• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

trains with USB or mains plugs for charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
If there a definitive list anywhere of trains with USB or mains outlets for charging tech kit?
suspect this will have to be by TOC/train class and whether only available in 1st class or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alangla

All ScotRail electric stock, except the 314s and last few unrefurbished 320/3s have 240v outlets, though most of the 318s & 320s have them “temporarily” plated over

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'll do a few TOCs.

Virgin Trains:
Standard Class: plug socket available on window table seats on Pendolinos, and at all window seats on Super Voyagers
First Class: plug socket available at all window seats on Pendolinos and Super Voyagers

CrossCountry:
Standard Class: plug socket available at window seats on Voyagers, Super Voyagers and HSTs. Nothing on Turbostars.
First Class: plug socket available at window seats on Turbostars.

Chiltern Railways (Standard Class only): plug socket available on window seats on Class 168 trains and Mark III sets. Nothing on Class 165s or 172s.

London Northwestern Railway:
Standard Class: plug socket available on window table seats on Class 350/3s. Cleaner's plug socket available on carriage-end seats on all Class 350s. Nothing on other stock.
First Class: plug socket available on window seats on all Class 350s. Nothing on other stock.

West Midlands Railway (Standard Class only): same as above where Class 350s are used. Nothing on 323s, Turbostars, 172s, 150s or 153s.

TransPennine Express:
Standard Class: plug socket and USB socket available on window seats on Class 185s and 350/4s. Nothing (I think) on the Class 170.
First Class: plug socket and USB socket available on window seats on Class 185s and 350/4s.

Merseyrail (Standard Class only): nothing.

route:oxford

Established Member
All ScotRail electric stock, except the 314s and last few unrefurbished 320/3s have 240v outlets, though most of the 318s & 320s have them “temporarily” plated over

Where are the sockets on the 365s?

Ken H

On Moderation
I'll do a few TOCs.

Virgin Trains:
Standard Class: plug socket available on window table seats on Pendolinos, and at all window seats on Super Voyagers
First Class: plug socket available at all window seats on Pendolinos and Super Voyagers

CrossCountry:
Standard Class: plug socket available at window seats on Voyagers, Super Voyagers and HSTs. Nothing on Turbostars.

Chiltern Railways (Standard Class only): plug socket available on window seats on Class 168 trains and Mark III sets. Nothing on Class 165s or 172s.

Standard Class: plug socket available on window table seats on Class 350/3s. Cleaner's plug socket available on carriage-end seats on all Class 350s. Nothing on other stock.
First Class: plug socket available on window seats on all Class 350s. Nothing on other stock.

West Midlands Railway (Standard Class only): same as above where Class 350s are used. Nothing on 323s, Turbostars, 172s, 150s or 153s.

TransPennine Express:
Standard Class: plug socket and USB socket available on window seats on Class 185s and 350/4s. Nothing (I think) on the Class 170.
First Class: plug socket and USB socket available on window seats on Class 185s and 350/4s.

thanks

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Northern 170s hired to TPE have 3-pin and USB, one per pair of seats whether refurbished or still in Scotrail guise. Those with first class have 1per seat in that section.

choochoochoo

Established Member
TL/GN
700 - First Class - one per pair of seats
717 - Standard - one per pair of seats
I think the 387s have a socket, but I've not been on one in a while

And 365/313s - I have seen passengers use the 'unofficial' sockets that are supposed to be used only by cleaners.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
TL/GN
700 - First Class - one per pair of seats
717 - Standard - one per pair of seats
I think the 387s have a socket, but I've not been on one in a while

And 365/313s - I have seen passengers use the 'unofficial' sockets that are supposed to be used only by cleaners.

Yes, 387s have one per pair of seats throughout.

route101

Established Member
I'll do a few TOCs.

Virgin Trains:

CrossCountry:

TransPennine Express:

Dont remember them on TPE 350S?

TFN

GWR 387s, one on every row of seats
SWR 707s, one per pair of seats

Esker-pades

Established Member
ScotRail (Standard Only):

Class 43 & MK3s: 1 plug per two seats
Mark 2 Coach: None
Class 156 (Unrefurbished): None
Class 156 (Refurbished): One plug per two seats
Class 158 (Inverness): Generally alternates between a plug or two USB ports per two seats. However, there are more USB pairs than sockets.
Class 158 (Not Inverness): None
Class 170 (Unrefurbished): None
Class 170 (Refusbished): One plug per two seats
Class 314: None
Class 318: "Temporarily" plated over
Class 320: "Temporarily" plated over
Class 334: One plug per two seats
Class 365: None
Class 380: One plug per two seats (table only)
Class 385: One plug per two seats (between the seats)

anamyd

On Moderation
Transport for Wales:

All 24 of their 158s (818-841) - 3-pin only and at tables (two single plates per bay / 1 per 2 seats) and a double plate in the wheelchair space, but none in "airline" bays (for now)
All 3 of their Mk3 rakes - I think 3-pin only and at tables (two single plates per bay / 1 per 2 seats) and possibly a double plate in the wheelchair space, but none in "airline" bays (confirmation needed!)

2 of their 150s so far (284 and 285) - 3-pin and twin USB per single plate (confirmation of positioning required but said to have plates in airline bays not just table bays)

Their remaining 34 150s - nothing yet but being fitted alongside PRM mods
All 27 175s - nothing yet but supposedly about to be fitted
All 8 of their 153s - nothing yet but would be fitted alongside PRM mods supposedly happening

(all the above will be fitted to the standard of the existing two 150s that have been done; the 158s may even be re-done but not the Mk3s are they're being replaced much sooner than everything else)

All 15 of their 142s - nothing ever
All 15 of their 143s - nothing ever

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
Caledonian Sleeper have USB sockets in some (most?) of the rooms on the Mk3s. I can't remember if they have them on some Mk2 lounge cars too. The new trains (Mk5) have them all over.

LNER's Mk3 and Mk4 sets have plugs at window seats, with the exception of the buffet car (H on a Mk4 formation and J on a Mk3 formation)

Aictos

Established Member
I'll do a few TOCs.

Standard Class: Cleaner's plug socket available on carriage-end seats on all Class 350s.

Just to point out that these are not surge protected as the other power sockets that are actually available are, so feel free to expose your electrics to 25kV of electricity, there's a reason why they're labelled NOT FOR PUBLIC USE.

So I don't recommend using them so tad irresponsible to include them here.

LeeLivery

Established Member
I was pleasantly surprised to find sockets and USBs on GWR 158 and 166 yesterday. One for two seats.

cjp

I think I prefer real sockets to USB although it means having to carry a charger, the plus side being my high power charger really is more effective. I carry a charger and a lead for the best of both worlds. Socket are also good for laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.