• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Here is my analysis to a suggestion from unlevel42 regarding itineraries that involve walks vs alternative interaries that do not avoid walks.

This is something Trainsplit v2 handles well by including a tickbox to avoid walks; the only site I am aware of to offer such a facility!

See: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3044151#post3044151

I guess the question is whether or not an 'avoid walks' option should be more prominent or not, and whether itineraries that involve walks should be more easily identified by booking sites. No easy answers to these, but something to think about!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I certainly like the avoid walks option, not because Im lazy but more because some walking interchanges can be challenging to disabled passengers, those with luggage or the elderly and whilst there are some like Wiggan Wallgate to Northwesten that arnt to bad the Glasgow Central to Queen St can be a challenge at certain times esp if the towns full of drunks.

trainophile

Established Member
Has Trainsplit version 1 been disabled? I'm getting repeated error messages.

Sorry - this search has produced an error. In the first instance please close and restart your browser. If it persists, please contact us. GetPricesBackground: Error message: An entry with the same key already exists. 3

No worries, I'm using the new version now, but I just wondered.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Has Trainsplit version 1 been disabled? I'm getting repeated error messages.
No worries, I'm using the new version now, but I just wondered.

No - it seems to be working for me, and there are bookings coming in. What exact search are you trying please?

trainophile

Established Member
I entered 1st August Hereford to Crewe departing 1300, returning 1500. The itinerary only allows 40 minutes at Crewe (enough for our purposes!) so perhaps that confuses the system. Managed to book Advance tickets on the 1308 and 1508 on VTEC so it seems to be a glitch on TrainSplit.

It finds trains on the new version but at £22.55 for two off peak day returns (with railcard), splitting at Shrewsbury, whereas I can get two through Advances for £21.80 on VTEC (£19.15 total when I grabbed the last £8.25 1508 CRE-HFD).

Curious. Unless I'm doing something wrong again...

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
The £21.80 advances are definitely available on TS2 - see the attached screenshot. Make sure you have "fixed times" mode enabled.

It looks like you've found a bug on TS1, so I'm investigating it now.

Thanks.

I entered 1st August Hereford to Crewe departing 1300, returning 1500. The itinerary only allows 40 minutes at Crewe (enough for our purposes!) so perhaps that confuses the system. Managed to book Advance tickets on the 1308 and 1508 on VTEC so it seems to be a glitch on TrainSplit.

It finds trains on the new version but at £22.55 for two off peak day returns (with railcard), splitting at Shrewsbury, whereas I can get two through Advances for £21.80 on VTEC (£19.15 total when I grabbed the last £8.25 1508 CRE-HFD).

Curious. Unless I'm doing something wrong again...

Attachments

• screenshot_68.png
    screenshot_68.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 41

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Managed to book Advance tickets on the 1308 and 1508 on VTEC so it seems to be a glitch on TrainSplit.

It was just a display issue, I'm pleased to say. I've found and fixed it in development and will roll it out with in the next update. Thanks, again.

trainophile

Established Member
Had an email this morning from Raileasy, informing of the new site.

I must admit I find it annoying that all the published deals almost always assume you are starting from or heading to London. Not much for those of us in the sticks :( .

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
By "published deals" do you mean the ones that display at the top of the site, in the picture of Paddington? If so, that's because it's what people are searching for!

ondi

I've just booked the following trip using Trainsplit

"Board the 17:02 SOUTHEASTERN service which goes to LONDON ST PANCRAS. details
You'll arrive at LONDON ST PANCRAS at 18:54.
Ticket used: MARGATE to LONDON (MAINLINE STATIONS), ADVANCE RETURN. (RTN portion). Valid "As advertised"."

But it also says:
(outbound: NOT VALID TO DEP 0429-0930 OR 1600-1900 )
(return: NOT VALID TO DEP 0429-0930 OR 1600-1900 )

Does this mean I've just paid for a ticket on a train which I can't actually board?!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is valid.

What ticket type were you issued?

What price was it?

Single or return?

roversfan2001

Established Member
Advance returns don't exist. Advance fares have been single fares for a while now.

That looks like the Southeastern promotional fare, the restrictions of which can be found on their website (or in a recent post in the "Special Offers Discussion" thread). If you have bought a ticket in conjunction with an itinerary and reservations then it's valid no matter what anyway.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was meaning the examples illustrated in the email, which I must admit I only glanced at.
The email examples are all advanced purchase fares but I assume those are easier to highlight in an email and describe. Rather than split ticket fares, which is where the value of the site is really realised to those wishing to split and save.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks. I paid £10 for an advance return.
I can't find these.

What date did you book for?

Edit: No wonder I couldn't find it!

On further investigation, it appears to be this oxymoron fare "Advance purchase Off-Peak day return" which is actually a flexible Off Peak fare which has to be purchased in advance.

Although you have emboldened the outbound restrictions, it looks like you are quoting the return portion itinerary only, and it's only available from London as an origin.

The return portion restriction is actually:

Valid for return travel on the same day departing after 2pm.

Attachments

• margate.png
    margate.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 27
  • margate2.png
    margate2.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 28

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Advance returns don't exist.
Not true. The ticket type AVR when originally introduced a couple of months ago was indeed an Advance Return. The booking conditions seem to have been simplified now so that, while it still requires booking in advance, it no longer requires reservations to be made. It is still quite an oddity though.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Not true. The ticket type AVR when originally introduced a couple of months ago was indeed an Advance Return. The booking conditions seem to have been simplified now so that, while it still requires booking in advance, it no longer requires reservations to be made. It is still quite an oddity though.

What flows are "Advance Return" AVR tickets available on?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
OK, so AVR appears to be a new ticket type for Southeastern's "Summer Hidden Gems" promotion - i.e. the very ticket type which is being discussed here, no?
Yes! When originally reduced, in April or so (for sale on summer dates), it really was an advance fare: the ticket name as printed on the ticket was "Advance Return" and there was a requirement for a reservation to be made on both journeys. On 11th June the requirement for reservations was removed (but the advance booking requirement kept), and the ticket name changed to "Promotional Return".

julieandjack

Hey there. This train split site is great! I have saved a ton so far. When is the Apple app coming? Will it also be available on Google Play as well?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Hey there. This train split site is great! I have saved a ton so far. When is the Apple app coming? Will it also be available on Google Play as well?

Thanks for that. The Google app will be first up, followed by the iOS one. Expect it soon - it just takes a while to get these things accredited.

julieandjack

Thanks for that. The Google app will be first up, followed by the iOS one. Expect it soon - it just takes a while to get these things accredited.

Wow thanks! I can see the whole family using this. Will it look just like the new site? The old site didn't work very well on my husband's phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.