TrainSplit v2

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by SickyNicky, 30 Jun 2017.

1. SickyNicky

SickyNicky Verified Rep - TrainSplit.com

We're delighted to announce that we've opened up the long awaited TrainSplit v2 to members of this forum. You can find it at:

https://new.trainsplit.com/

Powered by the new FastJP journey planner, it does things rather differently because it looks for alternative routes and change points, not just the fastest, and it will allow travel via non-permitted routes by splitting tickets at the appropriate places.

We're not switching traffic from the old site yet because we're not splitting advance tickets on the same train yet. We'll probably enable that next week. So it's possible that old TrainSplit might be able to beat some of the prices of new TrainSplit.

But we thought that you might like to try it out in advance of the general launch. So enjoy!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

I dont have any bookings to make just now but I shall check this out soon.

4. Clip

Clip On Moderation

Seems good to me however when I tried clicking on the 1st class banner to show those prices it just wouldnt show them.

5. Rover

Rover Member

Very impressive!

You've set this out very clearly. I found it very easy to see both the trains I actually had to catch, the stations I had to change at and the tickets I would be holding.

6. palmersears

palmersears Member

Looks pretty good. One initial comment, would it be possible to have the option to choose either 'depart after' or 'arrive before' times, ala the current site? I do often make bookings based on what the latest available option is to get me back to Stockport for 2130, for example.

As an aside as well, are there any plans for a mobile/tablet version and/or an app? I very rarely access the current site via a desktop/laptop and it's very hard to navigate on my phone.

7. SickyNicky

Have you tried the new site on your phone? It should work well.

An app is coming very soon as well.

8. PaxVobiscum

PaxVobiscum Established Member

Seems very easy to use, though I haven't gone all the way with it yet so to speak, because I need to confirm what the actual travel date will be. On my dummy runs it was fine on an iPhone 7 BTW.
    Thanks for all your work!

9. palmersears

palmersears Member

I had not! Now I have I must say that is a million times better than the current one. Kudos.

10. philjo

philjo Established Member

Looks good. The only gremlin is that the drop-down list for specifying the departure time collapses before I am able to select a time. Using Firefox 54.

11. aelius

aelius Member

It doesn't seem to find advance tickets. For instance for a journey I often make, it offers a ticket for £19.47 using a combination of Off-peak day single+Off-peak single+Off-peak day single; whereas advance tickets are available for the first two journeys (on the same trains) resulting in a cost of £10.50.

12. SickyNicky

Journey, dates and times please.

13. kieron

kieron Established Member

I had a go with it on my Android 'phone in Chrome and Firefox, and there are a few things which aren't quite as I'd like them.

When I type a station name in, it takes a while to come up. It looks as though the site sends over a list of every station with a name or CRS code containing the first letter I typed before it will show the second letter I typed in the box. The old site's "only show 5 results" works better in this respect..

The "advanced options" section is huge. It would be nice if each subsection started off as just a title you could expand as needed.

If I select a result from the list, it brings something up showing where I'd have to change trains. It then reloads the page, after which this message vanishes. This seems quite odd to me.

Leaving aside the mobile site, there are a few things I think would improve the results (such as throwaway advance tickets so a SVS can be replaced with a SVH, starting/finishing short, and having different options in each direction), but allowing tickets which don't follow a permitted route for any through ticket is certainly a big improvement in itself.

14. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

Looking forward to the app!

15. Baxenden Bank

Baxenden Bank Established Member

I've tried a few options, including the well known saving locally via Blythe Bridge.

Very good work.

16. talldave

talldave Established Member

Is there a way to get Travelcards into the mix?

17. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Just looked up a potential shack scoring mission for later this month, which I confess I have not yet booked due to the need to check available funds. If they had been 100% confirmed as available I'd have gladly booked right now and paid the 71p fee. Sadly it is all reliant on figuring out a lot of different bits and bobs, but I never would have thought of making such a split that I was offered.

I love the new website's design, the banner photo being at Paddington (at least I'm sure it is!) certainly put a smile on my face. I have yet to try it on my phone, but I know the previous design was a pain in the face to use on my phone. However, once I get the chance I'll be having a look.

Top job to all involved!

18. takno

takno Established Member

That would be my top vote for a fix. The full list of stations and retail codes would only be about 50k (maybe half that zipped) against an initial page load of nearly 1mb. The result is that the entry boxes are unbelievably more responsive. Try picking a station on traksy for example and see the options come up immediately

19. David57

David57 Member

Just tried booking on the new site Northampton - Hereford return (as a test) for tomorrow Mon 3/7/2017, after 09.00 with a Senior Railcard.
    Comes up at £20.25.

I look at using a West Mids Day Ranger, comes up at £16.90...........

20. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

I've just tried checking out a particular journey and had trouble changing the return time on the homepage. It defaulted to 5 hours hence but when I clicked on the down arrow the list of times displayed briefly, but disappeared as soon as I tried to move the mouse up to select one. I'm using Firefox on a Windows 10 laptop.

21. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This is a bug when using Firefox unfortunately. I use the arrow keys to get around it.

22. SickyNicky

Good call. Thanks guys.

23. SickyNicky

Correct. It's actually a bug with the latest version of Firefox and the "tooltipster" tool in jquery (the bit that brings up the black information boxes when you hover). It's with the designers at the moment.

24. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

I have just tested this route... Hereford to Liverpool Lime Street, out 4/9 return 8/9, with senior railcard.

VTEC offers the 1027 outbound and the 1328 return @ £11.90 each Advance tickets. New Trainsplit finds exactly the same trains but no Advance fares, cheapest being £34.11 in total, "flexible split ticket".

Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem right.

Edit: Ah, I was missing something - clicking on "Fixed" brings up the cheaper tickets :) .

Last edited: 2 Jul 2017
  25. SickyNicky

I'm seeing loads of advances around that time, including cheaper than that at £15.20 return. Can I check that you haven't got "Flexible" selected at the top right? If so, can you select "Fixed Time" instead?

But I can't reproduce the exact itinerary you gave. Maybe there are no more advances available?

26. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

Cheers Nicky, I edited my original post when I found the Fixed option. Both the journeys I found are via Chester, but in total they work out more than what your website found, which is probably why they are not shown on searching the new way.

I like it :D .

27. philjo

philjo Established Member

One feature that would be useful though may take some time to calculate is if it can register that you hold a specific season ticket and then take that into account. - e.g. sometimes it cheaper not to use the season for an advance that overlaps and also obviously allows use on trains that don't call at the split point.

28. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That is an excellent idea, and has already been mentioned by several others, however I understand it is very much a long-term aspiration. I'd imagine it would also be subject to approval by Rail Delivery Group.

29. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Why would the RDG need to approve it?

30. doleawg

doleawg New Member

Keep up good work. Would love an app....

31. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

Doesn't seem to be pulling up Northern Rail Duos. Try 2 Adults Wilmslow - Crewe for example.