• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainsCanBeCheaper - New Booking Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If I put in the journey I did today Rye to Ivybridge for next Sat- Southeastern's website comes up with the obvious route via St Pancras and Paddington. Trains can be cheaper uses the same super off peak fare but sends me via Brighton, Clapham Junction, Exeter St D. taking much longer I can't work out why.
Journey time appears to be the same:
http://www.fastjp.com/#journeys?orig=RYE&dest=IVY&odate=20170408&otime=1000&maxres=10&maxch=3
Rye 0956
Ashford Intl 1018

Ashford Intl 1038
London Victoria 1207

London Paddington 1300
Newton Abbot 1555

Newton Abbot 1623
Ivybridge 1652
vs
http://www.fastjp.com/#journeys?ori...:&odate=20170408&otime=0955&maxres=10&maxch=3
Rye 0956
Ashford Intl 1018

Ashford Intl 1043
London St Pancras 1121

London Paddington 1300
Newton Abbot 1555

Newton Abbot 1623
Ivybridge 1652
However I agree that going via St Pancras is preferable as you have longer to cross London, and a greater frequency of through LU trains for the transfer.

If you specify via: St Pancras, then itineraries via St Pancras are shown.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
The two options that are offered are Belfast Central and Belfast Port. Neither currently returns a result.
I tried this journey on Raileasy.co.uk and it finds results so I don't think it's the journey planner at fault. :(

sheff1

Established Member
Just tried this and the results came back with am & pm times. This seems a serious flaw which is bound to cause confusion as the GB railway has used the 24 hour clock for as long as I can remember.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Just tried this and the results came back with am & pm times. This seems a serious flaw which is bound to cause confusion as the GB railway has used the 24 hour clock for as long as I can remember.

Comments anyone? The am/pm format looked more friendly for most end-users but I have no objecting to switching everything to 24hr mode, should that be the consensus.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Comments anyone? The am/pm format looked more friendly for most end-users but I have no objecting to switching everything to 24hr mode, should that be the consensus.
If I had to pick, I'd say 24h clock. I know you're probably snowed under at the minute but an option to toggle between the two might appease everyone.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I'd put am/pm as an option if people want it, but when they get to the station the train will be advertised in 24 hour format.

You'll also get a stinging rebuke from Barry Doe as it stands ;)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It should be 24 hour format imo. The whole of the railway uses the 24 hour clock and has done for years.

FenMan

Established Member
Unsure if this is a bug or enhancement request.

Many ticketing sites don't have the ability to display services in the evening peak at Paddington where the return portion of Off Peak Tickets are valid.

An example using my home station, Blackwater:-

The itinerary below is valid for the return journey on a Blackwater - London Off Peak Day Return, Route Any Permitted:-

d. 1718 Paddington
a. 1753 Reading
-----
d. 1804 Reading
a. 1825 Blackwater

Perhaps I'm pressing the wrong buttons (I've tried "Value"), but Trains Can Be Cheaper only shows the faster connection where Off Peak tickets are not valid i.e.

d. 1730 Paddington
a. 1755 Reading
-----
d. 1804 Reading
a. 1825 Blackwater

Cheers.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Times are now all in 24hr format. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking at all the other suggestions, but please keep them coming. Please excuse me if I take a few days to respond.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I should probably also mention that you can link to journey searches using TCBC.

Here's an example:

https://trainscanbecheaper.info/default.aspx?FromStation=Ledbury&ToStation=Leeds&OutboundDate=100417&OutboundTime=08:00&InboundDate=120417&InboundTime=10:00&Adults=1&Children=0&Railcard=DIS"

You could use a URL shortener, but the forum software doesn't seem to like them :(

You can't (yet) put advanced options in, but if there was a demand, I could add them.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Is PlusBus available? I understand this might need to wait for the next phase of development!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Unsure if this is a bug or enhancement request.

Many ticketing sites don't have the ability to display services in the evening peak at Paddington where the return portion of Off Peak Tickets are valid.

An example using my home station, Blackwater:-

The itinerary below is valid for the return journey on a Blackwater - London Off Peak Day Return, Route Any Permitted:-

d. 1718 Paddington
a. 1753 Reading
-----
d. 1804 Reading
a. 1825 Blackwater

Perhaps I'm pressing the wrong buttons (I've tried "Value"), but Trains Can Be Cheaper only shows the faster connection where Off Peak tickets are not valid i.e.

d. 1730 Paddington
a. 1755 Reading
-----
d. 1804 Reading
a. 1825 Blackwater

Cheers.
According to the electronic restriction data that must be used by journey planners, neither of those itineraries are valid because restriction code W1 bans departures from Reading at 1804: see here and scroll down to the Unpublished Restrictions, return journey: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=BAW&dest=1072&tkt=CDR
You could consider complaining to GWR about this.

furlong

Established Member

And then when they ignore you and still don't fix it, the ORR as a straightforward breach of the consumer regulations, for which they should consider a prosecution.

FenMan

Established Member
According to the electronic restriction data that must be used by journey planners, neither of those itineraries are valid because restriction code W1 bans departures from Reading at 1804: see here and scroll down to the Unpublished Restrictions, return journey: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=BAW&dest=1072&tkt=CDR

Thanks. It appears that the timing restriction from Reading i.e. the 1804, is a blunt instrument, as the 1804 that goes to Blackwater definitely isn't the 1804 service to Paignton.

