to Severn Beach.

The Weston, Clevedon and Portishead railway served three seaside towns.

Taunton

Established Member
I think there was once a morning peak service which started at Weston-super-Mare and ran through to Severn Beach.
Anyone who thinks that Severn Beach can qualify in any way as "seaside" has, I guess, never been there :)

Failed Unit

Established Member
CT did Aberystwyth - Cleethorpes on Saturday. I am sure some Aberystwyth trains also went to Skegness in the summer.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Holyhead to Fishguard Harbour? Can't remember if they have ever been directly connected.
Birkenhead Woodside-Margate in early BR days.

SWTCommuter

Anyone who thinks that Severn Beach can qualify in any way as "seaside" has, I guess, never been there :)

Lol, I know what you mean. It was never exactly glamorous but up until the 1970s it had typical seaside attractions such as holiday chalets, the Blue Lagoon swimming pool and amusements.
https://www.francisfrith.com/severn-beach/photos

Perhaps it was best immortalised by Adge Cutler in 'Aloha, Severn Beach o_O

Enthusiast

Before the Isle of Wight lost almost all of its 50-odd miles of railways by the mid 1960s virtually every route touched the "seaside" at some point. There were stations at Freshwater, Cowes, Ryde (3), Yarmouth, Bembridge, Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor (2) - that I can think of.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
CT did Aberystwyth - Cleethorpes on Saturday. I am sure some Aberystwyth trains also went to Skegness in the summer.

Pretty sure it was formed of a 170 , which started it's day as a Northampton - Birmingham and carried on going. Did not last long.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There was also a Holyhead to Fishguard for Wales and Borders for a while , along with a Pembroke - Brighton before that. Clever linking through of "regional" diagrams ....

Calthrop

Established Member
Before the Isle of Wight lost almost all of its 50-odd miles of railways by the mid 1960s virtually every route touched the "seaside" at some point. There were stations at Freshwater, Cowes, Ryde (3), Yarmouth, Bembridge, Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor (2) - that I can think of.

Being annoyingly pedantic here (but this thread is taking, in my opinion, a strict and severe line in the defining of "seaside" locations): I see something of a question-mark over whether Freshwater's station, when in operation, could legitimately rate as "seaside". It lay a little way beyond the landward end of the Western Yar estuary, which opens into the Solent at Yarmouth; and about three-quarters of a mile north of the Isle of Wight's southern coast. Present-day convention, 66 years after closure of the Newport -- Freshwater line, sees Freshwater "village" -- one of the built-up areas of this western end of the island, and which held the former Freshwater rail station -- as lying essentially, a short way inland: with the separate settlement of Freshwater Bay set to its south, and upon the small bay in the coastline, of that name.

Drifting somewhat topic-wise: not a rail route / journey, but a coast-to-coast undertaking within England which struck me as somewhat splendid when I travelled over part of its run, some years ago. This was the National Express coach route between Grimsby (perhaps not acceptable to participants in this thread as "seaside", the way neighbouring Cleethorpes is) and Westward Ho! -- I travelled by it from Birmingham to Bideford. Something which could never have been accomplished by rail: not even in the brief sixteen-year spell for which Westward Ho! was rail-served -- its line was physically isolated from the country-wide rail system.

Status
Not open for further replies.