• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
Does the latest version of Chrome run on the old i phones?
Rather off-topic, but Chrome on iPhones isn't a full browser, since Apple rules forbid that. It uses Safari under the hood for rendering the pages and running Javascript, and that would still be the older version.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Rather off-topic, but Chrome on iPhones isn't a full browser, since Apple rules forbid that. It uses Safari under the hood for rendering the pages and running Javascript, and that would still be the older version.
Even more off topic, please humour me. Does that apply to full blown Macs as well? What about Opera?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Getting back to the app, the Android one is ready, but the iOS one is a couple of months away. All of the quoted reasons for using an app are relevant, and although most of them aren't supported in v1.00, they will be added over time. We had to start somewhere. Over the next few months we'll be adding things like
  • alternative payment methods (PayPal, Google, Apple etc.)
  • secure storage of more details (you can store some stuff right now, but eventually we'll be storing everything)
  • delays and alerts
  • e-tickets (but we'll always offer ToD, even for same day advances - in fact we can do XC 10 minute advances on ToD right now
  • advanced options (deliberately omitted from v1.00 to keep things simple for the majority of users).
And going forward we'll be doing things like
  • seat reservation pickers
  • booking modifications and cancellations
You're correct in saying that all of this is technically possible via web sites, but the app is much faster, especially on low bandwidth connections, and is properly optimised for the platform (things like standard Android date/time pickers and controls).

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Ohhhh, but that's a long list of things that aren't in the app :s. What IS actually in the app? :rolleyes:
  • Easy to navigate and understand journey planner mechanism
  • Simple native controls for setting up and selecting journeys
  • A new way of viewing journeys in one view for fastest, best and cheapest (I think you'll like it)
  • Accounts, including previous bookings etc.
  • Fast to use, minimal data requirements.
Remember that this is aimed at the "person in the street" and simplicity is the order of the game. It's much easier to use on a mobile device than the web site, and that was the aim - "my mum could use it". Those of you that develop apps will know just how much effort there is involved in making a good job of it, and we've really gone all out to try to ensure the experience is clean and error free.

But I have to start somewhere, and I think we're at a point where it's useful even without the extra features. Those will come, as time moves on. Yes, I could keep delaying the launch to add more features, but what's the point of that?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I am a mum so if I can use it that'll be a bonus :D It does sound VERY basic though :rolleyes:.

Yes, well you've not met mine :smile:. I think you'll like it though, and it's a great platform for me to build on moving forward. In fact, I'm looking forward to comments here about what we could add to it.

Edit: It's also worth noting that simplicity at launch really improves the accreditation process.

julieandjack

We wait with bated breath :D. My husband has an iPhone so it's of no use to him. But I wait with bated breath.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
There's an iOS version not far behind. We're keeping the two identical, except using the relevant Android or iOS user interfaces and display conventions.

takno

Established Member
I am a mum so if I can use it that'll be a bonus :D It does sound VERY basic though :rolleyes:.
That analogy never worked for me either. My mum is more than capable of using any technology you throw at her, but will still put her tablet down and look at the news on Ceefax because she prefers it that way. If someone makes an app that she *will* use then I'll be impressed

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Let's not get into a discussion on analogies! It was very much one for me only - I wanted an app that *my* mother could use - but it could be anyone who isn't comfortable with technology in general.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I certainly look forward to thr Android app and in future developments sound great too.

Being able to add in an unlimited amount if stops or changes would be interesting. Even if not to buy a ticket at that precise moment but just to see what one can do with a much better customised system than others provide.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
OK folks. I have put a release out at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trainsplit.trainsplit

It's a properly accredited version which will sell tickets, and this is a public facing forum, so anyone can see and use it (and it's on the Play Store, so is equally visible there).

Having said that, there are presentation layer only tweaks to be made in the coming weeks to implement some of the more obvious things before we start advertising it and redirecting mobile users to it. So you're not looking at the completed thing in terms of presentation, just an iteration. But you all seemed keen to give it a go. You will, of course, always be able to keep using the current mobile site if you need some of the more advanced options, or just don't like the new layout.

Comments are welcome and will be taken on board as we draw up plans for the next version. But remember that we're not a big industry player with loads of money. TrainSplit was a hobby of mine until a year or so ago, and the whole thing was born of a desire to help people who wouldn't know otherwise how to find better value journey options. So it's not really targeted at most users of this forum (who will know how to do that anyway), although I think you'll find it useful.

Adsy125

OK folks. I have put a release out at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trainsplit.trainsplit

It's a properly accredited version which will sell tickets, and this is a public facing forum, so anyone can see and use it (and it's on the Play Store, so is equally visible there).

