• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainspotting in the UK, need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jegerpizza

Hi, i am going to London and the UK for the first time in march this year, and of course i would like to do some videos on the railways around London. I read this thread: Photographic Guidelines for Railway Enthusiasts and a now wondering if there are any other rules or some tips and tricks on not to get kicked out of stations, because i heard storys about people being kicked out of stations for doing trainspotting. I am using a video camara and a tripod to record my videos. I am also looking for some locations to do it at, any station tips? I would love to get some videos of Eurostar trains at high-speed. I will buy a travel card so it is best if the station/bridge/location are within London Zone 6. If you want to have a look at my other videos you can see them here. Thank you in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
Tripods aren't particularly welcome at stations around London, I'd avoid using one if possible, or at least go to one of the quieter stations in the suburbs. If the stations are manned I'd advise informing staff of your presence before you start, especially if you plan on spending a long time at one station, but be warned you may be told not to use your tripod.

On the whole though, you shouldn't have too many problems in the UK - I've never had any serious issues despite spending plenty of time at London stations.

The best place to see Eurostar's at speed in the London zones is Rainham (Essex), located in Zone 6, this video (not mine) gives you an idea of what's possible there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpKGoS3GOvU

Joe7802

Hi, the UK generally is trainspotter friendly although london is the most likely place you could get told off at. If you go to clapham junction and anywhere on the west coast mainline apart from london euston you should be fine and you may see some freight there too. I dont know to many places around London so there is probably other places which should be ok. Generally if your at any station in the UK dont use flash as it distracts the driver and dont set your tripod up where lots of people walk past (towards the ends of platforms should be fine (as long as your not tresspasing)

Alistair G.

To see Eurostar at speed I'd go to Stratford international (don't get confused with Stratford!) they got at quite some pace and you also get to see some UK javelin unit (395's) through there.

You can't really go wrong with any london station for being busy, ironically Stratford international can be quiet at times as it only has Eurostar and javelins that go through there.

I always enjoy clapham junction, London Bridge (although currently being remodelled so may be not as busy) and also Stratford.

If you want some good video though, the best place I can recommend is Royal Oak. It's a tube station that is one stop from Paddington, although nothing speeds through there (because Paddington is literally in view) it is an unmanned tube station, so nobody hassles about use of camera and you can get plenty of video of units and HST's coming and going out of Paddington.

Same with pudding mill lane. This is a DLR station and is unmanned, but the Anglian line runs right next to it, so again you can get plenty of video,of mainline trains without being disturbed by staff

NSEFAN

Established Member
Alistair G. said:
Same with pudding mill lane. This is a DLR station and is unmanned, but the Anglian line runs right next to it, so again you can get plenty of video,of mainline trains without being disturbed by staff
Pudding Mill Lane has been rebuilt recently, so it no longer has decent views of the lines out of Liverpool Street.

If you're at all interested in freight, Willesden Junction is quite good.

Established Member
Thanks, wasn't aware of that!. I suppose bethnal green might be the place to try then instead?

Stratford (on the Great Eastern main line, not the International station) would have much more interest than Bethnal Green, notably freight. You can get some good shots of trains at Bethnal Green climbing the bank though, so long as another train doesn't get in the way.

As others have said it is best to say hello to the station supervisor first if there is one. Avoid using the tripod, you will look too professional and to my knowledge that does need permission first, usually in writing.

Rainham isn't the nicest part of London, it is safe enough if you are sensible but mostly industrial, and plain ugly.

As for unmanned stations, you will be on more cctv cameras than you would imagine. Big Brother is watching you. :shock:

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
To add to other comments, many platforms have a yellow safety line painted near the edge of the platform. Stand behind the yellow line, otherwise some safety-conscious rail staff will tell you to move - fast moving trains, especially freights, cause considerable air turbulence near the edges of platforms. And never stand on the sloping ramps at the ends of most platforms.

Flamingo

Established Member
Go to Didcot Parkway. Ten thousand lemmings can't be wrong!

Springs Branch

Established Member
Regarding locations, to see Pendolinos on the West Coast Main line out of Euston, I visit South Kenton (just north of Wembley) which has a good view from its island platform adjacent to the WCML fast lines.

South Kenton is on the Bakerloo Tube to Harrow & Wealdstone and London Overground line to Watford Junction, so accessible with your Z1-6 Travelcard. It's a quiet station & I've never seen staff leave the ticket office here (if the ticket office is even open).

South Kenton is far enough out of Euston for Pendolinos etc to have got up a fair lick of speed, and you get to see all the traffic to & from Euston (Virgin & London Midland), plus Southern trains & freight which join the WCML at Willesden.

Only downside is your shot of an approaching high-speed train can sometimes get "bowled" by a LO or Tube train travelling on the London-bound DC line.

richieb1971

Established Member
For Eurostars go to Rainham as suggested. If you want line side shots I liked the look of Purfleet as well. Although you have to walk to a nearby road bridge where you can see the HS1 line as well as the local line.

It depends on what you want to film, but here goes.

WCML - South Kenton, Willesden (on the footbridge)
MML - Mill Hill Broadway, Cricklewood
ECML - Alexandra Palace
Southern - Clapham Junction, Hither Green, Wandsworth Road
Western - Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Acton Mainline
Eastern - Stratford

I heard Denmark Hill and Kensington Olympia is good around noon if you want freight.

I don't have any London videos per se, but you can view my content on youtube by typing in "atomiswave1971" in the youtube search. Most of my videos (not all) utilize a tripod at stations. If you see any flat surfaces that give good shots (telephones, poles, signs) then use them instead of your tripod. I have gotten tons of stable shots just using pre existing station furniture. Once I even put my camera on top of a coke machine and got a great shot.

Last edited:

srail

Hello. I will be visiting London soon. I read your comment on where to train spot euro star. Is that area safe to film from there? Also where can I find timing to see when it passes by? I researched that British Rwy train c2c drops off by the station close to the HS1. Is that the route to go? I saw a video that St. Pancras allows visitors to see the station. I dont know if they will allow for trains spotters.
Sorry for asking so many question. I will be visiting NRM in York as well via East Coast. By the way I subscribed to your channel, nice videos. My channel is sye rail. Thank you for any info.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello. I will be visiting London soon. I read your comment on where to train spot euro star. Is that area safe/acceptable to train spot from there? Also where can I find timing to see when it passes by? I researched that British Rwy train c2c drops off by the station close to the HS1. Is that the route to go? I saw a video that St. Pancras allows visitors to see the station. I dont know if they will allow for trains spotters.
Sorry for asking so many question. I will be visiting NRM in York as well via East Coast. By the way I subscribed to your channel, nice videos. My channel is sye rail. Thank you for any info.

Last edited:

richieb1971

Established Member
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/XXH/2015/05/31/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Dagenham Junction is about 1 or 2 miles away I think. But considering how fast the trains are going the timings are probably less than 30 seconds away.

The ones that start and end at Paris Nord/St Pancras are the Euro stars and the Faversham/Ashford runs are the 395 Javelins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRupVZHrxBo - From a road bridge which has a path. About 10 min walk from Purfleet station. Purfleet station is a slow line station it is not part of HS1, it just so happens that HS1 passes by there.

At Rainham you can film from the walk bridge which is right beside HS1.

And you can film at Dagenham Junction itself, which is also running parallel to HS1.

They are the main 3.

Then you have Stratford International, Ebbsfleet and Ashford which are stations on HS1.

Status
Not open for further replies.