• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainspotters banned from Peterborough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I'm sure they could, but because it doesn't concern HS2 or any other politically related stuff I doubt that they'll put too much thought into it..

As it is, it's going to be really very hard to enforce...

One day, the fatcats at the head of Rail magazine will wake up and realise who actually buys their magazine - those from industry or the political sector make up a very, very insignifigant minority of it's (plummeting) takings.

Only really Barry S Doe I have any respect for nowadays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
One day, the fatcats at the head of Rail magazine will wake up and realise who actually buys their magazine - those from industry or the political sector make up a very, very insignifigant minority of it's (plummeting) takings.

Only really Barry S Doe I have any respect for nowadays.

It's a recession, magazines are a luxury - especially £3.20 a go. Nigel Harris will be looking very carefully at his readership (for the record, he is not a fatcat - he just tries to keep them happy!). Otto Grohl said that a newspaper's content must be varied, organised and timely, among others - this makes Rail very hard to produce in some respects, as it goes to press every two weeks. Developments in the industry are much better reported online via twitter and blogs (*points to The Railway Eye*) in terms of speed - who will buy a magazine if they, or their friend, can find out the same information quicker, and for free?

The political angle is a good one, if I'm honest. There's a lot of analysis there that the majority of enthusiasts aren't interested in, but the corporate and civil service bigwigs just can't get anywhere else...

TDK

Established Member
Instead of whining about this why don't you guys suss out who is causing the problems at any station and I have seen many messing about giving enthusiasts a bad name and sort them out internally as they say, I do not mean violence here but maybe let the station staff know of the bad few and get them banned? Job done. It is only a matter of time when one of these idiots is going to be seriously injured or even killed and when not if this happens there will be a widespread ban on all enthusiats and this is certainly not fair, so do some homework, sort out the bad guys and preserve your hobby instead of whining and doing nothing!!

Flywaver

Saturday evening i passed through Peterborough and a Steamer was waiting to go through parked up at Eastfield. Hardly a sole at Peterborough platform but a fair few at March. This might explain it then..

RPM

Established Member
How exactly can they prove you are trainspotting? For that matter how do you define a trainspotter anyway? I enjoy photographing trains but I don't jot down numbers or underline them in a book. Am I a trainspotter? Not in my view so a ban on trainspotting doesn't apply to me as far as I'm concerned. However, if the ban was on photography that would be different (though equally daft).

It reminds me of this sign at Derby:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/4426595677/

"Please feel free to pass if you are suicidal, intent on vandalism or looking to trespass, but trainspotters are beyond the pale".
It just makes the railway look stupid and frankly we don't need any help with that.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
It reminds me of this sign at Derby:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/4426595677/

"Please feel free to pass if you are sucidal, intent on vandalism or looking to trespass, but trainspotters are beyond the pale".
It just makes the railway look stupid and frankly we don't need any help with that.

If that's near a ramp then it's probably problems with Spotters going too far... Either that or a Photoshop job ;)

AlexS

Established Member
Not something to do with any issues with the former walking route over to 4 Shed was it, looking at the location? Spotters certainly don't appear to have any problems at Derby now, see them well beyond the former location of the sign regularly.

allticketspls

The whole thing at Peterborough came from the Duty Station Manager quoting to a group of people that he wanted to ban enthusiasts from the station when steam trains are due as they ignore the do not pass this point notices at the end of platform 4/5 and walk down the ramp to get shots. This occured again with several 'older' enthusiasts ignoring notices and requests from members of staff.

The problem not only stems from ignorance of signs/instructions but also quite a bit of verbal abuse from said 'enthusiasts' when challenged. I used to experience this when I worked at Peterborough myself and several of my ex colleagues still experience it.

Unfortunately, it is not only Peterborough that this occurs at, I have seen several times at other ECML stations where people walk down the ramps and cross the ECML rather than use the footbridge/subway just to ensure they get the best photos.

From what I have now been told by a member of PBO staff, the station manager involved has insisted he was quoted out of context but that EC would be looking into the situation to prevent further staff abuse/problems.

bAzTNM

Soon as they start shouting and threatening you over a stupid picture, you should be phoning the police on them.