Returning to the original issue, that I'm unable to get trainscanbecheaper.info to display valid itineraries for the return portion of an Off Peak Day Return from Blackwater to Paddington, perhaps this a better example:-

d. 1818 Paddington
a. 1856 Reading
-----
d. 1904 Reading
a. 1925 Blackwater

So far as I can see, there are no unpublished restrictions that bar the use of this itinerary.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
d. 1818 Paddington
a. 1856 Reading
-----
d. 1904 Reading
a. 1925 Blackwater

So far as I can see, there are no unpublished restrictions that bar the use of this itinerary.
There are unfortunately; same problem again:
Not valid to depart READING 1903–1904 on any TOC

Crossover

Established Member
First visit to the page and the banner reads

Balham to
Canterbury East Or Canterbury West
single
£0.00 (20 Apr, 17:24)

I haven't actually looked beyond this but wondering where this data is coming from!

You can. Any photos you want to donate? Need to be hi res, wide and not too​ high.

Could you define hi-res? If you mean 300dpi, I won't have anything, but most web stuff uses 72dpi, which I may be able to assist with if I have anything suitable

You could use a URL shortener, but the forum software doesn't seem to like them :(

I think that's because it can hide dodgy sites behind, which you won't know about until they are clicked and it is too late

FenMan

Established Member
There are unfortunately; same problem again:

D'oh!

I'll have to ask GWR to refine the unpublished restrictions to stop this nonsense, if only to stop others from buying more expensive tickets than are needed. Fun times ahead.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has anyone else had any problems finding itineraries with this?

Or any itineraries that are found that perhaps shouldn't be (these may best discussed via PM if so!)

If I put in the journey I did today Rye to Ivybridge for next Sat- Southeastern's website comes up with the obvious route via St Pancras and Paddington. Trains can be cheaper uses the same super off peak fare but sends me via Brighton, Clapham Junction, Exeter St D. taking much longer I can't work out why.
Journey time appears to be the same:
http://www.fastjp.com/#journeys?orig=RYE&dest=IVY&odate=20170408&otime=1000&maxres=10&maxch=3
Rye 0956
Ashford Intl 1018

Ashford Intl 1038
London Victoria 1207

London Paddington 1300
Newton Abbot 1555

Newton Abbot 1623
Ivybridge 1652
vs
http://www.fastjp.com/#journeys?ori...:&odate=20170408&otime=0955&maxres=10&maxch=3
Rye 0956
Ashford Intl 1018

Ashford Intl 1043
London St Pancras 1121

London Paddington 1300
Newton Abbot 1555

Newton Abbot 1623
Ivybridge 1652
However I agree that going via St Pancras is preferable as you have longer to cross London, and a greater frequency of through LU trains for the transfer.

If you specify via: St Pancras, then itineraries via St Pancras are shown.
I note this has been changed, so a search for Rye (Sussex) to Ivybridge for Saturday departing after 0930 shows the 0956 - 1652 itinerary with a change at St Pancras/Paddington.

NajaB - I see the Belfast NI fares appear to be working too :)

najaB

Veteran Member
Has anyone else had any problems finding itineraries with this?
Not a problem so much as an oddity. I tried my Dundee-Belfast search again and it returned the expected £35 Anytime ticket, but also returned a £70 return even though I had specified a single journey.

Journey details were: DEE - BFC, 10/04/2017 0900

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Not a problem so much as an oddity. I tried my Dundee-Belfast search again and it returned the expected £35 Anytime ticket, but also returned a £70 return even though I had specified a single journey.
That seems to be because the £35 fare is an Anytime Day Single and so isn't valid on an itinerary that continues overnight. The £70 fare is an Anytime Return with outward validity 5 days, so is valid to continue the next day.

najaB

Veteran Member
That seems to be because the £35 fare is an Anytime Day Single and so isn't valid on an itinerary that continues overnight. The £70 fare is an Anytime Return with outward validity 5 days, so is valid to continue the next day.
That makes sense. Thanks.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think I know why. Will reply shortly...

Edit: yes that's it! beaten to it!

Crossover

Established Member
What may be a bug - using Firefox on Windows, I have tried to select a time and scrolling with the mouse to try move up to an earlier time, the box disappears. I have had to select the time box and then use the keyboard arrows to get the time I am after

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What may be a bug - using Firefox on Windows, I have tried to select a time and scrolling with the mouse to try move up to an earlier time, the box disappears. I have had to select the time box and then use the keyboard arrows to get the time I am after

I got the same, so not just you

infobleep

Veteran Member
When on the mobile version of the site and I select a price it comes up with a box giving route details and changes. However it disappears very quickly so I can't read it all in time.

I'm enjoying playing around with it. Good fun.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
When on the mobile version of the site and I select a price it comes up with a box giving route details and changes. However it disappears very quickly so I can't read it all in time.

I'm enjoying playing around with it. Good fun.
Yes, that's happening for me too.

Another point is that, again on mobile, a black information box appears every time for each field I tap on (eg departure station) which makes seeing what I'm typing difficult ;)

Great website though!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
The site isn't pulling up Northern Duos for a trip and wants to sell me (more expensive) advances.

Goostrey-Manchester Picc 14/4 Out 18h05 ret 22h04. 2 Adults Duo should be £15.70, selling £4 advances for each leg, per person, instead.

tony_mac

Established Member
for that journey, and others, it (and Raileasy) only offer £4 advance singles, other sites are offering £3.50 advance singles (and at least 9 are showing as available).

Status
Not open for further replies.