• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainspotting In Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Hi,

Thinking about going to Glasgow for the day soon. Any areas nearby good for freight or loco hauled services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rmc1412

I have always found Edinburgh Waverley better for locos, only a short hop over from Glasgow Queen St. You'll see hsts and 91s from Virgin East Coast, there'll probably be a thunderbird or sleeper loco parked up too. Then in the rush hour there are 2 class 68 hauled commuter trains as well.

Glasgow Central is good for units, and also Partick (only a few stops out of either Central low level or Queen St low level-you'll get a different bunch of units at Partick to the ones at Central.

Hth

E_Reeves

Established Member
I have always found Edinburgh Waverley better for locos, only a short hop over from Glasgow Queen St. You'll see hsts and 91s from Virgin East Coast, there'll probably be a thunderbird or sleeper loco parked up too. Then in the rush hour there are 2 class 68 hauled commuter trains as well.

Glasgow Central is good for units, and also Partick (only a few stops out of either Central low level or Queen St low level-you'll get a different bunch of units at Partick to the ones at Central.

Hth

About the sleeper loco that may be at Edinburgh, is there any chance it'd be a 73?

me123

Established Member
In terms of freight you should get a fair amount at Coatbridge Central. Not a particularly exciting station itself, with a measly 1tph passenger wise and serving the primordial sludge that is Coatbridge, but it lies on the Motherwell-Cumbernauld route that is used throughout the day by freight trains going up North (it's essentially a bypass to the East of Glasgow). Just to the North of the station, there's also a Freightliner container base, and a few miles South is Mossend terminal. In terms of units, a steady mix of 318s, 320s and maybe even 334s (i.e. the usual).

A quick look on RTT suggests about 1-2tph throughout a standard weekday (as far as freight goes), but it may be worth having a look over at the Scot-Rail forums - plenty of gen on that site to keep you up to speed.

If you're looking for units, I'll second Patrick (14tph in each direction), Hyndland (same trains, better views/photo ops IMO). Paisley Gilmour Street has some freight passing through - not very much and mostly in the evening by the looks of things so it may be too late for you if you plan to get back to Nuneaton, but if you're in the right place at the right time there may be something to break the monotony of 380s.

Status
Not open for further replies.