Having said that, there are presentation layer only tweaks to be made in the coming weeks to implement some of the more obvious things before we start advertising it and redirecting mobile users to it. So you're not looking at the completed thing in terms of presentation, just an iteration. But you all seemed keen to give it a go. You will, of course, always be able to keep using the current mobile site if you need some of the more advanced options, or just don't like the new layout.

Comments are welcome and will be taken on board as we draw up plans for the next version. But remember that we're not a big industry player with loads of money. TrainSplit was a hobby of mine until a year or so ago, and the whole thing was born of a desire to help people who wouldn't know otherwise how to find better value journey options. So it's not really targeted at most users of this forum (who will know how to do that anyway), although I think you'll find it useful.
I have only had a quick look but the interface is brilliant and very simple, although I wonder about the ticket selection screen. I look forward to further updates, trainsplit is a lot easier to use than trying to split the tickets yourself! Will first class tickets be added?

dcsprior

I can't get it to work. When I load the app I get asked my From and To stations. I type edb in the From field and hit the green button on my on-screen keyboard to move to the next screen, and it blanks out the field I've just completed. If I enter Edinburgh instead of edb I get the same results. If I click in the To field rather than pressing the green button on the on-screen keyboard I get the same result.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Did you select the station from the drop down list that appeared? Or did no list appear?

takno

Established Member
Did you select the station from the drop down list that appeared? Or did no list appear?
It's doing something strange. Didn't work for me the first couple of times and then after that the dropdowns on both Arrival and Destination fields were periodically dropping down at the same time.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Would you mind telling me your device make and model please? I'll feed it back to the devs and they can check it out. We've checked a range of devices, but there's no way we could have checked everything. I have noted the point about it not accepting CRS codes without using the drop down, and will ask them to fix that.

takno

Established Member
Would you mind telling me your device make and model please? I'll feed it back to the devs and they can check it out. We've checked a range of devices, but there's no way we could have checked everything. I have noted the point about it not accepting CRS codes without using the drop down, and will ask them to fix that.
I've used Xiaomi phone (Android 6) and a Moto G (probably 4). It looks like it has to load the list of stations on first use, and doesn't open the dropdown when it's done, so there's a spinner just sitting there forever. That seemed to keep it confused on the first use, but after that it settled down to work properly. Might only happen when you type a CRS code.

I'm happy to give you more detailed feedback in a PM if you like - I'm not sure how helpful it is to share in the thread

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
PM for detailed feedback is great. Thanks. I have the guys looking at recognising CRS codes without using the drop down anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I need to travel to Crystal Palace from PMS on Thursday for a day's training course. Brfares shows me the cheapest option is a Super Off Peak Day return at £18.20 via not London.
I thought I would just see what TrainSplit comes up with.
Strangely it does not seem to find any through fares, and the best it comes up with is a Super Off Peak from PMS to Norwood Junc at £18.20, plus an Anytime Day return from Norwood Junc to Crystal Palace at £4.20, making £22.40 in total.
Why doesn't it find the £18.20 fare all the way to Crystal Palace?
I note RDG has been reading this and the issue has now been resolved
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/national-routeing-guide-update.99396/page-26#post-3196909
To provide permissions for tickets priced Not via London the following additional sequences added

Crystal Palace (CYP) and PORTSMOUTH GROUP (G23) - added sequence 'SC+HE'
Crystal Palace (CYP) and PORTSMOUTH GROUP (G23) - added sequence 'VH+EF+HE'
Crystal Palace (CYP) and PORTSMOUTH GROUP (G23) - added sequence 'VH+SW'
This journey now has mapped routes which do not go via London. These include routes via Epsom, via Surbiton and via Chertsey.
It also adds mapped routes via London which go:
via Epsom;
via Streatham, Tulse Hill, Earlsfield and Raynes Park; and
ones via Streatham, Tulse Hill and Barnes which do not go through Wimbledon.

The shortest route is via West Croydon and Guildford, and is now mapped on SC+HE.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Great app. Love the UK. Only gripe I have is the lack of ability to put via points in if you wanted a specific routing. I assume that it'll be in a upcoming release though.

Otherwise great work

Iggy12a

To provide permissions for tickets priced Not via London the following additional sequences added

Crystal Palace (CYP) and PORTSMOUTH GROUP (G23) - added sequence 'SC+HE'
Crystal Palace (CYP) and PORTSMOUTH GROUP (G23) - added sequence 'VH+EF+HE'
Crystal Palace (CYP) and PORTSMOUTH GROUP (G23) - added sequence 'VH+SW'
This journey now has mapped routes which do not go via London. These include routes via Epsom, via Surbiton and via Chertsey.
It also adds mapped routes via London which go:
via Epsom;
via Streatham, Tulse Hill, Earlsfield and Raynes Park; and
ones via Streatham, Tulse Hill and Barnes which do not go through Wimbledon.