Same thing as "older" cyclists. Always the worst behaved ones.

i have never had a problem at peterborough station, but then i don't often go there with a camera i usually take a notebook and put it inside something cause i have had a few friends who have had a few issues off platform staff about notebooks but not about photos.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Steam enthusiasts again. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!.
<(<(
Steam enthusiasts aren't all bad, it just happens that the more casual enthusiasts are generally drawn to steam, and the causal enthusiast is usually the trespassing type.

i have never had a problem at peterborough station, but then i don't often go there with a camera i usually take a notebook and put it inside something cause i have had a few friends who have had a few issues off platform staff about notebooks but not about photos.

I'm quite surprised by that really, as spotters are naturally less likely to trespass as their hobby doesn't require a favourable angle.

BlythPower

So, we've recently had threads entitled "Selfish trainspotters", "Police hunt extreme trainspotter" and now "Trainspotters banned from Peterborough?" and in all cases it's not spotters causing problems, it's photographers <( and there's usually a kettle involved. Surely the solution is to ban both photters and kettles from the national network..? ;)

RPM

Established Member
So, we've recently had threads entitled "Selfish trainspotters", "Police hunt extreme trainspotter" and now "Trainspotters banned from Peterborough?" and in all cases it's not spotters causing problems, it's photographers <( and there's usually a kettle involved. Surely the solution is to ban both photters and kettles from the national network..? ;)

I think that would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

It is very simple. Steam trains attract crowds of people, many of whom are often inclined to stray too near to or even on to the track. Any station manager worth his/her salt should know this and ensure that staff are posted on all platforms to supervise. That is what I used to do. There is no need to talk about banning spotters, photographers or anything else. The key is to manage the situation.

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
I think that would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

It is very simple. Steam trains attract crowds of people, many of whom are often inclined to stray too near to or even on to the track. Any station manager worth his/her salt should know this and ensure that staff are posted on all platforms to supervise. That is what I used to do. There is no need to talk about banning spotters, photographers or anything else. The key is to manage the situation.

Even if it was a slip of the toung, it's understandable why Rail/Station staff get frustrated with the minority enthusiasts, who are more than old enough to know better, but constantly break the Railway bye-laws just for that perfect shot.

Crossover

Established Member

My extra bold

If it had been up to 4SRKT, after setting fire to all of Yorkshire last year, kettles would have been banned by now!

Steam enthusiasts aren't all bad, it just happens that the more casual enthusiasts are generally drawn to steam, and the causal enthusiast is usually the trespassing type.

I'm quite surprised by that really, as spotters are naturally less likely to trespass as their hobby doesn't require a favourable angle.

I'm sure their not all bad. Its just when theres an incident flagged up, there been a Kettle in the area. Like the guy who was within an inch of been hit in Norfolk a couple of years ago, and the 2 guys on a crossing in Hampshire the other week.

Buffer68

Most of the stations I have been spotting and photographing have had no problem with me coming on and I am always sensible once on the staion. A security guard at Bournemouth once said no and then got the duty manager who said I was fine to come on. Went to Bristol Temple Meads in February and was fine - got let through the barriers. The next time I went, a few months later the member of staff wouldn't let me through the barrier - although ironically if I had had my notebook proving a previous visit then that would have been OK! Best place I've been is Eastleigh where on thursdays and fridays there is always a gathering of spotters at the end of P3 and nobody bats an eyelid.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I'm sure their not all bad. Its just when theres an incident flagged up, there been a Kettle in the area. Like the guy who was within an inch of been hit in Norfolk a couple of years ago, and the 2 guys on a crossing in Hampshire the other week.

Steam just brings out a lot of "enthusiasts", and with the sheer amount of people who turn out, there's always going to be bad eggs unfortunately :(

Aictos

Established Member
On the 1st December, a steam charter came though Peterborough and despite many many safety announcements being made asking spotters to move away from the lineside and onto the safety of the platforms, they were ignoring the countless requests made by East Coast staff.

As a result, the East Coast management team at that station now feel like they have no choice but to consider a ban on spotters while charters head though Peterborough.

Note it is only under consideration and may not even happen but for now there is NO ban in place.

I hope this clarifies the situation at Peterborough which is sadly due to the thoughtless actions of a minority who want to ruin it for others, I've worked on platforms for a few years and welcome anyone to stations I work at BUT they have to do so in a safe manner which doesn't put themselves in danger!

