• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains with hinged doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Were they ever removed, or did some stock just not have them? Class 101s had them until they were scrapped. I recall seeing a kid playing with one once, I shouted at him not to and the parent, if I recall rightly, gave me an earful along the lines of "oh, it won't open while we are moving", erm, yes, it will...

The Mk2D had them from new but they were removed after a series of incidents with people falling from trains. I believe the neither the Mk2E/F nor Mk3s ever had them fitted as a result of early experience with the Mk2Ds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
The Mk2D had them from new but they were removed after a series of incidents with people falling from trains. I believe the neither the Mk2E/F nor Mk3s ever had them fitted as a result of early experience with the Mk2Ds.

What did the "Tamworth Triangle" incidents involve?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Suburban stock tended to have them, but higher speed stock like the CEPs didn't.
Some CIGs certainly had internal handles in their later years on SWT. Could've sworn that at least some of the CEP/BEP units had them too, but my memory could well be tricking me. VEPs definitely had them.

MarcVD

In the 1970s people in south east Europe sometimes sat on the open doorstep to keep cool. The train was often so slow it was no less safe than riding a bicycle in the centre of a city (before the 'new normal')

I have ridden a train in Sri Lanka exactly like that, just one year ago. As you said, it's the only way to keep cool. And in the Jungle this really means something. Nice way to take cool pictures also...

Beebman

I have ridden a train in Sri Lanka exactly like that, just one year ago. As you said, it's the only way to keep cool. And in the Jungle this really means something. Nice way to take cool pictures also...

Back in August 1997 I was travelling around eastern Germany in blistering heat with temperatures up to 38C. I remember taking an IC train (with very welcome functioning a/c!) to Dresden from Berlin where for a while it ran parallel to an old S-Bahn set with manual sliding doors. All the doors were wide open with the passengers enjoying the breeze. I wish I could have taken a video of it!

Gordon

Back in August 1997 I was travelling around eastern Germany in blistering heat with temperatures up to 38C. I remember taking an IC train (with very welcome functioning a/c!) to Dresden from Berlin where for a while it ran parallel to an old S-Bahn set with manual sliding doors. All the doors were wide open with the passengers enjoying the breeze. I wish I could have taken a video of it!

Similarly you could leave the doors open on some of the older Paris 'RIB' type stock

Gordon

Some CIGs certainly had internal handles in their later years on SWT. Could've sworn that at least some of the CEP/BEP units had them too, but my memory could well be tricking me. VEPs definitely had them.

Of course Southern suburban stock often ran at just as high speeds as CIG/CEP/BEP etc. VEPs certainly had the internal handles as VEPs were essentially 'EPBs with a gangway/corridor'

Gordon

it does..............I was just trying to joke about the non-doors on some of the older MER stock, where theres nothing to stop you falling out

and it was a good joke. Some had chains I think (spent ever whitsun in Laxey for the first 17 years of my life ) but many years since I went over

JonasB

Aren't the locks on those European trains designed to activate at 5km/h? I saw a case in Berlin with a Moscow to Paris train - sliding door - where the guard had a door open briefly while pulling out.

At least in Sweden that is standard procedure on loco hauled trains. But the guard deactivates the locking mechanism at his/her door before departure.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At least in Sweden that is standard procedure on loco hauled trains. But the guard deactivates the locking mechanism at his/her door before departure.

On UIC stock, the autocloser does not operate on the door where the key was operated, and door blocking is not relevant if the door is already open, though once manually closed it could not be reopened.

scragend

It wasn't uncommon - I've seen photos of local trains (the stainless-steel RIO stock) on the Cote d'Azur with wide open doors, and I suspect it still happens further East in Europe.
Most more modern folding-door stock has central closing/locking mechanisms.

I remember travelling on such trains on the Côte d'Azur in 2002. On dispatch the doors would close automatically, but there was nothing stopping you from sliding them back open again. We used to wait until the train had just left the station though so as not to make it too obvious, although I don't think anyone cared.

Pakenhamtrain

The N sets down here still have hinged doors. Nowadays "power assisted" When the red light goes green. Push/pull the door open. Conductor turns the key and they close automatically.

The XPT is still manual. Just with a central locking system.

Status
Not open for further replies.