• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram cab rides

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Does anyone know if tram cab ride videos are available to buy or if one is allowed to ride in the cab of a tram ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Heaton Park do driver training courses I think, you basically drive back and forth for half a day.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Video 125 have produced a DVD of two tram routes in Lisbon, but nothing in the UK.

It's been quite sometime since I was last on a tram, but don't some of them have glass behind the driver, enabling a forward view?

WestCoast

Established Member
It's been quite sometime since I was last on a tram, but don't some of them have glass behind the driver, enabling a forward view?

Most modern trams offer that, essentially it's because most modern trams are continental European designs and having a forward view is commonplace on many types of rolling stock designed for those markets.

Badger

Midland Metro has glass behind the drivers, but there is only space for one (and hardly even that) in the cab. That means the view is unobstructed though if you don't have someone sitting opposite.

deltic1989

Established Member
Most trams that I have ridden on have a glass or perspex 'wall' behind the driver that allows a good forward view, which is similar to a cab ride. I thourghly enjoy standing behind the driver and observing what they are doing. I did take a video once on the NET system between the Old Market Square and Bulwell, Its knocking around youtube somewhere when i can get back on my account I'll post a link.

Tramfan

Not a tram, but the Tyne & Wear Metro units have a cab that only takes up half the saloon, meaning the front seat offers a great view out of the front window.

Only downside is the photography is forbidden on the system, so permission from owners Nexus would need to be obtained before filming.

Established Member
Would be very hard to fit more than one person in the cab of a Tyne and Wear Metrocar! There are quite a few (ppor quality) videos of the system from the front seat on You Tube, although there is an official video which is available to buy on eBay and other sites which is much better. Or, you could pay the £4 odd to ride on it all you want for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.