BestWestern

Established Member
On the 1st December, a steam charter came though Peterborough and despite many many safety announcements being made asking spotters to move away from the lineside and onto the safety of the platforms, they were ignoring the countless requests made by East Coast staff.

As a result, the East Coast management team at that station now feel like they have no choice but to consider a ban on spotters while charters head though Peterborough.

As both a railway employee and a railfan, it is deeply concerning how many idiots can be seen blatantly disregarding very obvious rules on and around stations, in order just to get in a shot or two. The problem of photters creeping further and further off the end of platforms, down ramps and onto the lineside is utterly unacceptable. Those who supposedly have a love of the railway ought to be the first to obey the rules; they know those rules exist and are well aware of the danger posed by disregarding them. There really is no place for 'militant spotters', however comical some people's mindset might be to most sane enthusiasts.

However, 'banning' spotters is both heavy handed and incredibly difficult. Unless you can employ hoards of staff to watch for cameras and then drag 'offenders' off the station, it just won't work. The loonies will just 'disguise' themselves as pax to get in, then set up camp at the end of the platforms. Closing off certain areas might help, but that may just encourage further dangerous behaviour. What we need is a very serious BTP 'crackdown' on those who really shouldn't be on our stations causing problems. A series of operations using plain clothes officers at known hotspots, prosecuting the dangerous idiots who ignore instructions from staff, would very quickly send a strong message. This could form a poster campaign at strategic locations and in enthusiast media, with a further message that this is being done to safeguard the future of heritage on our national network; "Respect it or lose it" or somesuch. After all, too many of these issues and it will end up being banned, we all know there are many in high places who would gladly do so.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Agreed - a ban would be unworkable (eg what to do with a legit passenger who snaps with his mobile). A stronger campaign by BTP, though, might run the risk of taking the easy option of chucking everyone off anyway. We must work with them to shop the guilty ones. And mags should not publish pics even apparently taken from unsafe vantage points

D1009

Established Member
Was there a BTP presence?

Aictos

Established Member
Agreed - a ban would be unworkable (eg what to do with a legit passenger who snaps with his mobile). A stronger campaign by BTP, though, might run the risk of taking the easy option of chucking everyone off anyway. We must work with them to shop the guilty ones. And mags should not publish pics even apparently taken from unsafe vantage points

Spotters who put themselves at risk ought to be named and shamed in railway magazines together with a campaign by both BTP, Network Rail and various Rail magazines along with the TOCs etc...

Was there a BTP presence?

I don't know, I just spoke to staff who were on duty that day.

There is a BTP office 2 mins away but they have more serious stuff to worry about then some selfish spotters, like cable thieves!

tsr

Established Member
And mags should not publish pics even apparently taken from unsafe vantage points

How about those few photographers (such as, very rarely, myself) who are given explicit and well-defined permission by trained staff to venture slightly into certain areas where the public are not permitted on normal occasions, on conditions such as being accompanied, following staff instructions and wearing PPE? Their images may then, by permission of the station & train management, be sold to agencies and/or magazines.

Trainfan344

Established Member
How about those few photographers (such as, very rarely, myself) who are given explicit and well-defined permission by trained staff to venture slightly into certain areas where the public are not permitted on normal occasions, on conditions such as being accompanied, following staff instructions and wearing PPE? Their images may then, by permission of the station & train management, be sold to agencies and/or magazines.

How about when submitting a photo taken from a location that is out of bounds to the general public, send photocopies or something of the permission you have to be there?

Crossover

Established Member
How about when submitting a photo taken from a location that is out of bounds to the general public, send photocopies or something of the permission you have to be there?

Maybe because it isn't necessarily a paper exercise?

bus man

This hobby is now getting rather silly, at a recent event at a railway / preservation centre I witnessed two people having a fight because one had "spoiled " his video.

tsr

Established Member
Maybe because it isn't necessarily a paper exercise?

Exactly that.

Sometimes verbal permission is all that's needed and indeed all that can be given.

I do not mean that photographers would be permitted onto the track, but they may be accompanied onto platform ramps or into staff-only areas of buildings. This is rare, but I have known it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.