The shortest route is via West Croydon and Guildford, and is now mapped on SC+HE.

I am still having trouble getting Trainsplit to suggest the £18.20 Super Off Peak Day Return from Portsmouth & Southsea to Crystal Palace. If I just input the most basic criteria of Portsmouth to Crystal Palace tomorrow, leaving after 9:30am coming back mid-afternoon, it still selects the combined fare of £22.40. It is only if I go into the Advanced selection, and ask for via Epsom, it then finds the £18.20 fare. If I input via Surbiton or via Chertsey, which was what Kieron indicated were now valid routings for "not London", it reverts to pricing the journey at £22.40 with two tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am still having trouble getting Trainsplit to suggest the £18.20 Super Off Peak Day Return from Portsmouth & Southsea to Crystal Palace. If I just input the most basic criteria of Portsmouth to Crystal Palace tomorrow, leaving after 9:30am coming back mid-afternoon, it still selects the combined fare of £22.40. It is only if I go into the Advanced selection, and ask for via Epsom, it then finds the £18.20 fare.
This is a slow journey at around 3 hours towards Portsmouth and not a lot less towards CYP.

I think you're right it probably should be found when clicking "Value" without having to specify via: Epsom, which then does find these fares. I am sure @SickyNicky will look into this. The problem is getting an algorithm that works effectively with any query.

In this case nearly an extra hour each way journey time does save around £9, so the saving is worth it for some people.
If I input via Surbiton or via Chertsey, which was what Kieron indicated were now valid routings for "not London", it reverts to pricing the journey at £22.40 with two tickets.
Have you looked at the maps?
  • SC+HE
  • VH+EF+HE
  • VH+SW
I must admit I had not done, and just assumed RDG (or their contractors?) had solved it. But now I have looked and clearly they haven't.

Yes you can go via Surbiton or Chertsey, but only if you also go via Eastleigh/Basingstoke! There is no mapped route via the "Portsmouth Direct" line and Surbiton/Chertsey.

So the underlying issues with these fares are a result of RDG not allowing the fastest route. But then again, the Routeing Guide is in denial that most people actually want to take the fastest route, instead preferring the shortest route (ie, via Epsom), apparently.

I am aware of numerous journeys where the fastest route is not a permitted route. Most booking sites will not offer these journeys at all. Only ticket splitting websites will offer an itinerary. This is a huge issue, and people need to contact their MPs about it, as well as make strong complaints to the relevant train companies (asking them to put pressure on RDG), Transport Focus and the DfT.

trainophile

Established Member
Hope it's okay to resurrect this thread, but I want to say a big thank you for the savings I just made!

Planning a short break Southport to Falkirk Grahamston mid-March. Went on TPE - no 1st Advances, cheapest 1st Off Peak Return £111.30. Managed to get that down to £70.60 by buying through Standard tickets plus Wigan to Haymarket in 1st (can't face long VTWC journeys in Standard - backache). I was one click away from "Buy now" when my little voice piped up and said just check what TrainSplit can offer... £51.50 all in, 1st Class both ways between WGN and EDB, with seat reservations. Only slight concern is a 11 minute connection at EDB, but I'm sure I can manage to find where I need to go.

So very many thanks to the developers of this wonderful money-saving website :) .

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
You're welcome. That's exactly the sort of thing we built it for.
If you miss the connection at Edinburgh, don't worry. Your onwards tickets will still be valid on the next available service (of the same TOC if using advances).

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
ScotRail services between Edinburgh and Falkirk are fairly fast and frequent so if you miss the one shown on your itinerary trainophile you’ll have another due shortly.

Just make sure it’s the “right” Falkirk station for you as it’s a mile’s walk between the two ;)

trainophile

Established Member
ScotRail services between Edinburgh and Falkirk are fairly fast and frequent so if you miss the one shown on your itinerary trainophile you’ll have another due shortly.

Just make sure it’s the “right” Falkirk station for you as it’s a mile’s walk between the two ;)

Thanks for the warning! I made sure to book a B&B a short distance from Falkirk Grahamston. On booking.com if you look at the map attached to any of the available hotels you can zoom in and see how far places are from stations. My formula is to find the right balance between the most affordable and the handiest for my arrival and departure! Ticked both boxes with this one I think.

Thanks for the reassurance about the situation if my connection is missed. I'm routed on the Dunblane Scotrail service from EDB, but I presume that is not a timed train - no seat reservation anyway.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
If you don't have a reservation, you're ok to take any suitable connecting train that doesn't have reservations. But since this would be a missed connection anyway, that's irrelevant. You can just take the next train. It's well established in the industry rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.