• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainsCanBeCheaper Site Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Note: I have been given permission from the moderators to post this.

We've updated TrainsCanBeCheaper!

For those that don't know, TCBC is the non split-ticketing version of TrainSplit, and we've made some changes behind the scenes that you might be interested in.

New Features:
  • supports e-tickets where available (but you can override and use ToD if you prefer, for free)
  • shows seat reservations before purchase
  • allows you to change seats (using a seat selector) where that's possible.
  • allows refunds completely fee-free in the first 2 hours after purchase, even for advances
  • automates the refund and/or advance replacement process outside the first 2 hours
  • uses an external payment provider, who allows you to save card details if logged in - for security reasons, we never get to see your card details
  • still absolutely no fees or charges of any kind
We're still improving performance, so bear with us, but the site's available now for you to have a go with.

Let us know what you think. If you come across any issues, please feel free to start a private conversation with me.

Thanks,
Nick.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cav1975

I have just had a look and the website looks good.

Why can it not find a fare from Rainham (Kent) to Heathrow (Underground) while it can find one for Rainham (Kent) to London Underground and DLR Zones 1-6 which is basically the same ticket? I can see that people might give up and end up on Heathrow Express...........

ashkeba

Established Member
Still no plusbus or cycle reservations. Any expected date forthem?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Why can it not find a fare from Rainham (Kent) to Heathrow (Underground) while it can find one for Rainham (Kent) to London Underground and DLR Zones 1-6 which is basically the same ticket? I can see that people might give up and end up on Heathrow Express...........

We're driven by the data feed, and there's no timetable for Heathrow Underground, so we can't issue an itinerary. When we issue a U-zone ticket, the underground section isn't part of the itinerary (it's effectively an add on) so we can sell it.

Until we have an official source of data for the leg from Heathrow Underground to whatever London Terminal, we won't be able to produce an itinerary. Sorry.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Still no plusbus or cycle reservations. Any expected date forthem?

Plusbus is an issue. We're talking to industry partners about it. Cycle reservations will come in the next version - we needed to prioritise what we could do first, and get it out.

ashkeba

Established Member
Plusbus is an issue. We're talking to industry partners about it. Cycle reservations will come in the next version - we needed to prioritise what we could do first, and get it out.
Thank you. Quite understand need to prioritise but I look forward to using the site some day.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just find it impressive that a third party retailer has managed to introduce a seat selector that works on many different TOCs before some TOCs have managed to launch a seat selector for their own services! If you book a GWR service via their own website you won't be able to choose your seat. But book it via TrainCanBeCheaper...

alistairlees

Established Member
I just find it impressive that a third party retailer has managed to introduce a seat selector that works on many different TOCs before some TOCs have managed to launch a seat selector for their own services! If you book a GWR service via their own website you won't be able to choose your seat. But book it via TrainCanBeCheaper...
Indeed. It's a good effort. Much more useful to far more customers than bike reservations, useful though the latter are to some customers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I think you may have just ensured my custom. Does it work with Trainsplit? It seems to be branded Trainsplit...

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I think you may have just ensured my custom. Does it work with Trainsplit? It seems to be branded Trainsplit...

I'd say it's a pretty solid bet that that all these new TCBC features are in the pipeline for Trainsplit.

ashkeba

Established Member
Indeed. It's a good effort. Much more useful to far more customers than bike reservations, useful though the latter are to some customers.
Cycle reservations are essential for some journeys. Seat selection is just froth on coffee - nice but almost never essential. Plusbus somewhere between the two - can be replaced but often costs more.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure the changes will be rolled out to Trainsplit in due course :)

Cycle reservations are essential for some journeys.
True but...
Seat selection is just froth on coffee - nice but almost never essential.
As a non-car owning cyclist I will say that a seat selector benefits me much more often than the ability to reserve cycles. Also some TOCs telesales will do it, as will all good ticket offices
Plusbus somewhere between the two - can be replaced but often costs more.
It's the same price when bought on the day. I agree it is a nice thing to have online though as not everyone has access to an open ticket office, but I can see why it's not one of the top priorities.

Anyway it sounds like these things are coming, so no need to worry!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cycle reservations are essential for some journeys. Seat selection is just froth on coffee - nice but almost never essential. Plusbus somewhere between the two - can be replaced but often costs more.

Seat selection is absolutely essential if, as is the case on most rolling stock, you're tall enough that you don't fit some or all of the seats, or there are a significant number of poor seats e.g. with no window view/shoulder room. I'll still mostly travel walk-up in fares terms, but there is absolutely no point in me making a seat reservation at all without one.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Btw on EMR, it's allowing me to reserve seats in coach D on the HST sets (1513 from Leicester), but I get an error when trying to confirm it.
I suspect it's because this is the designated unreserved coach, since it works ok for C.
I get the same error for A on the 6 car sets (2013 from Leicester), although the unreserved coach D is greyed out on this plan (this is because it's incorrectly showing it as a first class coach)

Actually I think I was trying to select an unreservable seat at the front of A, the ones towards the centre are fine.

But thanks, this feature is really good, I can finally select seats on EMR that I actually like.

On the 6 car HSTs, coaches A, B, C, D are standard class, with D being unreserved and the declassified first class coach (old A when with GC)
F and G are first class, with F being an ex GWR buffet coach.

Attachments

• emrhstfc.PNG
    emrhstfc.PNG
    53.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm assuming this works the same way as e.g. the VT one, i.e. it pulls another ticket at the same quota level to get the new seat then puts the other one back, so it won't work if you're on the last ticket of a given tier? (I can't see another way round it, so that is probably the case?)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm assuming this works the same way as e.g. the VT one, i.e. it pulls another ticket at the same quota level to get the new seat then puts the other one back, so it won't work if you're on the last ticket of a given tier? (I can't see another way round it, so that is probably the case?)
Yes last ticket at that tier cannot be changed.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Seat selection is absolutely essential if, as is the case on most rolling stock, you're tall enough that you don't fit some or all of the seats, or there are a significant number of poor seats e.g. with no window view/shoulder room. I'll still mostly travel walk-up in fares terms, but there is absolutely no point in me making a seat reservation at all without one.

On SWR, Southern, Southeastern etc regardless of ticket type 'seat selection' is a process you do when you board the train!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On SWR, Southern, Southeastern etc regardless of ticket type 'seat selection' is a process you do when you board the train!

And that's fine, but where reservations exist on a busy train there can be few suitable seats left, or you end up playing musical chairs when the Voyager reservations displays fail!

Adam Williams

Established Member
Btw on EMR, it's allowing me to reserve seats in coach D on the HST sets (1513 from Leicester), but I get an error when trying to confirm it.
I suspect it's because this is the designated unreserved coach, since it works ok for C.
I get the same error for A on the 6 car sets (2013 from Leicester), although the unreserved coach D is greyed out on this plan (this is because it's incorrectly showing it as a first class coach)

Thanks for reporting this (and for providing the correct coach information), these data issues are useful to know about. Hopefully it can be sorted upstream.

Actually I think I was trying to select an unreservable seat at the front of A, the ones towards the centre are fine.

But it was showing as available in the UI?

Can you also let me know which browser you were using for the screenshot you took? The seat availability progress bars should not overflow their container as they are doing for you. Reference image below:

upload_2019-11-12_6-37-52.png

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Thanks for reporting this (and for providing the correct coach information), these data issues are useful to know about. Hopefully it can be sorted upstream.
Indeed, it has been passed on to the relevant person for checking. Thanks.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
We have fixed the display overlap problem in the seat selector. Thanks for pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.