• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit TOD - advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saperstein

Hi,

Earlier tonight I purchased some train tickets using the TrainSpit iOS app.

I paid using MasterCard but used a virtual card, that, although tied to my bank account isn't an actual plastic card.

I only realised after paying that the TVM wants the card I paid with for collection.

What are my options please, I immediately emailed TrainSpilt but I note they finish at 1630 on a Friday and I am due to travel tomorrow.

I planned to pick up my tickets from Liverpool Lime Street, is there any chance if I explain the above the booking office can help? Otherwise it’s gonna be an expensive mistake!

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I planned to pick up my tickets from Liverpool Lime Street, is there any chance if I explain the above the booking office can help? Otherwise it’s gonna be an expensive mistake!

On the occasion this happened to me (using someone else's card to buy the tickets and then not having that card with me in my case) the ticket office admonished me but happily issued the tickets as the booking was under my name in the database and I could prove my identity. Whether that's standard procedure or not I don't know but I'd hope that any reasonable booking office clerk would behave similarly!

alistairlees

Established Member
An enjoyable 3.66% fee for TrainSplit if you collect from the booking office making this sale a total loss for trainsplit ...

robbeech

Established Member
DO you have any cards at all? Perhaps if one of the people on the forum that works for them were able to change the booking to any card that would help?

Saperstein

DO you have any cards at all? Perhaps if one of the people on the forum that works for them were able to change the booking to any card that would help?

Yes I hold another card on that account.

It only really comes out if I run out of contactless transactions (every so often they do a PIN check to prevent fraud) or when I draw from an ATM.

The virtual card is an anti-fraud idea. Any issues I can simply block it within my banks app and carry on using the plastic card so I’m not stranded.

I normally use the virtual card for all card not present transactions except rail tickets due to the current issue.

However I normally remember to use the plastic card when booking railway journeys to avoid my current problem but under stress I forgot tonight LOL.

Ive actually used a Tesco Clubcard to collect tickets before now purchased from Southern with e-vouchers LOL.

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that using Apple/Google/Samsung Pay marks the ticket as any card collection, as of course the ticket company only receive your virtual card number which bears no resemblance to your actual card number.

freddie1729

An enjoyable 3.66% fee for TrainSplit if you collect from the booking office making this sale a total loss for trainsplit ...

What is the fee if it's collected from a machine?

EDIT: I found the answer.

Below £15: 7.5p
Above £15: 0.5%

Last edited:

js517

I'm pretty sure that using Apple/Google/Samsung Pay marks the ticket as any card collection, as of course the ticket company only receive your virtual card number which bears no resemblance to your actual card number.

I'm afraid this is not necessarily the case. Trainsplit confirmation emails make it clear whether tickets are available for any card collection or if the payment card is required.

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm afraid this is not necessarily the case. Trainsplit confirmation emails make it clear whether tickets are available for any card collection or if the payment card is required.

But as TrainSplit don’t receive the card number, in the same way other companies don’t if you pay by PayPal, how can they tie the purchase to one card?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
We get the first six and last four digits of the card number and that's what's used. This is common practice and meets the PCI guidelines.
In any case, PM me your booking reference and I'll release it for any card collection.

Also the email queues at Raileasy are massive at the moment, as you might imagine.

One other option for other forum users in these circumstances is that you can refund any booking entirely without fee in the first two hours. It's technically called a "non-issue". Our refunds site refunds.trainsplit.com works our if you're eligible.

Wanstonian

Verified Rep - Raileasy
Hi,

Earlier tonight I purchased some train tickets using the TrainSpit iOS app.

I paid using MasterCard but used a virtual card, that, although tied to my bank account isn't an actual plastic card.

I only realised after paying that the TVM wants the card I paid with for collection.

What are my options please, I immediately emailed TrainSpilt but I note they finish at 1630 on a Friday and I am due to travel tomorrow.

Thanks!

Hi, if you email [email protected] now and say URGENT CARD UNLOCK in the subject line and put the booking ref in the body of the email I will deal with it. Thanks

Saperstein

Thanks all one of the staff DM me last night and gave me an email address to contact them on with the booking ref which I did and it was sorted first thing this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.