• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Are there plans to introduce the ability to add multiple via points to the Trainsplit app? This is for Android if that makes any difference? Cheers

Iggy12a

I came across a fare for a sector of a split journey which doesn't seem to be valid to me.
For East Croydon to Tottenham Hale, the standard single fare is £9.00 via any permitted with a Maltese Cross. Trainsplit suggests that by travelling East Croydon - Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Tottenham Hale, you only need to buy a East Croydon to London Underground Zones 2-6 at £6.40. Surely the fact that you have to travel through zone 1 on the underground means that this ticket is not valid?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I came across a fare for a sector of a split journey which doesn't seem to be valid to me.
For East Croydon to Tottenham Hale, the standard single fare is £9.00 via any permitted with a Maltese Cross. Trainsplit suggests that by travelling East Croydon - Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Tottenham Hale, you only need to buy a East Croydon to London Underground Zones 2-6 at £6.40. Surely the fact that you have to travel through zone 1 on the underground means that this ticket is not valid?
I suspect it's a case of TrainSplit not being aware of the Zones that you pass through when making that journey on the Underground. But equally other retailers are doing the same thing. If there were a check en-route (which is rare as hens' teeth on the Underground if you aren't actually changing trains) you'd just produce your itinerary to show that you were travelling exactly in line with what you were sold.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not a Trainsplit issue; Trainline clearly does not use the same data provider as Trainsplit (you can tell that because you get different results for some other journeys), and Trainline are also affected.

It's got to be an issue with the data itself.

Not all providers support "Zone U23456 London" tickets, and not all providers have this fixed link. For example Loco2 only finds itineraries via Liverpool Street, and does not display any fares.

Attachments

• ecr to tom.jpg
    ecr to tom.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14

trainophile

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed that when using the new Trainsplit search facility, if you want to e.g. use the arrows to search for earlier or later trains than the time you originally input, the "Leave after/Arrive before" function changes itself from After to Before, and therefore generally returns 'no journeys found'. I suspect this might be a software blip but wondered if it's just me, or whether it could be looked at if others have found the same problem.

433N

Has anyone else noticed that when using the new Trainsplit search facility, if you want to e.g. use the arrows to search for earlier or later trains than the time you originally input, the "Leave after/Arrive before" function changes itself from After to Before, and therefore generally returns 'no journeys found'. I suspect this might be a software blip but wondered if it's just me, or whether it could be looked at if others have found the same problem.

It's not just you. I get it too. Very irritating.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes it's a user interface issue; it's been reported here before.

The same issue affects other sites e.g. LNER.

Shotton

Hi;

If I may make a suggestion for additional functionality, I think that offering cheaper tickets which have validity to the destination (but a different origin or destination, eg a ticket you would start or stop short on), for non advance fares, this is often the cheapest way of travelling.

I believe there are a lot of examples of this, but if you'd like a specific one, I could DM it; would rather not post it in case the powers that be close the "loophole".

JB_B

Established Member
Hi;

If I may make a suggestion for additional functionality, I think that offering cheaper tickets which have validity to the destination (but a different origin or destination, eg a ticket you would start or stop short on), for non advance fares, this is often the cheapest way of travelling.

I believe there are a lot of examples of this, but if you'd like a specific one, I could DM it; would rather not post it in case the powers that be close the "loophole".

As you say, it is quite a common situation.

Some examples include ...

1) situations where buying to a more distant station avoids time restrictions.
(See e.g. https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/a-question-about-evening-off-peak-travel-restrictions.174982/ )

2) journeys where a period return is only available for a longer journey but that still works out cheaper than two singles to/from a nearer destination. ( As in this thread https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/off-peak-day-return-from-dundee.187412/ )

3) cheaper TOC-restricted fares which are only available for longer journeys. (E.g. for Brighton-Three Bridges journeys I usually buy a Brighton-Gatwick ticket and stop short because the cheaper Thameslink-only tickets aren't available to Three Bridges.)

I'm sure there are lots of others.

I don't think getting a booking engine to find these situations would be trivial but for purely walk-up tickets (the most relevant for start-long/stop-short) I think it could be doable. For types 2 and 3 I've played with spotting these by searching an abstract* fares space for a penumbra of station pairs starting behind and going beyond the given origin and destination. (* Abstract in the sense of just looking at fares - not considering the timetable.)

Extending this to journeys including a mixture of advances and walk-up might be trickier. I have no idea how NRS access is constrained but I imagine there's a real cost if you hit it too hard.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
My other question about TrainSplit is... can you see your seat reservations before you actually collect the tickets? I haven't managed to find out where this information is displayed on the website.

trainophile

Established Member
Yes, seat reservations are included on the itinerary which gets emailed to you.

So you can't see your seats until you've committed your purchase then.

Edit: The reason I ask is that sometimes for some reason the Virgin website bypasses the seat selector and takes me straight to the payment page, so I wondered whether I could at least see what I've been given if I use TrainSplit instead. Probably a bit naughty to play one off against the other, but if Virgin gives me a backwards window seat and TrainSplit gives me a forwards aisle seat I would want to take the latter.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
Trainsplit also seems to have problems finding journeys to/from the South East where the cheapest option would be to split Advances in London. Its okay when it can find the cheapest level advance for the whole journey but when that has sold out it will often offer you the cheapest through advance rather than an advance to London Terminals and then the appropriate Southern or Southeastern Advance (in my case with a railcard £3/£6 or £12). On an Enquiry I made today from the North West I would have paid £30 more by trainsplit including the "saving" fee for finding a split at Manchester. Its particularly annoying when you would walk between the London terminals (St Pancras, Kings Cross, Euston) anyway, presumably it is concerned about the grey area of delay repay when you use contactless for the tube connection.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi;

There is nothing to stop you booking these but there is no way a booking engine can offer these without a passenger asking, for so many reasons.

My other question about TrainSplit is... can you see your seat reservations before you actually collect the tickets? I haven't managed to find out where this information is displayed on the website.
Yes on the booking confirmation page/email.
So you can't see your seats until you've committed your purchase then.
Not at the current moment in time.
Trainsplit also seems to have problems finding journeys to/from the South East where the cheapest option would be to split Advances in London. Its okay when it can find the cheapest level advance for the whole journey but when that has sold out it will often offer you the cheapest through advance rather than an advance to London Terminals and then the appropriate Southern or Southeastern Advance (in my case with a railcard £3/£6 or £12). On an Enquiry I made today from the North West I would have paid £30 more by trainsplit including the "saving" fee for finding a split at Manchester.
Do you have example itineraries where this is the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.